Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

I guess since I'm the instigator here I should post my saga. I'm always so slow...

A Little Background
    Like GA, I was a child of the 70's. OK, well technically I'm a child of the 60's but I don't remember back that far. Consequently, I was a tad young when the Eagles first hit the air waves. I don't remember hearing about the hot new sound...it was just always there. When I started noticing the different styles on the radio, I didn't really pay attention to who was singing. I either liked a song or I didn't. [this is still a failing of mine...after Pebble Beach I bought Clay Walker's best of cd and discovered I had always liked quite a few of the songs without knowing it was him singing ] I ended up with rather eclectic taste in music due to the fact my parents listened to country and folk music, my older sister (hence my user name) was into harder rock, my friends listened to pop and I played classical in the orchestra. My cassette collection had everything from Dolly Parton to Ozzy Osbourne.

Early Eagles Memories
    One of my first memories of Eagles music is falling in love with "New Kid In Town". I attended 10 different schools during k-12, so this song was kinda "my song". I remember walking down the street to a babysitting job with my tape deck on my hip, singing along to "Life's Been Good". (we old folks didn't have walkmans, we had to carry big ol' boom boxes) I didn't put faces with the band until "The Long Run" came out. I was sitting in my best friend's big sister's room listening to that album and staring at the gatefold. Even at that young age I was mesmerized by Glenn. I would try to look at the others, only to have my eyes drawn back to Glenn. At the time I wondered why he looked sad. I guess because he wasn't smiling I must have thought he was sad. Hey...I was young. I thought "Life In The Fast Lane" was about racing cars. I had no idea what "lines on the mirror" were...i thought the mirror was cracked and the "lines on her face" was lost on me as well. I thought the "doctor" was a paramedic because they had "crashed" the car. What can I say? No sooner did I discover there were men behind these songs I liked than I moved to Tucson, Arizona. (and they broke up) In Tucson the radio played both kinds of music...country and western! lol While country music was beginning to make the turn from honky-tonk to today's more rocking sound (courtesy of our beloved Eagles influence ), they didn't play the Eagles on my local country stations. As a result, I didn't hear "the boys" much for awhile.

The Boys Are Back In Town
    I was sooooo excited to hear about the HFO tour. I wanted to go so badly I could taste it! But alas...I had four kids from toddler to pre-teen and the two oldest were in private school because the public schools where we lived then sucked. I had NO extra money for concert tickets. It really bummed me out. We weren't allowed to go to concerts in the 70's as the folks were sure we would be killed in a crowd rush a la the infamous Who concert. I was sure I would never see the boys live. My only consolation was my HFO dvd. The funny thing about that dvd is I had it for years and watched it many, many times. I always turned it off at the end of the show. But a few years ago, I let it run through the credits.

The Wow! Factor
    I was sitting there reading the credits and thinking, "I really should get up and turn this off"...when suddenly, I heard this utterly infectious laughter and the camera panned down to show Glenn with his head thrown back, cracking up! Guess what...I suddenly had a favorite Eagle. He didn't get me with the enormous talent or intelligence...he didn't get me with the good looks...he didn't get me with the charsima...or by the way he positively exudes sensuality...it was the joyful laughter and the heart-stopping grin! After playing my cd's to death (and getting half of them stolen) and watching a hole in my dvd, I was thrilled to hear that we were getting Farewell 1. I bought the eagerly awaited dvd the day it came out and, as I'd not been so lucky as to see these guys live, I decided to simulate the concert experience. I brought the dvd home, popped it in to play on the big screen tv and cranked up the volume. I sat in the middle of my living room floor, about 8 feet from the screen, for the next three hours! The only time I divided my attention from the screen was to comment on a song to my daughter. Like how much I loved the audience's extra clap as the stage went dark at the end of "Hole In The World" and during "No More Cloudy Days"...when Glenn sang, "I believe in angels, too", I gasped out loud and clapped my hand over my heart. My, then 12 year old, daughter looked at me like I had a screw loose. I explained to her that few people sing about angels and even fewer men do, so that line was really cool, especially to me as I am a firm believer. She still looked at me a little strange. lol

The Real Thing Baby!
    Finally, after years of fandom, I got the opportunity to see the Eagles live in '05 on the California Tour. I live much closer to the Oakland venue, but couldn't get good seats....so I drove all the way to LA and went to see them at the Staples venue on October 22, 2005. Whoo hoo! I was way back behind and to the right of the mixing booth. I ended up holding binoculars to my eyes the entire show.lol My arms hurt for two days afterward, but it was worth it! The sound was PERFECT!!! The guys looked great...they looked happy...and were playful. I think I actually shrieked when Glenn did the shirt-tail-flip-up-butt-shake-thing during "All She Wants To Do Is Dance"! It was a great concert experience that I thought I would never get to have. I didn't dare to hope I would ever do it again. HA! Enter my best friend and partner in crime...Soda! We were online one night after the concert when she told me she had two tickets for Sacramento. I was wishing I could go when she told me the seats were 4th row, center! How could I not go? So we met up in Sacramento on November 19, 2005 along with Dreamer and Z. (Sacramento didn't know what it was in for) We had the best time! What a night! I never dreamed it could get better than the night I lost my "Eagle-ginity" but the second time was even better! I am eagerly awaiting the new album, with fingers crossed that "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" makes the final cut and looking forward to the next tour. I was hoping for some summer dates as my son will be moving to this coast in May. I really want my boys to see these guys live before they decide to stop touring for good. (oh, I dread that day )

see part 2 as the growing Frey-fandom saga continues

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yup Soda, still married to that same guy from the prom with the Eagles providing the soundtrack to our lives over all those years, even if the songs were old!

And dreamer, the guys may have that groupie following, they just don't take advantage!

And now, the rest of the story!

We had no idea the Eagles were touring after HFO, but it probably wouldn't have mattered. With teenagers in junior high and high school, our money was pretty much tied up anyway!

Finally, around 1999 we got a computer and the internet at home. A must for the kids and homework!

Hubby and I would discuss that hopefully, we would get to go to an Eagles concert someday and how much we would be willing to pay for tickets. Fooling around on the net myself I searched for information on Eagles tickets. Low and behold, one day ticketmaster came up with them on tour in 2002 and tickets on sale for Ames, Iowa, which is about 5 hours away! I was so excited! I got 2 tickets for the 23rd row on the floor! Hey, just to be in the same building with them was a dream for me! We got to the venue a little early that evening and ran on to a guy who had 2nd row tickets that he would trade with us plus $70. We went for it and were amazed with our seats when we got in! Right in front of Timothy on the inside aisle! I'd have to say that was one of the highlights of our lives that night. To be so close to that band we had loved for so many years was just indescribable! Well, that night I managed to catch Tim's eye several times and he looked very hot to say the least! He very nearly stole me away from Don and Glenn! Really!

Well, the infatuation was renewed after that and I searched for more info on the guys on the internet. I came across Eaglesfans and One of These Nights sites. I learned that I wasn't the only one to be so infatuated with this band! There were lots of people like me!

Well, we got to go to another concert in St.Louis the next summer. We were in the 25th row this time, but lots of people moved up towards the end and I joined the crowd and managed to get within 3 rows of the stage right in front of Steuart! Don was also very close when he came out to sing and he just melted my heart that night on Desperado! I was once again!

Then, the next summer Don was doing a solo tour that I caught which you can read about in the "Meeting Don" thread! He pretty much had claimed my heart then, but the more I kept up with the message boards and watched Glenn in the Farewell One dvd, I seemed to always be watching Glenn the most and he has now taken over my heart. I think it was one of those old pictures from the early 70's that Soda posted that stole me away for good. Man that guy was hot! The Houston 76 boot completely tore me up! And that hot pink Farewell One shirt gets me, too! And those HFO shots in the Frey Fever thread?........well, I think they might do it the most!

So, here I am hopelessly devoted to Glenn!

And Don!

And Timmy, once in a while, too!

I'm sorry this was so long!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

These are fabulous stories.

PLS, I thought you might want to see your 'moment':

and I know I shouldn't do this but here's mine:

aww I'm lovin' hearing all these stories! and PLS moment is just woweee!!

Yep! That's the moment. Thanks FP!

The Frey-fandom Saga Continues
    Once again online with Soda, we talked one another into going out to Pebble Beach in February '06 to watch Glenn golf. We drove two hours to the golf course blasting Frey tunes on the cd player. We screwed up our courage and followed Glenn and his group all over the course...and even managed to get lost while following a map. lol Two painfully shy girls, we were not knocking him down for an autograph. Sweetheart that he is, he realized we were too shy and he approached us. He signed what we had brought with us for that purpose and commented happily on the fact that it was solo stuff. Now before we went out there I had heard, "Glenn doesn't care about his fans" as the reason he doesn't do meet and greets, but I was very happy to find that it was all a bunch of hot air. Glenn was a total sweetheart...even worrying about us when the temperature suddenly dropped about 15 degrees making us cold. Chatting briefly with and shaking the hand of the man whose music I so love was just wonderful. It was great to see little snippets of his personality off stage. He is deserving of the admiration he receives. As we drove to and from the golf tournament each day, playing Glenn's music, we talked about how awesome it would be to see him solo. How we would love to see him do his solo songs live. We sighed over our conviction we would never get the chance to do so. Again...HA! Within a few months we started getting news of solo dates. How lucky can two girls get? We planned a road trip for July. I flew to Indiana and we drove up to Michigan the next day for the first concert of the "Prelude to Obscurity Tour". Our fandom was fed the minute we walked thru the door and saw he had merchandise for sale. There was a low stage and we were down close having a blast when IT happened. He walked up to the mic without his guitar and sang "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance".

I was blown away. The understated instrumentation was like a beautiful frame to show off that amazing voice. Before we even came down from this high we were back on the road on our way to Canada. Then came the ultimate concert experience. I had a seat about 10 rows behind Soda at the first Rama show. The usher showed me to my seat and told me if the seat next to Soda stayed empty I could move up. Then went further and told me when the band started playing I could go stand by the stage...when I saw people moving up I should follow them. OK! When I saw people moving up during "Lyin' Eyes" (the second song) I waited for them to be sent back. When they were allowed to stay there you didn't have to hit me upside the head with a brick. lol I high-tailed it to the front and stood/danced more or less at Glenn's feet for the rest of the concert. Talk about having a blast! I guess my joy was obvious judging by the amusement of the rest of the band. lol But, oh man, WHAT a concert! We had so much fun that night and again the next. Glenn is such a great entertainer in addition to being such a great musician. We couldn't wait until the Atlantic City show. We had tickets in the 3rd row, center that upcoming Friday. Unfortunately, on Tuesday I ended up in the hospital with a heart attack. While sitting in the ER waiting for them to figure out what was going on (Doc: "it's not a heart attack...you're too young") I was trying to figure out how to get to AC or at least convince Soda to go without me. When you're on morphine anything seems possible.lol I finally gave up on this as they wheeled me in for surgery. Needless to say we missed the show. I only got out of the hospital the morning of the concert. A friend of ours took a get well card to one of the crew members we had met and he, in turn, took it backstage for the band to sign. It was so sweet...but once again we had to console ourselves with cds. At the end of September, I had to have heart surgery for the second time due to complicaitons from the original surgery. Wonderful friend that she is, Soda loaded an iPod shuffle with all of Glenn's songs plus a few extras and sent it to me the week before the surgery. Angioplasty and stent placement surgery is done with what they call conscious sedation. You are aware of everything that's going on but they (supposedly) control the pain. I call this the "hurts like hell" method. lol Because I had to remain awake and keep my arms above my head the whole time, I was able to listen to the iPod. Listening to Glenn singing helped me to keep my mind off the pain somewhat...but general anesthesia would have worked better. lol Then just last month we went out to Pebble Beach again. Glenn was sweeter than ever. I just love to watch him with kids. He must be a really great dad! He seemed to enjoy the fact that some of us fans were crazy enough to brave the weather and watch him golf. He played quite well regardless of his comments to the contrary. With his talent he could consider himself above the rest of us, but he doesn't. He's just such a nice, friendly, regular guy. I've not had the pleasure of meeting the other Eagles...but if I should be so lucky, I don't think any of them stand a chance of usurping Glenn.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I love how much detail everyone's going into - thanks again! And PLS, your post sure brings back some happy memories. :: sigh ::

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

wow PLS that's quite a story! Let me say Glenn is lucky to have a fan like you!

I agree, PLS--your story is definitely unique. I am so glad you are healthy enough now to truly enjoy Glenn.
    I bet the man has no idea what he really did to your heart!

Wow, your stories are fantastic, Brooke and PLS. What great reading, thank you! Brooke, it's wonderful that you married your high school sweetheart, and you've both shared your love of the Eagles so much through your lives.

PLS, I loved reading about your 'moment'! I knew about your illness, but how nice that Glenn helped you through your painful surgery. Thank goodness you are back safe and well now.

FP, thank you for those two moments.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

PLS! My gosh! I'm so glad you are doing ok now! What a cool story! I'm sorry you guys misssed the other concert though. Glenn doesn't know just what he does to us!

Fp, love that moment of yours, too!

I wish Glenn knew what devoted fans he has!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten