Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Don videos on YouTube and other video sites

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks Dana - Actually, I had heard before that it was Sharon, and I meant to mention that in my earlier post. Duh! However, I didn't realized his kids were in there. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the little girl Don's is walking with (backs turned to us) and holding her hand is Annabel.

Another sad similarity between Don and Glenn's wives is that don't they both have debilitating diseases? I think I heard Sharon has MS and Cindy has Lupus. Am I correct here?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yeah, I remember Glenn saying something about that at the Lupus benefit he attended a few months ago, and I believe Don has also talked about his wife's MS in several interviews.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm sorry to hear that about both Don"s and Glenn's wives. Hopefully they are in a remission or something.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Inside Job is really a chronicle of how his life had changed up to that point. It is very interesting to listen to his albums in order and see how they reflect whatever stage of life he was experiencing when he wrote those particular songs, similar to the manner the songs the guys wrote on their first Eagles albums changed from their latter albums.

In Don's particular case, on I Can't Stand Still, he seems to be talking about the difficult time he went through after the breakup of the Eagles in Nobody's Business, yet songs like Lilah and Talking to the Moon are undeniably romantic. In Building the Perfect Beast, everyone is familiar BOS and SG and ASWTDID, but you can only guess what his mindset must've been when he wrote songs like Man With a Mission? On End of the Innocence, there is the gorgeous title track, along with Last Worthless Evening and HOM, but I always thought I Will Not Go Quietly is the quintessential Don song. I feel the same way about You Don't Know Me At All on Actual Miles--that song is just so DON.

Then, he takes a few years off from songwriting "to let the well fill up," as he puts it, gets married and has three children and releases Inside Job, with Everything is Different Now, Taking You Home, the touching lullaby Annabel, and My Thanksgiving. Of course, I'm just referencing a few songs from each album, but talk about a difference in mind-set!

Thanks for that analysis, Dana. I agree that Don seems to put a lot of personal experience into his songwriting, and as a result, we get little snapshots of where he was mentally in that period of his life. It is quite a difference to look at them all in order like that!

To go along with the screen shots in the other thread, here are two of my very favorite Don solo songs:

The End of the Innocence

The Heart of the Matter

I find them both very moving emotionally as well as gorgeous melodically. Some of Don's best work, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I find them both very moving emotionally as well as gorgeous melodically. Some of Don's best work, IMHO.
    Thanks for putting these up, and I agree wholeheartedly!

Some more Don vids - these are live from Tokyo 1989:

Sunset Grill

New York Minute

Dirty Laundry

And, my personal favorite...

End of the Innocence

Magnificent!

Thanks, soda!

Can you try to put up ASWTDID? I love watching his backup singers run around dancing with everyone during that song. They look like they are having such a good time, and they even crack Don up at one point.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Wonderful videos. I really love Don's solo songs. His ballads are always emotional and have beautiful melodies.