Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lyrics You Might Have Missed

Banned

Default Re: Lyrics You Might Have Missed

There was another influence on how the band's attitude changed, one that I'm reluctant to mention, but one that had a serious effect.

During the time of Desperado, the drug of choice was pretty much pot and beer, with maybe some mushrooms or lsd or other psychedelics thrown in. But then, the cocaine started showing up - a LOT of cocaine on an everyday basis.

Which should come as no surprise to anyone who knows anything about the music business of the 1970s. I first saw coke in 1970, when I began doing local shows around L.A.; by maybe the middle of '72, you had to fight off people who wanted to stuff some up your nose. It was a Big Money, Big Fun drug. Weed was cheap (back then), and, other than making you relaxed and hungry, left no lasting damage.

But coke was different - way different. It changed people. You HAD to have it, and when you didn't, things could get ugly. As for me, I could take it or leave it (mostly took it), but I'm not a substance addict. Other people, though - people with massive pressure to be successful, like members of a major rock band - found that blow rounded off the corners, or so they thought.

Coke was a serious drug - serious money, serious personal changes. People got very serious about it, to the point of being so paranoid that they'd start carrying guns around and getting into physical fights. And these were musicians, who were supposed to be all about good vibes and peace and love, etc.

There was plenty of Bolivian Marching Powder around The Eagles, which I suspect will not be a surprise to most of the folks here. I admit that I was one of the parties who made sure the group never went without - all of us on the crew did. It was part of the job description.

And so I believe that the influence of cocaine had much to do with the changes I observed in this band (and with our society in general). The cost, in dollars, was astronomical; some groups had million-dollar budgets exclusively reserved for buying dope. Which just added to the pressure.

And so that's one of the reasons that, at a certain point in the '70s things got a lot more serious...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, I can see a line or two being changed for kicks, maybe, during rehearsals or sound check, but as concerned as they were with making their concerts sound like the records and getting everything perfect........probably not during a show.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Cool Re: Lyrics You Might Have Missed

Most folks know about this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

There is another verse to Tequila Sunrise, one that didn't make it on to Desperado:

Think I'm gonna go to Mexico
    Down to where the pace of life is slow
    No one there I know

I love that verse. It's on a couple of early 70s concert videos, and I believe an ABC show.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love that verse too. I wonder why they left it off after that?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

It was a great verse to add live; I don’t think it would have fit the song if it were included on the the album.

Brooke, didn’t Glenn get into some trouble while in Mexico once? Maybe that’s why it was left off later—too many bad memories.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Cool Re: Lyrics You Might Have Missed

Well, maybe they left it off the album because… because they ran out of space on the master?

Or maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Well, maybe they left it off the album because… because they ran out of space on the master?

Or maybe not...
    What I meant (and Brooke too I assume) was why it was left off later live performances. Glenn doesn’t sing the last verse after 1974 AFAIK.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...