Page 263 of 301 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

I agree with you there NMB. I once read a comment on another forum which basically said 'it's easy to label music you don't like as soft rock' and I think this is true. I would say it works as a label for pleasant straightforward love songs which are nice to listen to but where the lyrics are not really that important - I don't mean to say this as an insult in the slightest but I think that some (but not all) of Christine McVie's Fleetwood Mac tunes are soft rock. I personally consider most Eagles songs to be either country-rock or classic rock, although in the early days there were a couple of bluegrass numbers too and other songs bore hallmarks of other genres (R&B on One Of These Nights and out-and-out hard rock on Out Of Control, for instance), there's only a few that I'd truly consider to be soft rock from their catalogue (I Wish You Peace is the one that most stands out to me in this regard).

I have sometimes used the term soft rock myself, but I'm not a great fan of it and would happily use another term if there was a decent one out there. I suppose there is AOR although I dislike it as a term because I don't think it is a very good description of any actual sound. I don't really like vague, non-descriptive labels like 'Britpop' either for the same reason.

Spinal Tap and Led Zeppelin is quite a good comparison I think as I find people who aren't into that kind of music tend to see Zeppelin as the kings of excess and pomposity in rock and roll and therefore view them as the chief inspiration for Spinal Tap, when in actual fact it probably works better as the parody of bands who wanted to be Led Zeppelin but whose music and performances were overblown and ridiculous. I think the same could be applied to bands who wanted to be the Eagles but who were too soft and too lyrical insubstantial to match them.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the heads up on this, NMB. It'd be fun to watch, but I don't get IFC either. And I agree about all these classifications of music. I think the 'soft rock' title doesn't fit the Eagles either. I guess the negative connotation of the term derived from those who believe that the only legitimate form of rock music is the heavy metal head-banding stuff. Personally, I don't believe you can really put any label on the Eagles because they experimented in so many different types of music.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

Here' an interview with Irving on the Callaway Live show. A golfing chat show, I presume.

Irving was his usual engaging self, sharing a couple of great Walsh and Henley anecdotes.

Irving makes his entrance in the 5th to 6th minute.

http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/callawaylive/

Stuck on the Border

Gibson guitars have a blog on the Eagles (though I think Austin could have done a more comprehensive job!)

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...o-the-Top.aspx

It was interesting nonetheless. Thanks, UTW.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I enjoyed reading that. It didn't go totally over my head like many guitar discussions often do.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Eagles made the cover of the Rolling Stone again in Oktober - in Germany!
    http://www.rollingstone.de/rolling-s...eagles-845603/

Also a 7-page spread in the November Classic Rock

The magazines seem to be using Cass County as an excuse for writing about 70s Eagles.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I'm assuming "koks" is the German for drugs but I really don't want to Google that word, at least not at work

Banned

Irving is getting a corporate pat on the back next February;

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015...dustry-to.html

Stuck on the Border

This is old stuff from a steel guitar message board. If you scroll down, there's a post from someone who played with Don Henley, knew Glenn and JD, etc back in the day.
    http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewt...d08b832a07d294