Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love Rules

I'm afraid Waffle Stomp isn't really a favorite of mine.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Re: Love Rules

The oldest thread ever revived on here, by far. I do this strictly for the benefit of the newer users of this forum.

In addition to this being the 34th anniversary of the release of Henley's “I Can't Stand Still” album, today also marks 34 years since the release of the film “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” The film's soundtrack features contributions from all 'Long Run'-era Eagles members, sans Frey(though “I Found Somebody,” “Party Town,” or “The One You Love” would have been sturdy additions to the film score).

The best of the 4 Eagles solo songs to appear in the film score was easily Henley's song “Love Rules.” A beautifully sweet, tender ballad whose absence from his ''Can't Stand Still'' album is...conspicuous. I mean, Felder's and Schmit's contributions made it onto their albums of that time(and Walsh's hysterical “Waffle Stomp” would have fit perfectly on the “You Bought it—You Name it” album if he'd chosen to include it), so why not this one? A real curiosity...

This is the only video I could find of this song(Universal & Warner are notoriously antsy about the Eagles and their solo material), for those who might be interested in giving it a listen: https://vimeo.com/77269446
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I like Love Rules as well, but I can understand why Don didn't include the song on I Can't Stand Still. To me, it doesn't seem to fit with the concept of the album. Even the ballads on the album are pretty mature and introspective, so Love Rules may have felt like a fish out of water on the album, IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I think Love Rules sort of fits in with Johnny Can't Read- the insecure high school kid.

It's my second favourite Henley song after A Month Of Sundays.

Border Desperado

That's a nice song. It's back in the day before Don's voice was gravelly.