Page 143 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    This was totally uncalled for IMO. Your comments on Glenn's voice are just not at all correct. Glenn's voice lacks nothing. NOTHING. That's not up for debate.

His voice is equal to Henley's. It has every quality Don Henley's does. So no, one could NOT argue his voice wasn't the best. Any real Eagles fan would realize that.

I think it was silly to have him sing less songs as time went on. Don, as good of a singer as he is, isn't the best vocalist in the band. He was no greater than Glenn.
    I didnt say Glenn's voice was bad. When I say plain I mean he is just a plain flat out good singer. Everyone else's voice had some quality that made it stand out more. Randy had a sharper edger and of course the vocal range, don had the rasp. Joe had the nasal quality . These things make their voices more "unique" but necessarily better. Glenn's voice was improtant in that it was a voice you could relate to. It smooth and just flat out good. I'm not going to say Henley is better but many people believe that. And that includes, Glenn and felder. Rolling stone had Henley in 80's as one of the top 100 singers of all time. Obviously they could be wrong but you cannot act like it's obvious Glenn is the same as don. It could go either way. You are right Glenn's voice lacks nothing but it doesn't have the same timbre as Henley. That is objective fact. You don't need to say untrue things to make your point. I believe Henley and Frey should have sang the same amount and should have shared vocals more

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    QUOTE BY: YEF "I don't think that was an awful choice but I dont think what don did was wrong. It was respectful, reserved and I think he knew his place. I believe Don would rather do his own thing than spend time with the Eagles. I don't think it was selfishly motivated. This continuation I believe is neither good or bad. It's just the band going on for a year or two. A couple years that will provide lifetime of good memories to some. Is that not worth a watered down eagles for a couple years? These years will not be remembered by those who didn't see them. It's the most irrelevant time in the bands history and is only relevant because Glenn is dead."

YEF - We could go on arguing with you forever about this.You state Don would rather do his own thing than spend time with the Eagles. Well, if that is true, than that is what he should/would be doing.(NOTE:His touring last year was contractually obligated via his Cass County cd before Glenn passed and should not count regarding this). He made numerous statements, including as late as Dec. 2016, that the Eagles would no longer perform again. He stated Glenn was irreplaceable. That without Glenn, the founder, leader, co-lead singer/songwriter, it would be a money grab. Well, that is what it has become and it is selfishly motivated. They have replaced Glenn. You think that Glenn's voice is plain and not the best in the band, but I and many other people here disagree with you. His voice was different but beautiful. The same with Randy's and Bernies's were. You ask if it is not worth a watered down Eagles for a couple of years and my answer is a resounding NO. We feel this cheapens the legacy of the Eagles. I think it is safe to assume that had Don Henley passed instead of Glenn, we would not see this version of the Eagles. Glenn would never have tried to replace Don H. and understood his importance to the legacy of the band. This was a bold and calculated move by Don H. and Irving Azoff motivated by money. Yes, Glenn was about money, but not enough to cheapen the legacy of the band he loved and spent 3/4 of his life guiding and performing in. And THAT is mine as well as numerous other people's point.

NOTE:MY ABOVE STATEMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE WHO HAVE CHOSEN TO GO SEE THE BAND. I HAVE STATED NUMEROUS TIMES THAT THOSE WHO WANT TO GO SHOULD DO SO. THIS IS A RESPONSE TO YEF STATEMENTS ONLY.
    I'd like to point out some things you said that do not indicate my true position on the issue. I never said Glenn's voice wasn't the best. I've seen people who love Glenn describe as plain andn that's the word I used to describe. It's lack a unique quality which is not bad. It doesn't put him at a disadvantage. Some people have straight up good vocal talent like Glenn and some have voices that are different and that's where their love comes from. I don't think this cheapens the legacy. The legacy is what people make of it, and no offense only the staunch eagles fan are complianing. Most people don't think it does (This doesn't make me right it just means that the legacy is unchanged in most people's eyes and that is what determines legacy) don has said that the Eagles touring has taken away time from his solo work and his family life. He would have released his stuff earlier if not for the touring. I could argue Glenn cheapened the legacy by firing felder. I don't believe that but he fired a core member (along with don) over issues largely caused by money. I do understand your and other people's point. I've addressed the issue of cheapening the legacy many times but people keep ignoring that. The legacy was solidified by 2010. Anything onward could not do harm to it unless something from the seventies comes out like say Jackson Browne wrote hotel california. Nothing from 2010 changed the legacy.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    The band replaced Glenn in terms of his role during concerts but didn't replace his legacy, leadership and stage presence. The on stage banter is now all gone. They didn't replace Glenn. They replaced his singing which at this point isn't a big deal. The legacy matters
    Just an opinion. Very much so. But a healthy understanding of both sides of course means that you understand why some people might have a problem with this comment.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-15-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Stuck on the Border

