Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor Game

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor Game

I got to thinking that for those that are interested in saving Life of Illusion this round, it won't work if the votes are split between I Can Play That Rock & Roll and The Confessor. I think we are going need to form an alliance. It's hard to know which of the songs to target since there hasn't been much discussion around them. However, from comments that have been made, I believe that the players will be more inclined to eliminate I Can Play That Rock & Roll. So please join me in a coalition ...

SAVE A LIFE OF ILLUSION!!!

VOTE FOR I CAN PLAY THAT ROCK & ROLL!!!

I cast my vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I also wanted to ask - is anyone else actually kind of saddened by the fact that Joe seems to be partially defined, even to this day, as the guy who destroyed hotel rooms with a chainsaw?
    Yes, sort of. That's why I said that I cringe whenever I see it being laughed about by one of the other band members in current interviews. Joe doesn't laugh, but he has one of the best poker faces I have ever seen, so you can't go by him. He keeps a straight face as he talks about it, and seems as if he's resigned to the fact that it will always be brought up. I guess, to be honest, they are handling the subject the best way they could possibly handle it nowadays. I guess I'm just the kind of person who would feel bad for the hotel. I don't like it when someone does something hurtful to someone or something else.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I also wanted to ask - is anyone else actually kind of saddened by the fact that Joe seems to be partially defined, even to this day, as the guy who destroyed hotel rooms with a chainsaw?

[/B]
    It's not great. I'd much rather he be known for his music. I agree w/Freypower, I sometimes wish Life's Been Good would disappear. What bothers me more, however, is there are many that still think he's a drunken clown. I don't really understand how anyone could watch the documentary and come away thinking that. He's far from it.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

While I don't think he should be defined by his hotel room destruction, it's certainly more lighthearted and more true to rock n' roll than someone who just went out and played music and as Don Henley would put it, loitered. I can't stand guys like Carlos Santana who just go out there and play music and approach it so clinically and seriously. To me a concert should be about having fun, and while I'm so glad Joe is sober - I think the whole 70s rock n' roll lifestyle is partly responsible for the great tunes of that era. I like fun, comical, yet SOBER Joe to serious Joe.

I prefer fun rockers to musicians that take it too seriously. It's about entertainment, you aren't saving the world.

I for one think Life's Been Good was the best thing Joe has ever done in his career outside of the Eagles musically. I love the song and the lyrics. Sure they are about excess, but I prefer fun lighthearted songs to serious songs that make you think to much and deeper meaning, hence why I like songs by Aerosmith, GnR, AC/DC and other uptempo fun rock tunes with lighthearted topics. In other words, I'll take Life In The Fast Lane over Desperado. That's the best way I can put it.

Again, don't take me wrong - Joe getting sober was the best thing that could have happened, I just get sick of those guys that go out there and act like it's all business and planned out. I want gimmicks, lights, even pyro. I want to be entertained at a show, not go watch somebody in a uniform play the most downright mind-numbingly serious tunes. IMO, there is such a thing as too professional.

That's why guys like Joe Walsh and Keith Richards are my two biggest heroes. Not that I'm going to follow in their footsteps. I admire them for getting sober but they to me were ultimate badasses in their heyday and fit the lifestyle and there's a part of my personality complex that finds that to be what rock n' roll is all about - fun. Not necessarily things like drug use and getting high, but being all about fun and not about being so orchestrated. And looking cool as much as sounding good. I can go to those kinds of concerts that are more formal and enjoy them, but I don't dig them as much as loud rock n' roll shows with visual entertainment.

I think the reason I'm partial to lighthearted fun rock songs is that serious songs depress me as much as bore me. I have enough melodrama in my life, I don't like to listen to quiet songs or real serious songs. I want something to pump my energy up and throw up my hands in the air and move, not be lulled to sleep by some story about how your dad was in prison in '54 and now he's a preacher and sits on the porch with his old dog Blue.

And it's not that I'm the partying carefree type. Anybody who knows me knows that's not me. I'm quite laid back and quiet. But I get to live it vicariously through those tunes and I like that. It's like I want to live it but it's not me, so I use the songs to put me in that frame of mind. Hence why I like Life's Been Good and not so much songs like The Confessor.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

WF, I love Keith, too!

I can't imagine the challenge of trying to raise children when you have a very public history of long-term debauchery and drunken shenanigans, when that is your public image - I'm talking all of the Eagles here, not just Joe. Well, mainly Henley and Joe. Anyway...Joe has two teenage sons - how do you tell them, "do as I say, not as I do"??!! I guess you just give them love and talk very openly with them, try to be a cautionary tale and say that it was different back then.

Here I go again - Life of Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    WF, I love Keith, too!

I can't imagine the challenge of trying to raise children when you have a very public history of long-term debauchery and drunken shenanigans, when that is your public image - I'm talking all of the Eagles here, not just Joe. Well, mainly Henley and Joe. Anyway...Joe has two teenage sons - how do you tell them, "do as I say, not as I do"??!! I guess you just give them love and talk very openly with them, try to be a cautionary tale and say that it was different back then.
    Keith is the reason I went out and got my left ear pierced years ago. I was listening to Stones records right after I started playing guitar and got into the Eagles and I watched a bunch of Stones videos and I thought he was about a perfect example of what a rockstar is in my mind. The ultimate pirate! The guys in makeup never did much for me as far as idolization or rockstar image I'm afraid although I love glam rock/80s hair metal. But when I think of rockstar guitarists I think of Walsh, Richards, Page, Perry, and Slash. Not so much Carlos Santana or Alex Lifeson.

As far as his kids - yes I agree that would be very tough. As you said - "Do as I say, not as I do". And it's not that I'm proud of his drug use or anything - I just miss the days of rock n' roll when it wasn't so choreographed and suit and tie and everything so planned out. Before the days of long riders and ridiculous things like grapes in the dressing room or having no brown M&Ms in the dish. It's gotten to be a caricature of itself, IMO. I miss the days of just unplanned improvised shows (short of a setlist, that is) and back when it was ok to make mistakes and fly by the seat of your pants onstage. IMO back in the 70s it was more about the music and good times than the money, and less "businessy". Now everyone is jaded and boring and think they have a story to tell. And I think that whole lifestyle was a big component of the music that came out, good or bad, right or wrong. Heck, there is a lot of people that say Aerosmith haven't made a good record since they were clean. And that's just one example. Now I'd much rather have them sober, but IMO the music a lot of us love was a byproduct of the guys who made it living that lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, I can like a smooth song ok and I was exaggerating some, it's just that I tend to get bored with those who stand in one place onstage and be philosophical all night or tell boring stories or things that suck the fun right out of the room. It's like the same with those who go onstage and give big political rants or life advice or tell your life story. It's like I paid you to shut your trap and sing and rock, not tell me who to vote for or what to support or what I should be doing. Kevin Cronin of REO has done that the 2 times I've seen them and while I love REO, it's grating on my nerves. And while there is a multitude of reasons why I don't go to Ted Nugent's concerts - that's one of them.

I like energy, fun, and a chance to get serious things off of my mind at concerts - not go and be reminded of how bad a shape the world is in or that their dad died in WWII. I'm sorry if that's harsh. It's the same reason I don't watch the news. I have enough sorrow to deal with myself and friends and family's problems - without taking on the world's problems.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I will stick with my vote of Life Of Illusion
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Life of Illusion, too.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Keith is the reason I went out and got my left ear pierced years ago. I was listening to Stones records right after I started playing guitar and got into the Eagles and I watched a bunch of Stones videos and I thought he was about a perfect example of what a rockstar is in my mind. The ultimate pirate! The guys in makeup never did much for me as far as idolization or rockstar image I'm afraid although I love glam rock/80s hair metal. But when I think of rockstar guitarists I think of Walsh, Richards, Page, Perry, and Slash. Not so much Carlos Santana or Alex Lifeson.

As far as his kids - yes I agree that would be very tough. As you said - "Do as I say, not as I do". And it's not that I'm proud of his drug use or anything - I just miss the days of rock n' roll when it wasn't so choreographed and suit and tie and everything so planned out. Before the days of long riders and ridiculous things like grapes in the dressing room or having no brown M&Ms in the dish. It's gotten to be a caricature of itself, IMO. I miss the days of just unplanned improvised shows (short of a setlist, that is) and back when it was ok to make mistakes and fly by the seat of your pants onstage. IMO back in the 70s it was more about the music and good times than the money, and less "businessy". Now everyone is jaded and boring and think they have a story to tell. And I think that whole lifestyle was a big component of the music that came out, good or bad, right or wrong. Heck, there is a lot of people that say Aerosmith haven't made a good record since they were clean. And that's just one example. Now I'd much rather have them sober, but IMO the music a lot of us love was a byproduct of the guys who made it living that lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, I can like a smooth song ok and I was exaggerating some, it's just that I tend to get bored with those who stand in one place onstage and be philosophical all night or tell boring stories or things that suck the fun right out of the room. It's like the same with those who go onstage and give big political rants or life advice or tell your life story. It's like I paid you to shut your trap and sing and rock, not tell me who to vote for or what to support or what I should be doing. Kevin Cronin of REO has done that the 2 times I've seen them and while I love REO, it's grating on my nerves. And while there is a multitude of reasons why I don't go to Ted Nugent's concerts - that's one of them.

I like energy, fun, and a chance to get serious things off of my mind at concerts - not go and be reminded of how bad a shape the world is in or that their dad died in WWII. I'm sorry if that's harsh. It's the same reason I don't watch the news. I have enough sorrow to deal with myself and friends and family's problems - without taking on the world's problems.
    Reading this it is hard to understand why you like the Eagles so much and Henley in particular, because if you take Joe out of the equation, Eagles concerts, especially when Henley is singing, seem to epitomise everything you seem to dislike, although perhaps there has been less preaching from them on this tour than previously.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.