Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "I Can't Stand Still"

Default Re: Happy Birthday I Can't Stand Still

Just adding a little to the 'atheist' discussion... From what I can remember, Don has never said he doesn't believe in God - he just remains cynical. I think that is more to do with organised religion and the faults he sees in it. I have heard him state that he lost a lot of faith in a higher being when his father died. The traditional church upbringing didn't satisfy him anymore - it didn't answer his questions. The impression I get is that, perhaps like many of us, he would like to believe in God, but is, or has been, disillusioned with the whole idea of religion. There is an interview that took place in Caddo Lake, in the early '90s, during which Don is asked whether he believes that his father can see him now (or words to that effect.) Don thinks about it and says, "On a good day." He's not entirely dismissive of the idea of a higher power, I don't think, but neither is he a firm believer.

I would also recommend watching this video. If not for Don's mentions of 'divinity in nature', then for his husky voice, his weathered hat and his delicious stubble. Off to dreamland again...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A164rFlmNF0[/ame]

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post

I'm listening to the looping sample of ICSS on amazon and he sings so dang high. I realize he's a countertenor and whatnot but sometimes I cringe on his behalf. I really ought to work at some point here but it's much more enjoyable to debate things, and so difficult to muster motivation when you're fatigued. Thanks all for keeping me company, in cyberspace.

Countertenor? I thought that was the name given to the 'castrati' singers of the 18th century. If any member of the Eagles comes anywhere near that, it's Schmit, but I don't think he does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countertenor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter...tertenor_voice

This specifically states that the term countertenor is only used in classical music. Henley is a standard tenor, like Frey.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Troub - I totally agree with your comments about Don and his religious beliefs. Based on everything I've read, my interpretation is that it's not that Don doesn't believe in God or Christianity - he is just a disillusioned Christian. Like many of us, his faith has been tested at times, and he questions what he perceives as hypocrisy in organized religion. However, I don't remember ever reading that he totally disavowed God or Christianity. Now I am basing my comments on just how I interpreted what I have read. Like Soda, if I missed something, anyone please feel to correct me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks for this whole religion discussion in this thread. I didn't know those things about Don. Seems Don and I have something in common afterall.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

May be I am so into the oldtimesalwaysbettertimes spirit, I don't know maybe I can help it but... As No Fun Aloud seems to me the best Glenn's work (special mention for Strange Weather), ICSS is for me the best Don's piece.
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

You know, thelongrun, I can see what you're saying. It holds second place for me, but it's a strong album.

OK, well, I've decided to go basic with my interp of the cover.

This album cover represents Don's emergence from the past and coming into his own. The Eagles are the past - yes, the 70s and not the 50s, but the use of the 50s retro in black and white makes the point more effectively than using images that would recall a few years prior. The fact that the kitchen is so cheap and undecorated represents the creative limitations he suffered as an Eagle.

The only things that are color: Don and the clock. Don's color represents that he is no longer trapped in the past and limited by it. The clock that is also in color symbolizes that fact that it's indeed time for him to assert himself as a solo artist.

The center of the photo, and what always catches everyone's eye, is the flaming match. Fire = danger; he's taking a risk. The way he's staring at it as if hypnotized by it intrigues me. Perhaps the urge to take the risk has seized control of him and he has no other choice but to answer the call and step out. No longer can he resist it as he has done in the past (blow out the match and put it aside). Again, it is time.

The "Johnny Can't Read" aspect may be because that song explicitly mentions the Eagles at the end... "there's a new kid in town"... so it also is that theme of kicking the past to the back.

I also haven't dealt with a lot of the additional symbols one can derive from the cover, but I think I'll stop here because I believe that's the gist.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "I Can't Stand Still"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "I CAN'T STAND STILL"!!!

Today Don's first solo album turns 28 years old. Wow! I still love this album and it remains my second favorite of Don's solo material. I was going back through this thread, and that is quite an interesting discussion that we had about the album last year.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Happy Anniversary to "I can't stand still"

I'm afraid i'm not as eloquent as you lot, but i've enjoyed reading back from the beginning of this thread and have duly noted all of your very interesting theories

My favs are, in no particular order

Long Way home
    Nobody's business
    Talking to the moon
    Lilah
    The unclouded day
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Happy Birthday I Can't Stand Still!

The beginning of a great collaboration between Don & Kootch.

Long Way Home, Talking To The Moon and Lilah are stunning ballads. These three songs in particular contain some beautiful lyrics. My favourites being:

We spend so much time weeping and wailing and shaking our fists,
    Creating enemies that really don't exist
    - Lilah

All these comings and goings that cut like a knife,
    These small simple pleasures that make up a life
    - Lilah

Oh Lilah, this ground we hallow is ours to tend but not to keep
    - Lilah

When the hot September sun down in Texas has sucked the streams bone and turned the roads to dust - Talking To The Moon (aah, the imagery)

There's three sides to every story;
    There's yours and there's mine and the cold, hard truth
    - Long Way Home

I fall asleep with colours flying over sand and foam - Long Way Home

You've also got to love the album that brought us Dirty Laundry!

You don't really need to find out what's going on,
    You don't really want to know just how far it's gone...

Last edited by Troubadour; 08-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm not as familiar with all the songs on this album as the hardcore Don Fans, so I wouldn't be able to do any kind of appraisal. But Lou, those lyrics that you have posted are gorgeous, and I love the pics of Don and Danny! The first one is extremely cute!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP