22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Timothy B Schmit

12 54.55%
  • Randy Meisner

10 45.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timmothy Vs Randy

Default Re: Timmothy Vs Randy

I'm another one who can't choose between the two. Each have made very valuable contributions to the band.

Same here - they're both immensely talented and important contributors to the band.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

So far five people have voted for Randy and four for Timothy. On the other hand all the comments, except mine, basically say "I won't choose one of them".

I have nothing against Timothy, but I can't help feeling that Randy sounded so great to me in the Eagles that probably anyone would have sounded a bit lame in comparison. I do remember that it took me a while to get used to Timothy's voice when I heard ICTYW as a teenager. I love Timothy's personality. My "judgement" is strictly musical. Well, it has nothing to do with bass playing even, like I said. I just love Randy's voice a lot more in the Eagles context.

It's possible though that the fact that Randy's on most of the studio recordings has a lot to do with how I feel. I like to listen to studio albums more than live stuff. If they had done more studio stuff with Timothy and I had gotten used to hearing Timothy in their recorded output, I'd probably feel slightly differently.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-15-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Banned

After the initial promise of I Can't Tell You Why, I've been very disappointed with Tim's contributions to the Eagles. I'd say he's the better bass guitar player but I much prefer Randy's vocals, including the combined, Henley, Frey Meisner, harmonies.

Maybe if they had given Randy the respect he deserved, at the beginning of their career, Poco may have achieved the success they desired.

Stuck on the Border

I can't judge on the bass playing but for vocals, I'm mixed. I prefer Timothy as a lead vocalist but for background and harmony, Randy's voice is distinctive and adds an "edge" that I like. Timothy's voice blends very well with Glenn's and I believe he offers a lot of support to Glenn's lead vocals without making it obvious. If I was forced to choose, I'd go with Randy because he was part of the original sound that attracted me.

Can you edit the poll? I would like to change it and add the option as both.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Well, no surprise who I prefer, but my preference is not based on singing ability or bass playing - both guys are good at both.

I just think Timothy is ridiculously good looking with the long hair and I am completely entranced by him.

But more importantly, I think his professional story is so special. The only time he left a band (not including high school) was to go to the Eagles. He stuck with Poco for years and years on the road. He played jobs for years that were "below him" in the '80s just to keep going. He has managed to stay with the Eagles for over 20 years post-HFO. He is not a quitter, and he has been royally rewarded, which rarely happens in life. I imagine that there have been hundreds of instances over the years where he felt that he wasn't afforded the respect he was due from his bandmates, but he chose to subsume his ego and accept his role, and boy, did it pay off. He has navigated the shark-infested waters for 50 years, based on talent, professionalism, savvy politics and personality. That's what impresses me the most about Timothy.

Well, obviously, I luv Tim.... but MC explained it better than I ever could.Having said that, I love Randy, too, very much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Can you edit the poll? I would like to change it and add the option as both.
    I love it travyinman2. I've read that sentence, dozens and dozens of times and I'm still no nearer understanding it, than I was,the first time I read it. Genius

Well said MC. Both are talented but Timothy seems to have an even temperament ,patience and kindness. Add his looks and sensuality and he has my vote. I like Randy and appreciate his incredible voice but Timothy is the whole package.