Default Re: Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor Game

Space Age Whiz Kids
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well since Space Age Whiz Kids is going down without my vote, I'll go ahead and even the score. Not that is really matters at this point, but I'll go for the only video that hasn't received a vote so far in this game ...

I cast my vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re5ults of Round 4: Space Age Whiz Kids becomes obsolete

The next song to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is Space Age Whiz Kids. “Space Age Whiz Kids”, the tribe has spoken and pinball pool-sharks just can't compete. Please get on the bus and ride off the island immediately.

Votes
    Space Age Whiz Kids – 7
    Life of Illusion – 4
    I Can Play That Rock & Roll – 1

Vote Breakdown
    Space Age Whiz Kids – Freypower
    Space Age Whiz Kids – Midnight Visitor
    Space Age Whiz Kids – irga
    Space Age Whiz Kids – Brooke
    Space Age Whiz Kids – GlennLover
    Space Age Whiz Kids – shunlvswx
    Space Age Whiz Kids – Prettymaid
    Life of Illusion – sodascouts
    Life of Illusion – TimothyBFan
    Life of Illusion – MaryCalifornia
    Life of Illusion – UndertheWire
    I Can Play That Rock & Roll – Ive always been a dreamer

Video Eliminated:
    The Radio Song 8/01
    In My Car 8/03
    One Day at a Time 8/05
    Ordinary Average Guy 8/07
    Space Age Whiz Kids 8/09

Videos Remaining:
    Life of Illusion
    I Can Play That Rock & Roll
    The Confessor

Voting for Round Six begins now.

Stuck on the Border

A Life Of Illusion will probably go next but I agree with Dreamer's comments about it.

I don't mind I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll but it is one long stereotype of Joe's former life & it's time it went.

I'm so relieved SAWK is gone so that I can vote for something else for a change!
    And I agree with FP that although Life of Illusion seems to be what others want gone, I really dislike I Can Play That Rock & Roll much more. I always sort of cringe when Joe's hotel room destruction days are brought up with humor. I don't think it's funny at all.

I vote for I Can Play that Rock & Roll.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

So relieved that LOI is top 3. I would have cried like a baby. I love seeing Joe make that infamous cover! I have no idea which of the 3 are supposed to go now. I don't think I can pick a least favorite so I'm going to wait to vote to see what others do.

I love seeing Joe tear up a hotel room! Maybe it's not well known but Irving played a big part in Joe's hotel room destruction. He was encouraged to do so. If you have read Joe Vitale's book you'll know what I'm talking about. Remember Irving was Joe's manager before the Eagles. Joe doesn't seem like a sad character to me until the late 80's till he got sober. In the 70's, they were all doing what Joe was doing substance/alcohol wise.

It's gonna be impossible to pick a bad one of those 3 videos.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Well – I figured the game might come down to these three videos, but I wasn’t sure. I’ve already had my say about how I feel about A Life of Illusion and I’m hoping it will win. I’m definitely not counting it out since four votes are the most it’s received in any round. As for the other two videos, it’s kind of a toss up for me as to which I prefer. They are very different, that’s for sure.

The Confessor is an artistic video, but, TBH, the message is lost on me. I would love to hear if others here feel it’s over their heads as well or if someone has it all figured out. I’m thinking that anytime the audience has to work so hard to figure out the meaning of a music video, then the creator's probably missed the mark.

As far as the I Can Play That Rock & Roll video, I don’t condone the behavior, but I do consider that the 70’s had a very different social climate with extremely different attitudes. At the time this video was made, it was hilarious because it is a gross exaggeration even for back then. While I think that Joe's behavior is irresponsible and adolescent, I also see the outrageous humor that was intended in the video. So even though I don’t think it’s a masterpiece by any stretch, I do still find parts of it really funny. I especially like the scene when the hotel manager comes in, and Joe is trying to explain how it's all the fly's fault. However, if this were a modern day video, I would view it in an entirely different light.

Dreamer, I agree with you about ICPTRAR.

Hard to decide between the other two but I guess I like Life of Illusion a little better so I cast my vote for The Confessor.

I love the creative sophistication of "The Confessor" video. You might not necessarily figure out what everything means, but its ambiguity allows everyone to interpret it a bit differently. I think that's a good thing.

It fits the mood of the song perfectly and is much more thought-provoking than his other videos. I understand why some may be turned off by the more "trippy" elements, but just think of the amount of effort that went into the construction of this video versus the other two. This is the real deal. I can see how many would find "I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll" more entertaining because of the laughs, but "The Confessor" is art. It challenges you to think. Joe swinging around a chainsaw does not.

I also wanted to ask - is anyone else actually kind of saddened by the fact that Joe seems to be partially defined, even to this day, as the guy who destroyed hotel rooms with a chainsaw?

As for LOI - I've already made my feelings known about that one.

I cast my vote for Life of Illusion.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I love the creative sophistication of "The Confessor" video. You might not necessarily figure out what everything means, but its ambiguity allows everyone to interpret it a bit differently. I think that's a good thing.

It fits the mood of the song perfectly and is much more thought-provoking than his other videos. I understand why some may be turned off by the more "trippy" elements, but just think of the amount of effort that went into the construction of this video versus the other two. This is the real deal. I can see how many would find "I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll" more entertaining because of the laughs, but "The Confessor" is art. It challenges you to think. Joe swinging around a chainsaw does not.

I also wanted to ask - is anyone else actually kind of saddened by the fact that Joe seems to be partially defined, even to this day, as the guy who destroyed hotel rooms with a chainsaw?

As for LOI - I've already made my feelings known about that one.

I cast my vote for Life of Illusion.
    Yes. That is why, sometimes, I wish Life's Been Good would disappear.