Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Everyone Hate Take the Devil

Out on the Border

Default Why Does Everyone Hate Take the Devil

I've always noticed that people have wither never heard of this song, or that they don't care for it. It has a low rating on Itunes and other music providers. I know it's all opinion, but it's one of my favorite Eagles songs.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Why Does Everyone Hate Take the Devil

First of all, welcome!

As far as Take the Devil, I'm pretty sure everyone doesn't hate the song, but it's true that it's probably not generally recognized as one of the band's stronger songs. Speaking for myself, I don't hate any Eagles song. However, I have to admit although it's pleasant enough, Take the Devil is one of my least favorites. I'm just not that crazy about the melody, and, TBH, I think these are Randy's weakest vocals of any of his Eagles songs. However, this is just my very subjective opinion.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Welcome from me as well.

Personally, I do like Take the Devil. I like guitar sound and Randy's vocals.(Using the ranking list, I gave it a 3.5, between good and great.) It's one of my favorite songs off of the Eagles album. However, it wouldn't make my favorites list. The Eagles have so many great and memorable songs that,unfortunately, the lesser known songs tend to be forgotten about.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, welcome!

As far as Take the Devil, I'm pretty sure everyone doesn't hate the song, but it's true that it's probably not generally recognized as one of the band's stronger songs. Speaking for myself, I don't hate any Eagles song. However, I have to admit although it's pleasant enough, Take the Devil is one of my least favorites. I'm just not that crazy about the melody, and, TBH, I think these are Randy's weakest vocals of any of his Eagles songs. However, this is just my very subjective opinion.
    Thanks for the welcome I figured that it just wasn't one of their more popular songs I was just curious if their was deeper meaning behind why it seems to be rated so low online.

Stuck on the Border

My guess is the song isn't lowly rated online because people hate it but because they don't know it. If you look at the numbers for record sales, it's clear there must be a lot of people who know the songs on "Their Greatest Hits - 1972-1975" but who don't know the deeper cuts from the first four albums. We're talking of 29 million against less than 1 million. And there's other people who's knowledge of the band's music doesn't go much beyond the song "Hotel California".

It's one of my favourites from the first album. I love the guitar and the range of Randy's voice on this. What about that bit from 2:23 to 2:35?

Isn't it interesting that Randy's early contributions were some of rockier songs like this and Tryin'? He really was as much of a rocker as Glenn, if not more so.

Banned

I think it may have something to do with the way people listen to music now. On first listen, the skip button is primed.

Take The Devil, imho, starts off, pretty dour and and remains there throughout the song. I imagine it gets skipped within the first 10 seconds rather a lot. There's no great hook, it's certainly not a joyous listening experience and if it does contain greatness, I've yet to discover it.
    I don't think Take The Devil is a significant enough song to be widely hated though.

Stuck on the Border

It's one of my favorite Eagles songs. Absolutely fantastic IMO. Both the melodies/chords and the atmosphere. Not so long ago I told the following "story" in another thread...

My wife doesn't hate the Eagles at all, but she's not a huge fan either. Recently, when I was listening to the first album, she went "what is this??" when Take The Devil approached the chorus. And at the end she complimented the guitar solo, which she very rarely does. And the "what is this??" was said with a "this is awesome" tone.

What I'll say now refers to people who are more like passive Eagles fans. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's also a case of what people are "fed" and "taught". When they hear certain songs all the time, they learn that those are the great Eagles songs, and they learn that the other Eagles songs are not as great. Sometimes it may be hard to "outlearn" that.
    Last edited by chaim; 08-05-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I like the atmosphere. The intro makes me think of Witchy Woman, my favourite on the album. I also like Randy singing low and slightly growly.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I like the atmosphere. The intro makes me think of Witchy Woman, my favourite on the album. I also like Randy singing low and slightly growly.
    I love the bit where Randy sings a sustained note and goes for a higher and higher note as the chords change. Right before Glenn's final solo.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I love the bit where Randy sings a sustained note and goes for a higher and higher note as the chords change. Right before Glenn's final solo.
    Yes, that's the part from 2:23 to 2:35 that I mentioned. It's impressive.