Thread: Nickelback

Default Nickelback

Just heard Nickelback's version of Dirty Laundry.
    A bit heavy for me but the track is getting lots of press.
    The band said "Sometimes you play a song in the studio for fun. Sometimes it's so fun you have to record it and share it with everyone".
    Wonder what Don makes of it??

Banned

Default Re: Nickelback

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    Just heard Nickelback's version of Dirty Laundry.
    A bit heavy for me but the track is getting lots of press.
    The band said "Sometimes you play a song in the studio for fun. Sometimes it's so fun you have to record it and share it with everyone".
    Wonder what Don makes of it??
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nicke...dirty-laundry/

Nickleback get more stick from the "Rock Cool Mafia" than Don Henley does, don't they?

Starts off very promisingly but the lead singer hasn't got the vocal chops to prevent me pining for Henley. The guitarist aint no Walsh either.

I suppose Henley will be missing out on some royalties with the track being streamed for free. I thought the same thing when the Eagles streamed Souther's, How Long, for free back in 2007.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I think it sucks. And if Don's opinion of The Ataris' version of The Boys Of Summer is any indication he probably feels the same.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

My brother just found it on Spotify and it actually sounds heavier than I'm used to from them. I don't think it sounds that bad and the lyrics are probably more timely than ever. I tend to like covers that sound closer to the original and this still does imo, but just more of a heavy metal version. I thought it was going to be way worse than it is. LOL I used to like Nickelback in the beginning till they became overplayed and their music just went downhill. I did also like The Ataris' version of "The Boys of Summer" but I was in my punk rock phase in my teens at the time so it was the type of music I was into then besides older music. I'm probably more forgiving being a younger fan though with covers.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't like any cover I've ever heard of The Boys of Summer. AFAIC, there is one and only one artist's version worth listening to and it happens to be awesome.

As far as Nickelback's version of Dirty Laundry, while it doesn't make my ears bleed, I don't think it holds a candle to Don's original.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I don't mind this version - it has a good rock beat to it but obviously not a patch on the original especially with the vocals and the guitar solo.
    It's not a bad effort - but they really shouldn't mess with the classics
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

Hmmm, I got about half way through and then thought, 'nah!' - the vocals just didn't do it justice.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I can't even listen. I like Nickelback fine, but no one should mess with Don's songs, or Glenn's either. Just don't. jmo
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten