Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Well said, UtW.

A friend of mine just watched HOTE for the first time. I shall monitor him for signs of Eagles obsession, bringing up the Felder feud at inappropriate times, etc.

Stuck on the Border

I'm only an occasional visitor here, so I don't usually browse through threads that would take a lot of time - threads like this, because the stories here are long and in English! So unfortunately I tend to use the time here (and in other forums) more in threads about the actual music.

I browsed through the first few pages and there was so much fascinating stuff that I got frustrated. I did know that Soda is a relatively "new" fan, but I was surprised again by this, because it seems like she has known the band for decades. It's interesting how one can become such a fan in a relatively short time. The same thing happened with me and Sparks. I discovered them a few years ago, and now I have all their albums and Ron and Russell seem like two dear friends. In fact they spoke with me in Finnish in my dream a couple of nights ago.

"Ive always been a dreamer"'s story is interesting in the opposite way. It's always fascinating to read the story of someone who was a fan before the artist/band made it.

I don't think I have written my "story" here. At the risk of being selfish (not having read the previous stories) I'll tell my story, which is very brief:

When I was fourteen or fifteen, my second cousin, who is also a friend, showed me the famous live clip of Hotel California. He liked the song a lot. I don't remember how I felt about it at the time, and it's very hazy. I do remember discovering the Desperado album in my uncle's collection. I think he also had One Of These Nights, maybe HC. A few months ago he said that he's certainly always had On The Border. Desperado was the album I really fell in love with. I don't remember which Eagles album was the first one I bought, but I think that Desperado and HC - probably in that order - were the ones that made the most impact on me at the time. So I became an Eagles fan, and my friend remained a more casual fan.

Off-topic:

When the "resumption tour" hit Sweden we went to see the band. Me, my second cousin with his girlfriend plus a couple they knew, and a school friend of mine. The male half of the couple was a huge Eagles fan. He and his girlfriend went to the concert area (it was an outdoor concert - no seats) hours early to get close to the stage. When the rest of us went there hours later, we saw them standing outside the fence and went to say "hi". I remember saying to the guy, half-joking, "I hope they play Earlybird". I say "half-joking", because I really did love the song, but of course I knew they'll never play stuff like that. The guy had an expression on his face like "what on earth is this man on about".

Thanks for your story, Chaim.
    And your English is actually very good, if I may say so.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Chaim, thanks for your story! I didn't know where you were from til now! And yes, your English is great!

I love reading these!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I know that I don't exactly suck in English, but it's a lot more tiring for me to read in English than in Finnish. I do read books in English all the time - mostly non-fiction. When a book about music, especially rock music, has been translated into Finnish, I absolutely refuse to read the Finnish version if the original is available. You wouldn't believe how bad the Finnish translations often are. If there's a rock musician speaking in the book, his speech must be all slang in Finnish, because a rock musician can't talk like a human being. For example, the Finnish version of the classic Mötley Crüe book was incomprehensible to me, because I didn't know all the slang words Tommy Lee "utters" in the book - slang words some street people in the capital of Finland may know. But when I read the English version, I understand everything.

It's even worse when there are musical terms in the original text, and the translator doesn't know them. I'll try to give an example:

The musical term "key" in English, of course, means a key signature. In Finnish "key" is "avain". But it has nothing to do with the key signature. It's either the object you use to open a door or a key to something in a metaphorical way.

A "clef", which you see at the beginning of a musical staff, is "nuottiavain" in Finnish ("nuotti" = a musical note, "avain" = non-musical "key"). Because the Finnish version of "clef" (nuottiavain) contains the word "avain" (key), one translator used the word "nuottiavain" (clef) when the original text was about the KEY of different harmonicas Steven Tyler has on stage. So the translation basically said that Tyler's harmonicas are "in the clefs of" E flat major etc.

So I do read quite a bit in English.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-02-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well chaim - I, for one, am extremely impressed by your English. Even though I took several years of Spanish in school, I'm not nearly as fluent as you in that language. And as far as Finnish, I can't even begin to pronounce any of those words you mentioned. I've said this before here, but I really admire those who post here when English is not their first language. There's no way I'd have the guts to post on a Spanish forum.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My mother and one of my friends introduced me to the band. The specific eagle I am a fan of I Bernie because he is a great member and one of my friends told me that his step mothers brother is BErnie

Default How did you become a fan of the Eagles?

Tell us your story.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles?

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Tell us your story.
    I bought Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. Along with about 40 million other people I can't remember what lead me to it, I was in my early teens. There are a lot of artists that I like that I don't have an origin-of-liking story for as it goes back too far into the misty realms of memory.

After that, I bought Hotel California and The Long Run when they came out. My sister had One of these Nights, but I didn't get the pre-Greatest Hits albums until CDs happened and I started buying the albums again because I'm stingy like that.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles?

My parents were Eagles fans so I grew up with their music. I've known it my whole life and tended to love Glenn's voice a bit more than Don's, but they were both so recognizable to me with their solo songs and music vids too. I say I officially became a fan myself when they reunited for HFO when I was 8 years old in 1994. I remember watching that concert and just being fascinated with all of them and their songs, and had to learn more about them (especially Glenn, who also is my mother's favorite). The year before that the country album "Common Thread" came out and Travis Tritt's video so it somewhat started then for me as my family were already fans of those artists, the Eagles, and country music at the time, but HFO was the official thing for me.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."