Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

AG, even though I haven't read it, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" has been one of my favorite episodes of both the "Sherlock" shows I watch. The CBS version just did it finally a couple weeks ago. Back to "Tender is the Night" that is the one Fitzgerald book I really want to get a new movie of. I think there hasn't been one since the early 60s.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I'm waiting for the Sebastian Bach autobio as well as the Springsteen autobio.

I just got Lita Ford's, but haven't read it yet.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm looking forward to Brian Wilson's book coming out this fall - I saw Love and Mercy and thought it was good but so much about Brian's life and music can only really be understood and appreciated thru his own words and in his own time - that's what this book is about IMHO.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I thoroughly enjoyed Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's definitely a book I plan on buying and rereading. I now understand why it caused so much controversy when it was released. Slaves escaping and making it to Canada, plus a slave who is defiant in the end.

I had to give up on For Whom the Bell Tolls. Not because of the book itself, but because of the font of the text. It was very small and bold. After a few pages, words started blending together and I ended up with a headache. Sometime in the future, I'll try again with a different edition.

Right now, I'm browsing through a book I bought called The Official Heavy Metal Book of Lists. It's a book full of lists about metal. It's a nice, refreshing break after reading so many serious books. The illustrated pictures are very comical. (I'm also reading two Eagles bios I bought, Flying High and Taking It To the Limit). The next non music book I'll start reading on is a horror/mystery book called In The Dead of Night by John Saul.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Right now reading "Out of My Mind," a memoir in essays by the late Andy Rooney, perhaps my favourite writer/essayist of all of them.

Also have his "Common Nonsense" and "And More By..." books rented from the library. Also have American Presidents Series books on Andrew Johnson and Warren Harding, colourful characters in their own right, though not among our most celebrated Presidents, rented and due for a renewal this week.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

I've got 10 different books from local libraries to read, ranging from a mystery in 14th century France involving a nun, to 2 modern day ghost stories, to an Agatha Christie novel, to 2 books about the Civil War(one fiction and the other non fiction), to murders in Las Vegas, murders in ordinary towns,, and 2 fictional books written by musicians, Jimmy Buffett and Judy Collins, which involves the rock music world.

I'm reading the Buffet book, Where is Joe Merchant?, first. Joe Merchant is/was a rock star who committed suicide by jumping off of a boat 5 years prior to the book. His sister and a tabloid reporter think that he may still alive, so the search staffs to find him.

OT: One of the sections in the book is titled "You Can't Hide Your Mayan Eyes". ( after looking on the copyright page, it says that Jimmy got permission to use Lyin' Eyes)

Judy Collins's book, Shameless, is about the life of a photojournalist in the music world who finds her world and life turning upside down and out of control. It tells her struggles to get through it all.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I just finished the final book in one of my favorite authors Maggie Stiefvater's series "The Raven Cycle", "The Raven King", and it was amazing. I've loved this book series so much. It's so hard to describe what it's about but it's a mix of a modern day take on the King Arthur stories, Welsh and Celtic mythologies, fairy tales, magic, the spirit realm, psychics and tarot, and at the base of it love and friendship. The series starts with a 17 year old girl named Blue and how she ends up meeting and befriending four "Raven Boys", the boys at the local prep school she usually hates. But these boys aren't like anyone she's ever met before and over the course of the four books they form lasting friendships and a family while searching for the possible burial site of the actual real last king of Wales, Owen Glendower (The Raven King), who possibly was buried in Virginia and magically be awakened.

So much stuff happens over these four books and it was just wonderful. It's so unique and magical, and I just loved it. I relate so much to Blue and feeling like you were made for something greater, and then being enamored with these four (later five) boys and loving them in different ways (including one romantically). Plus, some of my favorite scenes were all of them driving around in the leader Gansey's 1973 Chevy Camaro and having adventures in the magical woods. And when Gansey's car broke down once and he banged on it till it finally started back up and Stevie Nick's "Edge of Seventeen" just blared out of the radio. LOL I feel like Stevie would even like this series.

Plus, I got into Maggie's other books 7 years ago thanks to my dear friend Laura. Laura passed away last year from cancer so she never got to see how this series ended, but I thought of her the entire time and how grateful I am she recommended Maggie's books to me. It's been a huge influence on my own writing, even though I mostly write dramas, since Maggie writes character's thoughts and relationships so well. Hope those rumors of this being turned into a TV series is true as I already miss it and these characters.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I'm about 3 discs into the audio version of Mick Fleetwood's autobiography "Play On." Really enjoying it. He was certainly a child of destiny (or just incredibly lucky) falling right into the thick of 60s rock cognoscenti not long after moving to his sister's flat in London, routinely hanging out with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Plus, he seems like a warm person and speaks with great love for his family and friends.

He's very insightful about the differences in the Sixties "scenes" in the UK and the US, and has also given the best explanation I've read so far on the appeal of American blues for British musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I'm about 3 discs into the audio version of Mick Fleetwood's autobiography "Play On." Really enjoying it. He was certainly a child of destiny (or just incredibly lucky) falling right into the thick of 60s rock cognoscenti not long after moving to his sister's flat in London, routinely hanging out with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Plus, he seems like a warm person and speaks with great love for his family and friends.

He's very insightful about the differences in the Sixties "scenes" in the UK and the US, and has also given the best explanation I've read so far on the appeal of American blues for British musicians.
    That's the recently released one, right? I've read the one from the 90s, and was wondering how much different the new one is and if the recent years have a decent amount of ink.

--------
    I'm still reading on the 10 books I mentioned a few weeks ago. I've just started the next to last book of that group. The renaming books are the murders and crimes books. Once I'm done them, I'll be reading a bunch of historical fiction set in medieval times and the American Civil War, plus a few books not of that genre that I randomly picked out from the library.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yes, the one I'm listening to is from about 5 years ago. I haven't read the earlier book but now I'm curious to see how it's different. Judging by the reviews on Amazon, the first book appears to be the favorite.
    Mick seems to be deeply connected to (and possibly still in love, just my impression) with his first wife Jenny Boyd.
    I see where Dr. Jenny Boyd wrote a book a few years ago exploring the idea of musical creativity being the result of natural talent or other influences. Sounds very interesting. That's going on my wish list now.