Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Austin City Limits

Default Re: Don will be doing Austin City Limits

Dirty Laundry: I loved the smile Don gave when he came on stage as the audience applauded him. Don was having fun. I loved when he was telling the audience sing along or the I can't hear you, sing louder at the end. Too funny. You don't see Don doing that that much. Great solos from Chris and Steuart.

When I Stop Dreaming (with Ashley Monroe): I think Don did the you're super hot thingy. You know what I mean. You're on fire. His voice was kinda shaky on this song. I really didn't enjoy this song. Don sounded great, but I just didn't enjoy Ashley's voice. I loved when Don high five Ashley at the end.

The Cost of Living (with Jamey Johnson): Don joked about Merle was on vacation with Willie and Kris. I guess there's an inside joke on that. Great performance. Jamey sounds like Merle a little. Jamey looks he can be a member of the Duck Dynasty family. LOL I loved all the names on Jamey's guitar. I could spot Don's signature a mile away. LOL

That Old Flame (with Martina McBride): Don and Martina were having too much fun. I loved the little glances they made. My favorite part was when Don and Martina did the "just a little cup of kidness" signal with their fingers. It was too cool. Also loved when Don pointed to Chris Holt. He does that with Joe when Joe does a far out solo. He doesn't mind spotlighting his band and that's what I like about him.

Train in the Distance: I love the duet Don and Lara Johnston did on the chorus. She's got a great voice. I love the effects from Will and Scotty. All the instruments were great.

Heart of the Matter: Great performance. I give Don an A for trying to hit that famous high note at the end.

Where I Am Now (with Trisha Yearwood): I love this song. This was in an attitude in your face kind of song. I loved when Don signal Trisha to come over to him. I love the introduction he did for Trisha.

Take a Picture of This: A great performance. The background singers were great on this song. Great guitar solos from Steuart.

She Sang Hymns Out of Tune (with Martie Maguire and Emily Robison): It was great to see Martie and Emily. Emily has a nice voice and also Martie. Its nice to hear their voice singing other than Natalie's when they sing background with her.

Praying For Rain: Great performance. I don't think nobody stood out with their voice. I could hear Erica's, Lara's and Lily's voices more, but the others didn't stand out.

Boys of Summer: Enough said. What a way to end the show. Don was having fun.

The Bonus clips.
    Words Can Break Your Heart: I loved the fact that Don and Trisha sing a verse. I think this is how the song should had been from the beginning. Now that makes why makes sense why Lara sings a verse in concert.

Talk To The Moon: I hate that this song wasn't in the broadcast. It should had been. Don was in Texas and they should had this song in the broadcast. Great piano playing by Will.

Overall. It was great and fun. I was singing along throughout the show. I'm sick and I would get choked up when I was singing. Don's voice was shaky in some part of the show and Don sounded nervous when he was reading the teleprompter. It was nice to see Michael Thompson coming from behind the keys and playing other instruments. I'm very impress with Chris Holt.

It was worth the wait.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-25-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Great summary, shun. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote except that I thought Ashley Monroe did a great job on When I Stop Dreaming. She's not Dolly, but there's only one of those!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Is anyone else having trouble trying to get this to play through online?

Could just be my signal.

Nope. Its playing fine with me.

Yeah, that figures. Thanks.

Just watched the show, and it was amazing! Love how Don sometimes dips his singing voice so low that it turns briefly into his speaking voice for a word or two. It's becoming his trademark throughout his shows and adds a special effect to his vocals.

Really enjoyed the stripped down version of TTTM. It's one of my two favorite songs from I Can't Stand Still.

Shun, many thanks to you again, for posting the link! Loved your review, too!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really enjoyed the show! I'm amazed that Don got all of those famous singers together at one time to do it!

The thing that bothers me about it is, why have all these different performers when all they do is a very small amount of background vocals or one line in a song? I'm sure all the hype of having the famous people helps out with the sales, but it seems a waste of wonderful talent to me. For instance, in That Old Flame with Martina, Don sings two verses before she ever comes in with hers. She's just standing there watching him for all that time. Trisha's song was the same way. I have to say I think Don and his regular back ground vocalists could have done as good of a job by themselves. I hear money talking!

Don't get me wrong, I loved it and Don. Just sayin'.....
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    For those who won't be able to watch it, they already post it on the website.

http://video.kcts9.org/video/2365590389/
    Thank you so much for posting this. I really enjoyed watching it, and somehow missed it on TV.

JMO, the background singers are soooo young. I know this has been mentioned before. Great show, as I am sure it is everytime DH sets foot on stage!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I really enjoyed the show! I'm amazed that Don got all of those famous singers together at one time to do it!

The thing that bothers me about it is, why have all these different performers when all they do is a very small amount of background vocals or one line in a song? I'm sure all the hype of having the famous people helps out with the sales, but it seems a waste of wonderful talent to me. For instance, in That Old Flame with Martina, Don sings two verses before she ever comes in with hers. She's just standing there watching him for all that time. Trisha's song was the same way. I have to say I think Don and his regular back ground vocalists could have done as good of a job by themselves. I hear money talking!

Don't get me wrong, I loved it and Don. Just sayin'.....
    I won't be watching this but it seems to me that as with the album, all these guests are overshadowing Don himself. And yet some of the guests are wasted on the album. Mick Jagger certainly is. Dolly Parton, on the other hand....I am bemused by the review above, most of which appears to be about the backing singers rather than Don.

I am just not that interested in male/female duets. Even Leather & Lace doesn't really grab me. I know Don has done these duets before & I never took to them. I have taken to them even less on this album.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-26-2015 at 09:31 PM.

I finally got to see Don'S ACL show and I really enjoyed it. He was in great form and I loved the way he interacted with Trisha Yearwood and Martina McBride. To me, It really makes a show when the performer is loving what they are doing and Don was.

The backing singers were not in the spotlight for this show, but from other concert reviews they seem to be doing ok even if they are so young

So it was worth the wait and I hope ACL put the full uncut version online soon.

Can I just say to FP, if you're not going to bother to watch the ACL show and its obvious that you don't like Cass County, why are you commenting on this thread? I would understand if you had genuine criticism but all you do is compare it to AH (which it is nothing like) or complain about who Don is singing with...I don't like AH, but you don't find me on Glenns threads criticising Glenns music or comparing him to Don.
    Sorry if I've annoyed anyone with this comment, but some days I just have no tolerance for BS
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"