Page 139 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    In another thread somebody said there's sarcasm involved when a person who doesn't support the current lineup is glad for a person who has been to their gig and enjoyed him/herself. As far as I'm concerned that's BS. I don't have to like the same thing to be happy for people for what they feel. Although I don't care for them now, I really am happy for you, YoungEaglesFan.
    Amen.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Amen. Just because I do not care for what has happened to the Eagles does not mean I can not be happy for someone who has fulfilled their dream and has seen or will see them at one of the festivals/concerts. As I have said before, if you have never seen them and have the chance - go. Don, Joe and Tim are 70 and almost 70. They may not be touring much longer.

another point i'd like to make is that the band was so popular and so revered because of their "song power." As Glenn said, they made the backstory to your life. The Eagles were never about being flashy or being more exciting on stage. It was about writing music that was deep and meant something to people. So yes it's sad Glenn is gone and the band is no longer the same but with joe Tim and Don you have enough of the band to keep playing the music where it still means something. It's a comparable situation to after they broke up the music still meant something despite the lack of touring. One could say the band was fundamentally different than it was when it started. That's something bernie and Randy would say. Don felder also said the sound became corporate. But that doesn't mean that seeing them live made it less real. They can replace Glenn. If any others were not able to go anymore than the band should not go on but it's a good way to let everyone have a final chance to see them and have closure with a band they love

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    another point i'd like to make is that the band was so popular and so revered because of their "song power." As Glenn said, they made the backstory to your life. The Eagles were never about being flashy or being more exciting on stage. It was about writing music that was deep and meant something to people. So yes it's sad Glenn is gone and the band is no longer the same but with joe Tim and Don you have enough of the band to keep playing the music where it still means something. It's a comparable situation to after they broke up the music still meant something despite the lack of touring. One could say the band was fundamentally different than it was when it started. That's something bernie and Randy would say. Don felder also said the sound became corporate. But that doesn't mean that seeing them live made it less real. They can replace Glenn. If any others were not able to go anymore than the band should not go on but it's a good way to let everyone have a final chance to see them and have closure with a band they love
    I'm sorry but this rationale just doesn't work for me. There are plenty of fans who don't need a final chance for closure and believe replacing Glenn Frey has not legitimized the current lineup nor dramatically impacted the band's song power. The songs live on regardless of how many times the band goes on tour with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey singing and playing to fill the void left by Glenn's death. Yes, the band has undergone changes since it first started but none so "fundamentally different" as the loss of the Eagles co-founder and leader, singer, songwriter and musician Glenn Frey. I repeat. None.
    Last edited by Dawn; 09-13-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Amen. Just because I do not care for what has happened to the Eagles does not mean I can not be happy for someone who has fulfilled their dream and has seen or will see them at one of the festivals/concerts. As I have said before, if you have never seen them and have the chance - go. Don, Joe and Tim are 70 and almost 70. They may not be touring much longer.
    Since summer 2017 they have booked a total of 8 concerts thru the fall. Not sure what to expect in 2018 but I would be very surprised if they didn't double that number either with the current lineup or replacements for the replacements.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    In another thread somebody said there's sarcasm involved when a person who doesn't support the current lineup is glad for a person who has been to their gig and enjoyed him/herself. As far as I'm concerned that's BS. I don't have to like the same thing to be happy for people for what they feel. Although I don't care for them now, I really am happy for you, YoungEaglesFan.
    Certainly not from me. Although I will never go and see the current Eagles lineup, I think it's great that others who may not have had the chance to see them when Glenn was alive can see them now. I will never ruin someone else's joy over something I may not agree with. I too am very happy for you, YoungEaglesFan. Your enthusiasm is wonderful, and I hope you continue to enjoy them.

Don Henley, TBS and JW each tour on their own as well as in concert with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey under the Eagles banner. While I personally have no interest or need to see the band of course others could/would feel differently and that's perfectly okay. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I'm sorry but this rationale just doesn't work for me. There are plenty of fans who don't need a final chance for closure and believe replacing Glenn Frey has not legitimized the current lineup nor dramatically impacted the band's song power. The songs live on regardless of how many times the band goes on tour with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey singing and playing to fill the void left by Glenn's death. Yes, the band has undergone changes since it first started but none so "fundamentally different" as the loss of the Eagles co-founder and leader, singer, songwriter and musician Glenn Frey. I repeat. None.
    I am by no means arguing that the current lineup makes the band better or adds anything. It is clearly not preferable to Glenn being in the band. I could argue that the loss of bernie, randy and don are equal to the loss of Glenn. With them being gone the original reasons for why the band was created, part of its meaning, part of what made them the Eagles was lost. Those guys made it big only with the Eagles. Also important, they lost those guys during a time when they were actually making new material. I Would take massive issue with the Eagles recording new material but they won't. Having some guys fill in for the last couple years of the Band's time frame is not that bad. When Glenn and Don were famous outside of the Eagles. And even if say 1 fan finds closure in seeing them preform that is enough. The vocals now are better than they've been since the hell freezes over era. Gill and Deacon don't sing better than Glenn but they make the harmonies much fuller. Joe was never an integral part of the harmonies. But by adding two guys you do get a harmony that is much more like the prime days than they had in the 2010-2016 time frame. I get the anger towards Gill but i don't get the rejection of Deacon. It is truly heart warming and i'm sure that Glenn would be happy with what Deacon is doing.

One thing i fear from this forum is that people are becoming hypocrites with the new Eagles lineup. People who claim the Eagles are being greedy with this tour, also need to realize that the Eagles are notorious for being a money grabbing machine. Though i do reject that to some degree, the Eagles were never the hippie band who rejected capitalism and chasing money. They weren't typically above that type of thing and Glenn for all his greatness was a large part of that. Another thing is everyone sides with Glenn and Don vs Felder, Bernie, and randy. Many of the people on here are frustrated with the Eagles moving on past them and replacing them. The Eagles from the first two albums were dramatically different than the band during the Long Run and HC era. Both in sound, lineup and many other facets. Their sound changed over time. I have no issue with replacing Glenn because this is happening during the final stretch of the band's history. No one will look back and call Gill and Deacon Eagles, just like no one will call Steuart Smith or joe vitale Eagles. They aren't changing the legacy of the Eagles. They are trying to continue it for as long as they can, and as long as they maintain the majority of the lineup as legitimate Eagles they should keep going.

Stuck on the Border

DAWN - Amen to that. No one can ever replace Glenn Frey. He is the founder, leader, co-lead singer/songwriter. As Don Henley said "The man with the plan". The changes they underwent in the 1970's are not the same as what has happened this year. I say no one can replace Glenn the same way I would say no one can replace Don Henley.
    YEF - That is your opinion that they sound better now. I do not think so and neither do a good many people on this board. However, you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. Don Felder is an amazing guitarist - one of the best in rock history. However, he was not hired for his voice. Joe has always sung more harmony parts than Don F. If you look at old YT videos, you will see Joe singing harmony while Don F. is not singing at all. Loosing Glenn is not the same thing as loosing Bernie, Randy and Don F. He was the co-lead singer. As much as I like Bernie, Randy and Don F. they never sang lead on almost one-half of all the songs in concert. NO ONE HERE HAS SAID ANYTHING AGAINST DEACON. EVERY POST HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT POSITIVE STATING WHAT A GREAT FUTURE HE HAS AND HOW TALENTED HE IS. WE ALL WISH NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR DEACON.

Dawn - I too expect them to add more dates in 2018.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-13-2017 at 11:07 PM.