Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songs written about or for Don

Default Re: Songs written about or for Don

Yeah Pueblo, I'm confused why that is "tactless" as well. Plus, if Stevie sometimes says Joe is the love of her life and sometimes she says Lindsey is the love of her life, that's her right as a lady. She's never said Don is the love of her life as far as I know, but he obviously means a lot to her as a friend.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Ouch, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. And I did say it was MY opinion. That's the generation gap at work here. You see it one way, I take it another. And in the interest of good will here, I have nothing further to add to this thread.

Well, actually I do have more to add: I said Unintentionally tactless, that was my point: that she let her mouth run before her brain kicked in or whatever. Also I know that you people on this board love Nicks....some of us, myself included, don't and so whatever I say about her you will take as abrasive but I stand by whatever I said or will say in the future. Now go ahead and gang up on me, think I care?
    Last edited by pueblo47; 04-13-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Pueblo, you didn't "stir up a hornet's nest." However, when you provide an opinion - especially a controversial one - you have to be prepared for the possibility that some people may not agree.

Border Desperado

I think glenn and don wrote "you never cry like a lover" anticipating that Don would someday be involved with Stephanie.

I dearly love her, but she can kinda be a bit 'much'... (oh wait, so can Donald)

Lest we forget, these people are just people we went to high school who just happened to get hellaciously popular and rich... Joe is the goofy kid, smart, but purposefully erratic, Bernie is the grumpy kid arguing with the teachers (you always hear him say 'you are so full of crap',) Glenn is always faking notes to get out of class, Randy hangs out at the auto shop or ag shop with a clingy girlfriend who always needed his jacket, don was a nerdy kid (in the band!) who tried acting out the angry young man thing, while wearing clean clothes and having the praise of his teachers. Stevie was the girl who wasn't a cheerleader (more like a songleader or pep commissioner) who always had a boyfriend who was like 30. Lindsey was the high strung kid, really smart kid on the cross country team who dreamed of being famous and really great at something (he would have founded Apple if the Steve's hadn't)...

Felder? he's the guy with the wine colored el camino who was selling the occasional nickel bag to pay for gas while he worked part time caddying and bringing in carts at the golf course.

We know all these people... you just have to strip away the fame and think of kids you knew...
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have always understood that the Henley affair was nowhere near as intense as her relationship with Joe and that it was comparitively brief, even if she wrote all those songs about him.
    And let's not forget that she wrote a song for Joe, and a very moving one at that, after he told her about the death of his child:

Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You

Border Desperado

I kinda understand the 'tactless' comment. The music business is pretty incestuous (lots of affairs among lots of people who are friends) and so, like a really small town, some degree of circumspection is probably kind.

I don't know if it matters if we know who Stevie's 'love of her life'... but, I'd imagine that along the way she has had some pretty intense relationships, I'd assume that the relationship she has with her husband is fairly important to her... so, to enumerate "the ONE" publically probably doesn't do much for Joe and probably causes some degree of hurt. Stevie can be spiteful and say and do things to 'get' people... so, her comment about Joe and the whole song thing about Emma has a high degree of likelihood that it was at least as hurtful as helpful.

It is noteworthy that the details of the accident are very vague... I could imagine that Emma's mom might not be thrilled about hearing Stevie's story. It could be seen as exploitive. It also kind of seems that Stevie had the 'upper hand' in the Joe relationship, but not in her relationships with Lindsey nor Henley...

She is a complex person full of twists and turns and lots of drama and really awful power play type stuff... I kind of shrugged when I heard the Joe proclamation... I think she knew it would cause as much (or more) pain for others than just 'truth telling' or whatever her motive was.

Her proclamation may have been just good ol fashioned narcissism.

I remember in graduate school running into a buddy from undergraduate school and after a bunch of beers at the Green Leafe Cafe he drunkenly told me that a girl we both knew was "THE ONE" but he'd gotten engaged to another girl. He is a good guy and I doubt he ever uttered that again... no matter how true it might be... it would cause more hurt than the tearful or drunken admission would bring satisfaction.

