Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don will be the keynote speaker at the Americana Music Festival today.

Default Don will be the keynote speaker at the Americana Music Festival today.

I hope its ok to start a new thread about this.

Just a reminder. Don will be the keynote speaker at the Americana Music Festival today from 12:30pm - 1:30pm Central Time at the Country Music Hall Of Fame.

This event will be stream live at http://www.countrymusichalloffame.org/streaming.

I'm looking forward to this this afternoon. I know what I'm going to watch during lunch.

Default Re: Don will be the keynote speaker at the Americana Music Festival today.

30 more minutes until live stream of Don's interview at the Country Music Hall of Fame. I'm looking forward to it. I'm taking my lunch at 12:30 so I can watch it.

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/Co...g#.Vfrs_nm3vCU

Default Re: Don will be the keynote speaker at the Americana Music Festival today.

Don's interview is on now. I will try to do a recap.

Crap. I somehow made a mistakes and exited out of my tab. So what I wrote is gone. I'm going to try to remembered what I wrote and what he said. I hope somebody is watching too to add to my notes.

Don had on a black jacket, looks like black jeans(could be slacks) and blue/black checkered shirt.

He talked about his parents. He talked about when he was 10 or 11, he saved enough money to buy himself a radio that he took around with him.

Don talked about his father. His father was born in 1907. His father dropped out of school to help out his family. His father's wish was for Don to go to college. HE went to college for 3 and an half years. He was on the Dean's List the last year he was there. He left for two reasons: to take care of his father when he got sick and then he had the opportunity to move to California with his band.

He talks about Kenny. He said very nice things about him. Kenny told him this(rephrasing), Be nice to people on the way up because you’re going to meet those same people on the way back down. Kenny helped him try to get out of his record deal with Amos to go to Asylum when the Eagles formed. During that time, Kenny was the only person he trusted in the business.He talked about Linda, but the video was messing up.

Don talked about Capitol and how they were going to categorized Don's album. He said want we called it a Don Henley album.

Don hasn't seen(read that is) the charts in 15 to 20 years when their were 6 charts. Now their are 19.

The guy played a song Dolly and Porter Waggoner was singing called Just Someone I used To Know. Don was tapping his foot.
    Beauty of the country genre. Once you get passed the horn part. He says the song is the beautiful and soulful he ever heard. A pure essential country record. He says Dolly was a humble polite person. Dolly was in LA working on a movie about her family. She had some medical problems and was in the hospital before the shot. She came to the video shot. Don took his kids to Dollywood. He wanted to see where Dolly came from. The area she was from.

The interviewer plays Ray Charles You Don't Know Me. What is the lesson from this song if you are teaching to a class. Don says its overproduction. All you need is the voice and piano. He says Ray's voice strikes a deep cord in him. Don brings up Ray can sing the phone book and it will work. LOL That album turned his head around.

Don says George Jones, Merle Haggard shouldn't be put on just a heritage channel (The old music). He's not happy about that.

Don talks about Stan. They were introduced to themselves back in the late 80s. They had a lot in common. Their parents were teachers(Stan's father was a professor and of course Don's mother was a teacher), they are from the south. Don writes songs with people he hangs out with. Its a mutual understanding. Stan is good at supplying a line that's missing from a song. Stan knew more about Nashville and who were the best musicians there.

There's more or I have to go back to work.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-19-2015 at 09:43 PM.

He talks about Merle. Don had already had his vocals when Merle got it. They did too many takes and it pissed him off. Merle said what happen to the music. Don said I don't know, but something happened. His life long dream was to sing with Merle.

He talks about Waldon Woods. Its been a fulfilling and educational task he's done. He talks about Thoreau. He talks about read a book called "Last Child in The Woods."

The interview just ended. They started a little late, but ended at 1:45pm Central Time. It was a great interview. The interview was fast pace that I really couldn't get everything Don said.

I heard it will be on the Country Hall Of Fame website. So I will keep an eye out on it for those who weren't able to see it.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-17-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I got to listen to part of it. Good job, shun!

Don looked great! His speaking voice is sooooo deep! I hadn't listened to him talk for a while!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

I just finished watching Don. He was on for around and hour and 15 minutes. Enjoyed the story about working with Dolly and Merle.

Yes he did, Brooke. I loved what he had on.

I still can't believe this guy has a tenor singing voice and has a baritone voice, but I can listening to him for hours. I like the part when he said Ray Charles can sing the phone book and still sound good. Don have you ever tried that. LOL

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Crap. I somehow made a mistakes and exited out of my tab. So what I wrote is gone. I'm going to try to remembered what I wrote and what he said. I hope somebody is watching too to add to my notes.

Don had on a black jacket, looks like black jeans(could be slacks) and blue/black checkered shirt.

He talked about his parents. He talked about when he was 10 or 11, he saved enough money to buy himself a radio that he took around with them.

Don talked about his father. His father was born in 1907. His father dropped out of school to help out his family. His father's wish was for Don to go to college. HE went to college for 3 and an half years. He was on the Dean's List the last year he was there. He left for two reasons, to take care of his father he got sick and then he had the opportunity to move to California with is his band.

He talks about Kenny. He said very nice things about him. Kenny told him this(rephrasing), Be nice to the people you meet because you have to be nice to them when you're on the way down. Kenny helped him try to get out of his record deal with Amos to go to Asylum when the Eagles formed. He talked about Linda, but the video was messing up.

Don talked about whatCapitol wanted to categorized Don's album. He said wantwe called it a Don Henley album.

Don hasn't seen the charts in 15 to 20 years when their were 6 charts. Now its 19.

The guy played a song Dolly and Porter Waggoner was singing called Just Someone I used To Know. Don was tapping his foot.
    Beauty of the country genre. Once you get passed the horn part. He says the song is the beautiful and soulful he ever heard. A pure essential country record. He says Dolly was a humble polite person. Dolly was in LA working on a movie about her family. She had some medical problems and was in the hospital before the shot. She came to the video shot. Don took his kids to Dollywood. He wanted to see where Dolly came from. The area she was from.

The interviewer plays Ray Charles You Don't Know Me. What is the lesson from this song if you are teaching to a close. Don says its overproduction. All you need is the voice and piano. He says Ray's voice strikes a deep cord in him. Don brings up Ray can the phone book and it will work. LOL That album turned his head around.

Don says George Jones, Merle Haggard shouldn't be put on just a heritage channel (The old music). He's not happy about that.

Don talks about Stan. They were introduced themselves back in the late 80s. They had a lot in common. Their parents were teacher, they are from the south. He writes songs with people he hangs out with, a mutual understanding. Stan is good at supply a line that's missing from a song. Stan knew more about Nashville. Who were the best musicians there.

There's more or I have to go back to work.
    thank you very much!