Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Austin City Limits

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Don will be doing Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I won't be watching this but it seems to me that as with the album, all these guests are overshadowing Don himself. And yet some of the guests are wasted on the album. Mick Jagger certainly is. Dolly Parton, on the other hand....I am bemused by the review above, most of which appears to be about the backing singers rather than Don.

I am just not that interested in male/female duets. Even Leather & Lace doesn't really grab me. I know Don has done these duets before & I never took to them. I have taken to them even less on this album.
    Well, I wouldn't say they overshadowed Don because he sounds great, but I'm not impressed with duets either. For a favorite artist, I just prefer that it's all about the artist and I don't need the others there at all. I know these things are done all the time and I think, as I said before, that it's all about the money as far as selling it. You get all these other famous artists to make an appearance and those artists fans will also buy it. Don, being an older rock artist trying something new, needed these people to help him sell his cd. Ca ching! $$$ Nothing wrong with that. Just saying, for me, I don't need the other artists to get me to buy his cd.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

I tend to agree with you, Lacken. I do understand that people have favourites (I think my username gives me away ) which is why I have never been on any other individual's page. Now of course, I know that might seem extreme but my time is limited because of other commitments so I just look at my own favourites ie: Don and the Eagles in general. I was going to say something about FP's comment regarding ACL but you got in before me. I have never head Glenn's After Hours so feel I can't comment on it. FP, if you have no interest in watching ACL then fair enough but don't diss it if you haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, the show and the album is all Don and if anything I agree with what Brooke says about some of the 'stars' not really being necessary on those songs where they just sing harmonies but I think Don wanted to make a point about the standard of today's country music so for want of a better word, he 'used' his connections to get what he terms 'authentic' voices on the albums, names that people recognise so that they will actually listen to the album. This includes those not necessarily Don Henley fans but country music fans.... But nobody outshines or overshadows Don either on the album itself or in the ACL show - he is the star and it's a really good show. Give it a try, FP and you might actually enjoy it.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I finally got to see Don'S ACL show and I really enjoyed it. He was in great form and I loved the way he interacted with Trisha Yearwood and Martina McBride. To me, It really makes a show when the performer is loving what they are doing and Don was.

The backing singers were not in the spotlight for this show, but from other concert reviews they seem to be doing ok even if they are so young

So it was worth the wait and I hope ACL put the full uncut version online soon.

Can I just say to FP, if you're not going to bother to watch the ACL show and its obvious that you don't like Cass County, why are you commenting on this thread? I would understand if you had genuine criticism but all you do is compare it to AH (which it is nothing like) or complain about who Don is singing with...I don't like AH, but you don't find me on Glenns threads criticising Glenns music or comparing him to Don.
    Sorry if I've annoyed anyone with this comment, but some days I just have no tolerance for BS
    I have not, repeat not, compared CC with AH. Show me where I have done so. I do however agree with Brooke's comment above that I don't see the need for all the duets & guest stars. I bought the album & surely that gives me a right to comment on it. I have said hardly anything about what I think about the album as a whole except to express disappointment, which I say again I am entitled to do. It would appear that if I do say anything else I will again be told that I should not be commenting in this forum. despite what you say about 'genuine criticism'.

*ETA: I made one post about AH in the Discussion on CC thread. This was in response to a comparison with CC by someone who is no longer on this board after F50 had said something about it. There were then some negative comments about AH. Since then I haven't mentioned AH in relation to CC. When the CC songs were being released before the album came out, I said nothing. It was others who were saying they didn't like When I Stop Dreaming, not me.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-27-2015 at 05:25 PM.

I have not, repeat not, compared CC with AH. Show me where I have done so. I do however agree with Brooke's comment above that I don't see the need for all the duets & guest stars. I bought the album & surely that gives me a right to comment on it. I have said hardly anything about what I think about the album as a whole except to express disappointment, which I say again I am entitled to do. It would appear that if I do say anything else I will again be told that I should not be commenting in this forum. despite what you say about 'genuine criticism'.

*ETA: I made one post about AH in the Discussion on CC thread. This was in response to a comparison with CC by someone who is no longer on this board after F50 had said something about it. There were then some negative comments about AH. Since then I haven't mentioned AH in relation to CC. When the CC songs were being released before the album came out, I said nothing. It was others who were saying they didn't like When I Stop Dreaming, not me.
    I have no problem with critique - the more the better sometimes and I also never said you could not comment on the thread if you didn't like CC - but sometimes there is too much comparison regarding Don and Glenn about who does what first or better. I did look for those comments regarding AH and CC, but they are gone.

I never mentioned When I stop dreaming - I don't particularly like that song so it makes no odds to me what is said about it.
    What annoyed me was your comment about not bothering to watch the ACL - that's fine if you don't want to watch it, but don't make negative comments about it regarding singers, performances etc if you haven't seen it.
    And that's all I'm going to say on this subject
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I have no problem with critique - the more the better sometimes and I also never said you could not comment on the thread if you didn't like CC - but sometimes there is too much comparison regarding Don and Glenn about who does what first or better. I did look for those comments regarding AH and CC, but they are gone.

I never mentioned When I stop dreaming - I don't particularly like that song so it makes no odds to me what is said about it.
    What annoyed me was your comment about not bothering to watch the ACL - that's fine if you don't want to watch it, but don't make negative comments about it regarding singers, performances etc if you haven't seen it.
    And that's all I'm going to say on this subject
    Not by me, in this instance. Please don't put words into my mouth. The comments about the two albums occur at page 36 or so of the Discussion thread.

My comments were really more about the overuse of guests on the CC album, then, if you wish me to put it that way. If you enjoyed all this on the ACL show, fair enough.

Not by me, in this instance. Please don't put words into my mouth. The comments about the two albums occur at page 36 or so of the Discussion thread.

My comments were really more about the overuse of guests on the CC album, then, if you wish me to put it that way. If you enjoyed all this on the ACL show, fair enough.
    No words were ever put in your mouth as I never mentioned you but anyway, on with the thread.......
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Whoo hoo! Finally got it to work!

Signal check - Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Here's Talking To The Moon. TTTM didn't make the cut. I'm still looking for video clips from the taping. TTTM was posted on Youtube on Ocotber 5. So I'm hoping I can find more.

Great piano playing by Will. I see Steuart back there on the keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-tGdHXzYL4
    So glad they have this online as well as the other song that didn't make it, WCBYH (which I think is a great song). I recorded the rest of the program on my DV-R and enjoyed it, but I feel like they left off the wrong songs when they cut these two. Thanks shun!

(Side note: I changed the thread title since it's aired now.)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Default Re: Austin City Limits

Can anybody justify Don's decision to only perform Talking To The Moon in Texas. I'd love to hear it live but I aint gonna fly to Texas for the privileged.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Can anybody justify Don's decision to only perform Talking To The Moon in Texas. I'd love to hear it live but I aint gonna fly to Texas for the privileged.
    I sure can't! I would have loved to have seen him do it too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten