Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shakespeare

Default Re: Shakespeare

I watched The Taming of the Shrew starring John Cleese last night. I honestly wasn't that impressed, although I love Cleese. Perhaps my distaste for the play hampered my enjoyment of his performance.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I didn't have to study Shakespeare at school, and I wouldn't say I'm over-familiar with his plays, but I love his poetry, especially the Sonnets.

This is part of the dedication from Shakespeare in the 1609 edition of the sonnets:-

TO THE ONLIE BEGETTER OF
    THESE INSVING SONNETS (Insving is of course Insuing)
    MR W.H. ALL HAPPINESS
    AND THAT ETERNITIE
    PROMISED

There is much speculation over who Mr W H was.
    (Maybe he was predicting the beauty of a future Mr W H.........Will Hollis?!!!)

Seriously though, Shakespeare & his family had a very interesting life. Don't know if any of your saw the TV series by Michael Wood called "Searching for Shakespeare". I have it on DVD and also have the book which accompanied the series. It's very good and gives insight into what life was like in England in Shakespeares time - the police state of Queen Elizabeth 1st and the Reformation(Shakespeare's family were Catholics, so it was a troublesome time for them), and about where & how his plays were first performed.
    I would recommend it as good viewing/reading if your interested in Shakespeare.

It's hard to say which are my favourite sonnets as it changes depending on my mood, but I think these are probably the ones I keep coming back to:-

29 When in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes,......

34 which includes the lines Though thou repent, yet I have still the loss
    Th' offender's sorrow lends but weak relief
    To him that bears the strong offence's cross.

62 Being your slave, what should I do but tend, upon the hours and
    times of your desire?

147 My love is as a fever, longing still For that which longer nurseth the
    disease,

148 O me, what eyes hath Love put in my head,

I do so love poetry

I've seen that documentary, Steph. I think some of it is speculation rather than known fact, but with such old documents, it's understandable that they try to "fill in the blanks."

I love the sonnets too! My favorite, I think, is Sonnet 130 - aka "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun." It's funny but has a sweet message, too. His lady isn't a gorgeous, perfect, dainty "goddess" but a more earthy, average-looking woman - yet he loves her dearly. It takes the typical love sonnet praising a woman's (often greatly exaggerated) perfections and turns it inside out, so that it becomes a love sonnet for those who "tread on the ground." When I ask my students to pick a favorite sonnet, this one always gets several votes.

For those unfamiliar with it, here it is:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
    Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
    If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
    If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

I have seen roses damasked, red and white,

But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
    And in some perfumes is there more delight
    Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know

That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
    I grant I never saw a goddess go;
    My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
    And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
    As any she belied with false compare.

I think you're probably right Soda. Most documentaries include some speculation, whatever the topic.
    Have you read the book?

There was a series of TV films a few years ago which were modern translations of Shakespeare plays, played out in today's world. I saw The Taming of the Shrew and didn't like it at all.(Rufus Sewell played one of the main characters)
    I prefer the old plays with actors like Laurence Olivier. Shakespeare's use of language is what makes it for me, so hearing it all in modern english and set in an office situation didn't appeal to me at all.

A visit to see a play at the Globe takes the audience back a few (hundred) years, too! It is entirely renovated.
    Stratford-upon-Avon has a relatively new arts and theater complex--where many name actors perform Shakespeare and other influential dramatic works. Maybe that is where the series was filmed?

Steph, I'm afraid I haven't read the accompanying book. I got the documentary off of Netflix. As for modernizations - UGH. Pale imitations of the master.

Lisa - I got to see a play at The Globe when I was in London in 2006. Unfortunately, it was one of my least favorites - the gory Titus Andronicus. Still, it was so cool to see a Shakespeare play there that I didn't care!

"Titus Andronicus!"

I think the Globe often tries to perform some of the less performed works.

Stuck on the Border

I saw Henry IV Part One there in 2010. It was a fantastic experience.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I learned this morning that there is a rather large bell that will be used in some capacity for the Summer Olympics in London. Inscribed on the bell is something from Shakespeare -- maybe from the Tempest??? I'm not positive about the Play, but I'm positive there is an inscription. Check it out Ladies and let me know!!!

P.S.. This will probably be my one and only post on this "cerebral" thread. Jus sayin. . . . . .