Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: East Texas: The Henley Tour - Border Members' Trips to Don's Old Stomping Grounds

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: My trip to Linden, TX Don's hometown.

Shun, what was the vibe like? Were people friendly? It looks like kind of a lonesome town.

They were very friendly. Being a southerner myself, I felt so at home.

They didn't mind talking about Linden or even a little story about Don. I would run into people who went to school with Don. You either went to school with Don, Don's mother was your teacher or you knew his mother.

A nice lady who I met on Facebook was my tour guide. She showed me everything. The water tower, Music City Theatre, the Courthouse, stores that Don owned. Everything. She was soo nice and she's always up to showing anybody around town. She has her own shop now and she's a photographer.

I didn't they mind us fans coming to their small town. They knew we were there because of their famous son and Don naming his solo album after Cass County. I think I heard for a while that Don didn't want anything around town to say he's from there, but I guess he changed his mind for them to put up the two billboards on the highway to promote Cass County. Like Don said in one of his interviews from last year, they have a way highway that bypass Linden. So if you know about Linden, people are not going to go through the town since its off the highway.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh, that's good to know. Sometimes in kind of an isolated place like that, people can be funny about "outsiders." Or maybe I've just seen too many bad movies...

I think they are trying to bring the town back to life. With Don's current album out, its going to help their town when visitors come to see the place where Don lives.

As I was in Linden, they were talking about fixing up old historical landmark. A few months before I went to Linden, the water tower was on the verge of being tore down, but if it wasn't for Don paying to have people do a survey on the tower and the people of Linden rallying together to save it, it would had been tore down. So a foundation in Linden is doing everything to try to fix old historic building. The water tower and the old fire station in front of the tower is being fixed up. When I was there, they were starting work on fixing up the water tower.

Shun, I need to get in touch with your tour guide. When I went down there Saturday everyone had pretty much "closed up shop". Of course that might be because it was Saturday. But I would like to return and have a tour and talk with someone that's in the know. That would be cool.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: East Texas: The Henley Tour

Just read about 50 Places Straight Out of Nightmares on the Weather Channel.

I wonder if Don is amused about Caddo Lake being chosen as number 17?

The picture does look pretty scary!

https://weather.com/travel/news/cree...hotos-20140514
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

When you think about it, Caddo Lake is kinda scary.

I'm thinking about going to Caddo Lake when I head to Houston in January. I just debating. I probably go on Friday, spend the night somewhere closer and then head to Houston on Saturday. I'm staying in Houston until that Monday since its a holiday. I have 3 more months to think about it, but I really want to see Caddo Lake since I didn't get to see it last year when I went to Linden. I was time restraint and I had to be in Missouri before 8 and I had 6 more hours to go from Linden.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I can imagine the Caddo Lake area looks scary when the weather is dreary and overcast surrounded by the forest.

That picture does like look eerie! It reminds me of "Legend of Wooley Swamp" by the Charlie Daniels Band. Just in time for Halloween, too.

So listen...if you dare, ya'll....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jxFzfvZazaU

hey, I just realized I'm a Border Rebel now!

It was only a year ago today, I drove the 4 and an half hours out of the way to Linden to see Don's birthplace. IT was soo worth it even though I was super tired from driving 6 more hours to Missouri.

Like I said in another thread. I'm thinking about going back to Linden and also see Caddo Lake in January when I head to Houston to see Don.