When I have been asked that question by people, I recognize it for what it is... a trap.

The good news in this case is that when pretty much anyone read the Stevie Nicks proclamation... most people said the same thing, "whatever."

just kind of TMI and most likely manipulation or her immediate deep emotion which usually colors her actual judgement.

I can just hear Joe upon hearing that.. "wow man. that.. that's a lot." and then a little laugh. as his current wife kind of dies a little inside.

oh yeah, stevie told waylon jennings that leather and lace was written after seeing an interview of he and his wife Jessi Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    but, I'd imagine that along the way she has had some pretty intense relationships, I'd assume that the relationship she has with her husband is fairly important to her... so, to enumerate "the ONE" publically probably doesn't do much for Joe and probably causes some degree of hurt
    I suppose it might be hurtful to her husband if she were married. She's not. Unless you mean that guy she was married to for like three months in 1983?

As far as what Joe's fifth wife (as of Dec. 2009) thinks of Stevie... somehow, I doubt she's "dying inside" over what Stevie says!

oh yeah, stevie told waylon jennings that leather and lace was written after seeing an interview of he and his wife Jessi Colter.
    Stevie says in her liner notes for TimeSpace that Waylon Jennings called her and asked her to write a song for him to sing with Jessi, and that song became "Leather and Lace" - but that she wrote it with Don and he was the only one she felt could sing it with her when she decided to record it herself (Waylon was having major difficulties with Jessi and decided he no longer wanted to record it as a duet, so Stevie told him he couldn't have the song).

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I suppose it might be hurtful to her husband if she were married. She's not. Unless you mean that guy she was married to for like three months in 1983?

As far as what Joe's fifth wife (as of Dec. 2009) thinks of Stevie... somehow, I doubt she's "dying inside" over what Stevie says!

Stevie says in her liner notes for TimeSpace that Waylon Jennings called her and asked her to write a song for him to sing with Jessi, and that song became "Leather and Lace" - but that she wrote it with Don and he was the only one she felt could sing it with her when she decided to record it herself (Waylon was having major difficulties with Jessi and decided he no longer wanted to record it as a duet, so Stevie told him he couldn't have the song).
    Sorry, I haven't kept up... I remember when she married the guy, he was the husband of her friend Robin Anderson who'd passed away.

I don't have the strong sense of what Joe Walsh's wife would feel (any of them) but I am pretty sure that the affairs of the heart are complicated and that some folks might well be hurt by her comments...

Again, the response was in response to the folks who couldn't understand how Nicks' comments could be construed as tactless. For most here, you probably wouldn't see them as tactless, but at least you might be able to see how someone might see them as tactless.

Again, the response was in response to the folks who couldn't understand how Nicks' comments could be construed as tactless. For most here, you probably wouldn't see them as tactless, but at least you might be able to see how someone might see them as tactless.
    I can buy that the comments could be considered tactless if people got their feelings hurt. I don't buy the "Evil Stevie" aspect, but I can see how you might assume the worst about her since you believed she had been cheating on Kim Anderson for 27 years. It definitely would be beyond tactless to be married to one guy and still call some other guy the love of your life!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - interesting how we got from songs written about Don to here, but anyway, I noticed that pueblo had brought up something earlier about Don and Mojo Nixon that hadn't been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    Was it in one of the threads here that I read about that and Don was at one of his shows and they wound up becoming friendly and all? Anyway, showed Don can be a good guy any time he wants to, which is most of the time.
    I found this on Wikipedia, pueblo. Of course, we all know that Wiki isn't 100% reliable, but this does ring true with other stories I've heard about Henley joining Nixon on stage once to sing the song, which apparently earned Don a bit of respect in Mojo's eyes ...

Several years after its release, Henley jumped onstage with Nixon at The Hole in the Wall in Austin, Texas to perform the song. When Henley jumped out of the crowd, the dumbfounded Nixon immediately asked, "Is Debbie Gibson here too?" Nixon later praised Henley in this way: "He has balls the size of church bells!"

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016