Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Default Re: JD Souther

BerniesSurfboard, how was JD’s show? He’s going to be in my area next month and I’m thinking about going.

Also, JD gets recognized by his alma mater. I thought this quote was cute: "I still have my bumper sticker that says 'I got my start at Amarillo College'.”

”JD Souther named AC distinguished alum, to perform on campus Oct. 26” Panhandle PBS, Oct. 17, 2017

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, Soda and I went to see JD at The City Winery in Nashville on November 6th, which, of course, was Glenn’s birthday. Before the show, we went to the Broadway District for dinner and walked the strip to take in what the locals refer to as ‘Honky-Tonk Central’. I was quite surprised at how packed the place was on a Tuesday night. We had dinner at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville and we both ordered a special drink (I had a Screwdriver and Soda ordered a ‘Last Mango in Paris’) so we could toast Glenn on his birthday.

We then drove to the winery where we had pretty much the best seats in the house. Our table was right at the foot of the stage – we weren’t the center table, but the next table over to the left of center. Once seated, we ordered a dessert and a bottle of wine to share. We looked to see if they had the red wine that we drank with Glenn in Niagara Falls, but it wasn’t on the list so we chose another brand of the same wine. Although, not surprised, I was disappointed they didn’t have ‘our’ wine, but, on the positive side, figured it did save us a lot of $$$$. It turns out that JD’s neighbor’s were seated at our table so we got a few interesting stories from them as we chatted before the show. We learned that there had been a Meet & Greet before the show that we didn’t know about, so we were pretty bummed about that.

The show was very enjoyable – JD mixed some old and new material. He told several ‘Eagles’ stories about Glenn and Don and performed The Best of My Love, New Kid in Town, Heartache Tonight, How Long, and Heart of the Matter. But honestly, I was disappointed that he didn’t do Doolin-Dalton and The Sad Cafe. One of the highlights for me was that he brought out a young male quartet of singers to help him with the harmonies on How Long. I can’t remember their name, but their faces were all beaming with excitement at the thrill of being there. He did my favorite solo songs – You’re Only Lonely, Faithless Love, and Black Rose. But, I have to admit that we were very disappointed that he didn’t mention Glenn’s birthday. Towards the end of the show, I was looking for an opportunity to get his attention so I could subtly remind him about it, but he doesn’t really make eye contact when performing and I didn’t want to shout at him. The other big disappointment was that Soda says he normally signs autographs after the show, but he didn’t do that on this night, probably because of the aforementioned Meet & Greet.

But, in spite of some personal disappointments, overall I enjoyed myself and am glad I made the trip. Besides, it’s always fun to visit my family and get together with Soda. So on the way walking to the car, I sang my own personal birthday song to Glenn. Soda dropped me off at my aunt’s house and I felt a tinge of guilt as I hugged her goodbye knowing what a brutal trip home she had ahead of her and that her workday was to begin at 7:30 a.m. the next morning. My next day was pretty brutal too as I made the 10-hour drive home, but, at least, I got a few hours of shut-eye before leaving Nashville.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Glad you had fun at his show. We saw JD here in Memphis a year ago and really enjoyed set and stories. We really like the City Winery venue in Nashville. We had a M&G with Don Felder there a few years ago and we also saw Timothy perform there on another occasion as well. Very intimate setting and we have always been lucky with who we end up sitting.

More recently, we were in Nashville for the Pilgrimage Festival (which got rained out and cancelled)this past September, but coincidentally received an email from City Winery offering free tickets to see Debby Boone. Since we had no other musical plans, we took an Uber from the rained out festival to make it to the winery in time to see her. Needless to say we were dressed for a rainy music festival so we felt a little out of place when we found out our seats were front and center! We were seated with an Italian family from New Jersey (think Sopranos) that were dressed to the nines but they were very friendly and laughed when we told them we were Pilgrimage Festival refugees. That concert was very entertaining and we got to meet Debby Boone in the entryway after the show and get a picture with her and an autographed CD.

I really enjoy getting out in downtown Nashville - I remember one of the bands playing at Margaritaville one time playing Take it Easy while we were there eating. It is really hopping down on Broadway any day of the week!!
    Sorry to get off topic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Glad to hear about both of your shows! Thanks for sharing!

I would like to see JD, for sure!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Rebel

Glad you and Soda had a great evening celebrating Glenn, Dreamer. It sounds like a good show. I love "You're Only Lonely." I also love his duet with James Taylor on "Her Town Too." I saw him in 1976 opening for the Eagles, but I'm sure I was impatiently waiting for him to finish his set. I could appreciate him much more now! I wouldn't be too disappointed that he didn't mention Glenn's birthday. I don't think remembering friends' birthdays is a top priority in any of my guys lives!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Cute story, ltef. And MyMy - I wasn't shocked that JD didn't mention Glenn's birthday, but I was really hoping he would since it would have been his 70th. I wish I could have got his attention so I could've given him a 'reminder'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Just now getting my internet connection back and home. Disgusting how often it goes out now. The apartment manager says we're getting a new provider... when??

Anyway, I too was a bit disappointed not just that he didn't mention Glenn's birthday, but that he didn't talk about Glenn nearly as much as he did in Memphis. The Memphis show was a very different vibe. He played rarer songs and he talked a lot more. Maybe it was because he was bit "off" vocally in Memphis and he was trying to make up for it. I was sad for Dreamer's sake he wasn't singing autographs but I guess if they made people pay for it before the show, it would tick them off if he gave them away after the show. I'm thinking the VIP thing must have been for Winery members, though, because there was no mention of it on the site.

JD's voice was strong and the show was good, though. Glad to see him still truckin' after all this time.

As for me, though... I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home and swerved onto the other side of the road. Thank God there was no other cars on the road so no one was hurt; it was a small county road, not a highway. Still, I think I might chill on the 12:00-4:00 am drives.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Oh my gosh, Soda, I'm so glad you weren't hurt! Please be careful! (Did you tell your Mom? I bet not!)
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

As for me, though... I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home and swerved onto the other side of the road. Thank God there was no other cars on the road so no one was hurt; it was a small county road, not a highway. Still, I think I might chill on the 12:00-4:00 am drives.

Thank God you are okay! A friend of mine did that just a couple of days ago. She banged herself up and totaled her car. She drove across the road and spun into a ditch. I hope you weren't injured and your car is not messed up.

I told her she should listen to rap or something equally irritating to help keep her from going to sleep! I'm glad you enjoyed the show, anyway. Take care, now!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

I did not tell my mom! lol! I did pull into a church parking lot and take a nap!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten