Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Shakespeare

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Shakespeare

Do I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!! Man I can read all of his stuff everyday. My favvie is Much Ado About Nothing. LOL ohhh David Tennant's style is the best (I think). My favourite, writer/poet.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

I know you love David Tennant from Dr. Who but oh my gosh, I found his Hamlet to be horrific. I don't blame him, really - I blame the director and adapters who found it necessary to truncate the "to be or not to be speech"(!!!) and have it delivered in the action section of a Blockbuster (!!!!)... while that was one of the worst moments, the movie is full of them. I understand the desire to modernize Shakespeare but in this case, "bastardize" is a more appropriate term. The best actor in the world couldn't have saved that wretched adaptation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

LOL you and me both on the Hamlet. Not one of his finest hours for sure. LOL. I just love Shakespeare. His writings are always going to be my favvies (even though an actor screws them up). LOL.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I thought that I would revive this super old thread to say that there is an hour long show that has aired a few times on PBS called Shakespeare's Tomb. It delves into the mystery surrounding Shakespeare's death, his burial, and tomb. I watched it, and was fascinated by it, despite knowing next to nothing about Shakespeare. It's available to watch online, but I don't know if it's available for international viewers.
    http://www.pbs.org/show/shakespeares-tomb/

I would like know where a novice of Shakespeare should start. My 9th grade class was supposed to read Romeo and Juilet, but after 2 days of trying, the teacher gave up because of the language barrier. Instead, she showed us a movie of it from the 1960s. We also watched a movie of Much Ado About Nothing, but I don't remember anything about either movie. I dropped out of school not long after that, so I haven't studied Shakespeare since then (over 5 years ago). I'm pretty sure that I'll have to study his works a bit in college, and I would like to have some knowledge of his plays, so I would like to know what popular plays are the best, and what movies are the best adaptions of them.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I love a lot of Shakespeare's plays!!! The first one I ever saw actually was a ballet version of "Romeo and Juliet" when I was about 8 or 9. My Girl Scout troop went to see it and I not only loved seeing ballet but I loved the story. Then I finally read it my freshman year of high school and it's still my favorite. We also in school had to read one of his plays every year so I also read "Julius Caesar", "Hamlet", and "Macbeth". After high school I read more of his plays and really loved "Much Ado About Nothing", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", and "The Tempest". I still have others I need to read and I've really liked the film adaptions of them, including ones I didn't realize like "10 Things I Hate About You", which is the 90s modern day adaptation of "The Taming of the Shrew".
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I know you love David Tennant from Dr. Who but oh my gosh, I found his Hamlet to be horrific. I don't blame him, really - I blame the director and adapters who found it necessary to truncate the "to be or not to be speech"(!!!) and have it delivered in the action section of a Blockbuster (!!!!)... while that was one of the worst moments, the movie is full of them. I understand the desire to modernize Shakespeare but in this case, "bastardize" is a more appropriate term. The best actor in the world couldn't have saved that wretched adaptation.
    You wrote on Facebook that you thought Tennant was the best Hamlet of his generation. I had completely forgotten about this topic & assumed you were serious.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I thought that I would revive this super old thread to say that there is an hour long show that has aired a few times on PBS called Shakespeare's Tomb. It delves into the mystery surrounding Shakespeare's death, his burial, and tomb. I watched it, and was fascinated by it, despite knowing next to nothing about Shakespeare. It's available to watch online, but I don't know if it's available for international viewers.
    http://www.pbs.org/show/shakespeares-tomb/

I would like know where a novice of Shakespeare should start. My 9th grade class was supposed to read Romeo and Juilet, but after 2 days of trying, the teacher gave up because of the language barrier. Instead, she showed us a movie of it from the 1960s. We also watched a movie of Much Ado About Nothing, but I don't remember anything about either movie. I dropped out of school not long after that, so I haven't studied Shakespeare since then (over 5 years ago). I'm pretty sure that I'll have to study his works a bit in college, and I would like to have some knowledge of his plays, so I would like to know what popular plays are the best, and what movies are the best adaptions of them.
    We saw the tomb programme. It was OK.

I would start with the comedies such as A Midsummer NIght's Dream & Twelfth Night, move up to Romeo & Juliet which speaks to practically everyone, and then maybe try one of the more accessible history plays like Richard II or Richard III, before moving on to the tragedies. With the tragedies start with Macbeth, Othello, then Hamlet & fiallly King Lear.

For movies which are very accessible you can't go past Zeffirellli's Romeo & Juliet & The Taming Of The Shrew with Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton. There is also a BBC adaptation of Shrew with John Cleese. The version of Much Ado About Nothing with Kenneth Branagh & Emma Thompson is very popular.

Lord Oliver's films of Henry V, Richard III & Hamlet may be slightly dated now but they are essential viewing.

There was great excitement in London on the 23rd with the 400th anniversary of his death. Even President Obama turned up at the Globe Theatre.

http://blog.shakespearesglobe.com/po...e-us-president

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Thanks for answering my question, FP. The next time I go to the library, I'll look for those plays and movies. I think that the anniversary of his passing is why PBS decided to show that program.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time