Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Inside Job"

Default Re: Inside Job

*Interuption* FP - I LOVE, LOVE. LOVE the avi pic!! Beautiful...

ok, on with the discussion...I can not enter into this as I have never heard any of the CD...

~Tonja~

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I guess I must not have made my point very clear here, FP. What I really meant was that it is not necessary for any of us to have to explain our reasons for liking or disliking various songs. And it is especially not necessary for anyone to have to apologize for their feelings about certain songs. You and I seem to not agree on many of the songs on this album and that is fine. What makes different songs affect different people in different ways - who knows???? Sometimes it just can't be explained. For those who want to try to explain their feelings, they are certainly entitled to do that. For those who don't want to or can't explain, that is their right as well. Either way, we can't pass judgment on the way someone else feels.

When you quoted the specific part of my post regarding Damn It, Rose, I thought you wanted an explanation of what I meant. I am the sort of person who if I can do so prefers to explain rather than just say 'I love this'!

I remember during my junior year of high school, we were on the poetry section of my A.P. English class and my teacher gave us the lyrics to They're Not Here, They're Not Coming and Goodbye To A River to analyze and interpret. I remember her playing the songs after we all discussed the lyrics. At the time, I had already heard of Don Henley but wasn't completely aware of who he really was. I was also hearing Taking You Home on the radio quite a bit and because I really liked that song I ended up buying the album. It was the first album of his that I ever bought.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Must've been an interesting discussion. As is this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    But frankly, I think the biggest problem for me is that even though there was over a 10-year gap, this album was the follow-up to the EOTI masterpiece, and therefore, it was kind of a letdown. Don had set the bar so high with that album, that it was difficult to outdo himself - very similar to the problem the band had between Hotel California and The Long Run.

Being the big year gap between cds it wasn't a surprise to me that Inside Job would sound different. One of the reasons I don't usually compare is because every artist that I've grown accustom to has brought something different to the table with each release(single tracks/cds). Whether they stray too far from the particular sound or take it to the extreme opposite. It's basically what keeps me interested in the bands I listen too.

For me this is also true when Hotel California and The Long Run are compared, I hear them as equals, not one over the other.

And since I don't want to wander too far off topic. I do think Goodbye To A River has grown to be one of my favorites. Not to take anything away from other tracks but I agree with FP that it does bring a sense of "this is what it's been all about and I also get that feeling with My Thanksgiving.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I finally broke down and bought this dvd and watched it last night. My oh my, does Don look good or what?!

This is the only photo of that era I can find with him in the same outfit (and it doesn't do him justice):

Does anyone have any screen caps of it? Hint! It's in a beautiful venue and all the band looks great (besides Mr. Henley!).

I really enjoyed all the songs until the last one, HC. What in the world possessed him to do it that way?

Anyways, if you don't have it, you must get it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

He looks great there!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Are you kidding me? He looks great there!
    As you can see in my post I said "He looked good". In my opinion, the picture does not live up to the dvd at all. Have you watched the dvd EL? I couldn't find any pics on the site from the dvd.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    As you can see in my post I said "He looked good". In my opinion, the picture does not live up to the dvd at all. Have you watched the dvd EL? I couldn't find any pics on the site from the dvd.

Oh I know I was talking about his version of HC. I haven't checked out the DVD yet, but I will have to look on Amazon.

Yay, good for you, Brooke! It's great, isn't it? This is the only screencap I have to hand (from what is probably my favourite bit - Talking To The Moon. Sigh!) but it won't be too much of a chore to do some more...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--