Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "I Can't Stand Still"

Default Re: Celebration of "I Can't Stand Still"

Happy anniversary to I Can't Stand Still!

My two favorites are "Talking to the Moon," a wistful ballad set in TX, and "Them And Us," Don's lyrical nod to the Cold War.

I don't know why, but the line, "We'll all be good and crispy," from TAU makes me laugh! Wasn't that a slogan for KFC at one time?
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Border Troubadour

This is my favourite album of Don's. Talking to the Moon, Long Way Home and Lilah are my favourites but I love the whole album.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

A very happy 34th anniversary to Don Henley's "I Can't Stand Still" album.

I'll admit I'm not as aware of his solo works(beyond the hits) as I am of the others. Should probably try to rectify that.

"Dirty Laundry," the one I know best from this album, is a classic.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Happy 34th anniversary to the album that launched Don's solo career!

I must admit I don't know this album quite as well as his other 1980s releases. I don't think it was available on iTunes in the UK until recently either. However, I loved reading through this thread, as the song/lyric analysis is very detailed. Dirty Laundry is one of his best solo tracks and he absolutely rocked it live when I saw him in June! I also really like Long Way Home. Another of the tracks I'm more familiar with is Johnny Can't Read, which I'm not so keen on, but I partly chalk that down to his choice of name for the illiterate kid!

WS82, I remembered a topic I saw a while back that you might find interesting if you want to explore Don's solo music further. I've provided a link here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=4243

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Happy 34th Anniversary to "I Can't Stand Still"!!! My Dad has this on vinyl, cassette, and CD and it was played a lot while I was growing up as well as Don's 2nd album. He's always been more of a Don Henley fan, as well as one of my younger aunts, so I was hearing his solo stuff the most out of all the Eagles when I was kid but Dad also loved Joe's while Mom loved Glenn's.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO I CAN'T STAND STILL!!!

Just love this album. Thematically, I find it very similar to The End of the Innocence in it rebellious discontent. Interesting that these are my two favorite Don solo albums. I guess I like discontent rebel Don best.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 34th Birthday to I Can't Stand Still.

I love a lot of the songs on this album. This is the only album I don't have of Don's.

I'm a couple hours late for the celebration of this album, but anyways, happy 34th anniversary to I Can't Stand Still! This and TEOTI are the top 2 Henley albums for me. I have a hard time picking which one's my favorite b/c I don't have an great urge to skip songs on ICSS but I do for Shangri-La on TEOTI. I think I like ICSS better than TEOTI, just based on my urge to skip if I'm studying or driving. I bought this for $6 at my local used music store about 4 months ago.

Thanks to the previous detailed posts on the songs on this thread, I appreciate Long Way Home and Talking to the Moon more now. Before, I dismissed them as slow songs that didn't hold my attention when driving. Now, I'll listen up for it. The songs that I like on the album are: I Can't Stand Still, Nobody's Business, Dirty Laundry, Lilah, and The Unclouded Day. The rest of the songs are good, but these are the ones that I put on my phone.

I like Don's demeanor for the title track b/c it sounds like angry passion. The lyrics are a bit obsessive for me, and I didn't mind them before. Watching O.J. Made in America kind of ruined the song for me, but I try to ignore the effects of that documentary on me. Let's just say it made me paranoid for a couple weeks.

I like the drums for Nobody's Business, and I just like how the song goes and how he sings it. For Dirty Laundry, it's the one that's the most popular on the album, and as mentioned in previous posts, it's too bad that it wasn't the lead single. If it was, then more copies probably would have been bought and buying a physical copy of this album wouldn't be as difficult. It also makes me a little sad that DL is the only song that he plays live as of late.

Lilah is my favorite ballad on this album, and I like how sweet and tender the lyrics are as well as how personal and reflective they sound. I know he has sang this on Inside Job Live, so that's a plus. Lastly, I'm a sucker for the reggae sound of The Unclouded Day.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm very late, but happy 34th anniversary to the album that launched Don's solo career!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I'm even later but "Happy Anniversary" anyway. I got this back in the day b/c of the title song, IIRC. It was the first Eagles solo material I ever bought. I remember being impressed with Johnny Can't Read, Talking to the Moon, Long Way Home and of course, Dirty Laundry. I still have the cassette but I haven't listened to it in a very, very long time. I'll have to hear it again for old time's sake.