YEF, I enjoyed your post about seeing Eagles 3.0. The excitement came across in your writing.

I'm less keen on the more recent posts but that's partly because the subject has already been covered extensively. It's a problem when you pick up on things later than most. I think I understand how you feel because I wasn't able to watch the documentary until six months after many people here and seen and discussed it and with Felder's book, I was five years behind. It was quite frustrating to find that many people had said all they wanted on the subject.

As for "best" voices and whether they are replaceable, it's something I've wondered about. There are better singers than Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B Schmit and Joe Walsh. Bringing in a replacement for Don might, in theory, sound better but would it sound right? My current position is that Don Henley is "best" at singing Don Henley songs and although he doesn't sound as good as in his prime, he still sounds better than anyone else on those songs. The same was true of Glenn and whoever they might bring in to sing his songs, they will never be as good a Glenn Frey as the original.

I'm not going to get into the Felder firing.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I am more than willing to say you guys have done more as fans of the Eagles but for some reason you won't accept me as being one. That's my issue. The sound quality in some ways is better because having the youth helps BUT it's not the true Eagles sound so it's in my subjective opinion worse. Glenn's singing wasn't the least of his abilities. It was just the least important as of now. Glenns voice is great and maybe my favorite but it lacks a special quality. It is more plain sounding which is a reason why I like it. But what I loved about Glenn was, he was the leader of the band, the guy with the jokes, the man up front, the one who called band meetings. In a band with 7 Guys who have sang lead vocals, his work as a writer, composer, leader, and band mate made him so special. His work ethic was spectacular. These great traits made Glenn so great. His voice was great but one could argue it wasn't the best in the band. The band doesn't miss his voice. The miss the person. The reviews of the Eagles concert say they've been great. And they have. They replaced a great voice with two good ones. So the main drop off his Glenn's personality. I accept challenges to my views. That's why I commented on this. But it needs to be accurate and respectful. I praised you as being an exceptional fan but you think I act like I'm better than you. Why?
    Umm....ok. This is one of the most bizarre things I've read here. Glenn's voice is one of the first things I fell in love with in the Eagles. I guess I fell in love with something I imagined in my head? You don't feel Glenn's voice had any special quality, so the band doesn't miss his voice? I understand where you're coming from as a fan, but the way you've written your more recent posts makes it look like you want to prove that the way you feel is more valid. And, by the way, a higher register (the way you described Randy) doesn't make a voice less "plain". (EDIT: I gotta tell my dad that his ears have failed him, because for him Glenn's voice is what makes Eagles the Eagles for him.)

So Glenn's voice didn't "stand out"? It's weird, there are three well-known people singing in the bridge in Randy Newman's "Short people", but Glenn's is the only one I recognize. There are more examples.

This is getting so silly. I think I've said all I have to say about this.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-15-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Stuck on the Border

YEF - I am not putting words in your mouth. You said "His singing is least among them". That of course is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion. Most of us hear do not agree with this. I have made my feelings known and do not care to go on and on about this. We will have to "agree to disagree". I am glad you were able to see them and make your dream come true.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-15-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    QUOTE BY: YEF "I don't think that was an awful choice but I dont think what don did was wrong. It was respectful, reserved and I think he knew his place. I believe Don would rather do his own thing than spend time with the Eagles. I don't think it was selfishly motivated. This continuation I believe is neither good or bad. It's just the band going on for a year or two. A couple years that will provide lifetime of good memories to some. Is that not worth a watered down eagles for a couple years? These years will not be remembered by those who didn't see them. It's the most irrelevant time in the bands history and is only relevant because Glenn is dead."

YEF - We could go on arguing with you forever about this.You state Don would rather do his own thing than spend time with the Eagles. Well, if that is true, than that is what he should/would be doing.(NOTE:His touring last year was contractually obligated via his Cass County cd before Glenn passed and should not count regarding this). He made numerous statements, including as late as Dec. 2016, that the Eagles would no longer perform again. He stated Glenn was irreplaceable. That without Glenn, the founder, leader, co-lead singer/songwriter, it would be a money grab. Well, that is what it has become and it is selfishly motivated. They have replaced Glenn. You think that Glenn's voice is plain and not the best in the band, but I and many other people here disagree with you. His voice was different but beautiful. The same with Randy's and Bernies's were. You ask if it is not worth a watered down Eagles for a couple of years and my answer is a resounding NO. We feel this cheapens the legacy of the Eagles. I think it is safe to assume that had Don Henley passed instead of Glenn, we would not see this version of the Eagles. Glenn would never have tried to replace Don H. and understood his importance to the legacy of the band. This was a bold and calculated move by Don H. and Irving Azoff motivated by money. Yes, Glenn was about money, but not enough to cheapen the legacy of the band he loved and spent 3/4 of his life guiding and performing in. And THAT is mine as well as numerous other people's point.

NOTE:MY ABOVE STATEMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE WHO HAVE CHOSEN TO GO SEE THE BAND. I HAVE STATED NUMEROUS TIMES THAT THOSE WHO WANT TO GO SHOULD DO SO. THIS IS A RESPONSE TO YEF STATEMENTS ONLY.
    NKIT, I agree with some of what you said, but I don't agree that it is selfishly motivated. We don't know what their motivation is. I happen to think it is not so much money-driven as wanting to play together and honor Glenn. At least that's what came through at the classic East. My opinion (and I know it's just my opinion), is that Glenn's death has brought the other three closer together. Case in point: Don wanting Joe and Timothy to celebrate his birthday with him. I think that the three "remainders", as they've been rather sarcastically referred to, realize that they have a limited time left to tour, and they choose to spend some of it touring together with Deacon and Vince because they can. None of them really needs to make the decision based on money at this point in their careers. Of course, they want to make some money doing it. That's business.

But stating that it's selfishly motivated is your opinion. None of us knows what truly motivates these men, including me. It's anyone's guess.

Stuck on the Border

Maryc - TY for your thoughtful post. I agree - we have no idea what motivates Don, Tim and Joe. I was mainly responding to YEF. I agree that Glenn's death probably freaked them all out. He was the youngest and his passing made them realize how precious your time left and your family are. This is something people sometimes take for granted. I hope it has made them closer - they have a shared experience that binds them and helped make them who they are today. I thought it was great that Don had Joe and Tim at his birthday concert and wish I could have gone.

Sorry to be so blunt but it seems to me without Glenn Frey the current lineup appears to be profiting from replacing him with two people cherry picked to best enable them to sell tickets.

Really, is that such a stretch? Vince Gill. Has a huge fan following of his own. And has a history of working with Don Henley. Deacon is family. And, of all the players involved in the reinventing/repackaging of the Eagles post Glenn Frey, he is the innocent one.

Second, I don't care how many times they tour under the auspices of keeping the songs alive. That sounds like a public relations mantra if I ever heard one. The songs didn't die. They will live forever- long after the New Eagles take their final stage bow.

I am listening to Glenn Frey sing New Kid in Town and it's pure perfection. Downright beautiful.

Don Henley once said: Accept No Substitutes.

Gladly, Don. Gladly.
    Last edited by Dawn; 09-15-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Dawn - Amen ! You said it better than I did. Thank You. Don put this tour together to tug at people's hearts and make money and he has succeeded.