Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Stuck on the Border

Default David Bowie

I decided I would start a Bowie thread after all because since the release of The Next Day I have been rediscovering his music big time,

This goes back to 1972-73 when I was in England listening to glam rock. Songs like Rebel Rebel & The Jean Genie were absolute classics of the genre. Then there was Space Oddity; along with Elton John's Rocket Man how could you not love it?

Bowie's career has taken very interesting twists & turns. He went all white soul on us with Young Americans & Fame. He went minimalist & Kraftwerk like during the Low period with songs like Sound & Vision. Then there was Heroes; what a song, what an anthem. He also did a lot of drugs.

I bought the Ziggy Stardust abum with the astonishing guitar work of the late Mick Ronson. Every song on that album is a classic.

He reinvented himself in the early 80s with the Let's Dance album. I saw that tour; wonderful songs like the title track & Modern Love. Then he went into a period of critical disfavour with the Tin Machine project & other not well received albums.

When he released The Next Day having basically retired, it brought it all back, how great a singer & songwriter he is.

My Top 10

1. Heroes
    2. Ziggy Stardust
    3. Rebel Rebel
    4. The Jean Genie
    5. Life On Mars?
    6. Space Oddity
    7. Ashes To Ashes
    8. Starman
    9. Young Americans
    10. Diamond Dogs

Although this is weighted towards the earlier material, I recommend songs like Absolute Beginners, Day In Day Out, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and from the new album The Stars Are Out Tonight & You Feel So Lonely You Could Die.

The other thing is David was born in Brixton & grew up in Beckenham, South London, which is where I was living when we there during that 'golden year'.

When I am feeling frustrated or whatever I always quote this line from Young Americans to myself:

Ain't there one damn song that can make me... break down & cry?!

Default Re: David Bowie

I love David's music and I really like the Ziggy era as my favorite.

My Top 10:

1. Rebel Rebel
    2. Ziggy Stardust
    3. Changes
    4. Young Americans
    5. Heroes
    6. Space Oddity
    7. Suffragette City
    8. China Girl
    9. Life On Mars
    10. Under Pressure (with Queen)
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Oh, Bowie is a giant. I love something from his every "era". Even Tin Machine II, which is bashed even more than the first one, contains a few fantastic songs.
    Like Bowie has observed himself, he sometimes had one song on an album that was "predicting" what was to come on the next album. Like 1984 on Diamond Dogs -> the Young Americans album.

Some favorites off the top of my head:

Heathen
    Always crashing in the same car
    Repetition
    She'll drive the big car (The story is a bit similar to that in Lyin' Eyes. But in SDTBG it's suggested in the end it seems that she eventually drives the car into Hudson river, killing herself and her family. Bowie left the ending open, but that's what he thinks will happen "after the song.")
    Sweet thing
    Zeroes (Yes, I'm not joking)
    Loving the alien
    Bewlay brothers
    Lady grinning soul
    Rock'n'roll suicide
    Blackout
    Space oddity
    Life on Mars
    Thursday's child (which already contains the "Where are we now" chorus melody)
    Scream like a baby

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I just watched a documentary about David Bowie called Five Years in the Making of an Icon. I believe it is pretty recent, it was on a movie channel. It was very good! I would definitely recommend it. I did not know of him until Let's Dance when I was 12 or 13, so I learned a lot about his earlier years and how he was perceived. It was interesting to see some of the same footage with Luther Vandross singing backup on Young Americans that we saw in 20 Feet From Stardom.

David Bowie is so handsome, so beautiful. And, he takes the "skinniest" title away from Mick Jagger and Ron Wood. As thin as Timothy is, he is not in the same league as Bowie in the '70s.

Definitely a new fan here!

Bowie is fantastic. Definitely a favorite. I play Rebel Rebel in my band and I'm playing it Saturday. Love that riff.

I saw that documentary. It was great. I was shocked to see Luther in there. I didn't know he had sung background for David before he made it big himself. I

t was on Showtime. I have to say. Showtime has been putting out a lot of good documentaries lately. I'm so glad I have that movie channel.

I was watching some of it one day before I left for choir rehearsal and my mother came in the living room and started watching it with me. I was telling her, mom did you know Luther sang background on one of his albums. I think she was surprise. She even knew who David Bowie was.

David never ages. I don't know if he had work done, but he still looks hot for a mid 60s guy.

Stuck on the Border

I'm resurrecting (wrong word...) this thread so I can post the setlist I saw in 1983:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-...-43d423b7.html

And here are some photos!

http://www.bowiedownunder.com/seriousmoonlight/6.html

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I just watched a documentary about David Bowie called Five Years in the Making of an Icon. I believe it is pretty recent, it was on a movie channel. It was very good! I would definitely recommend it.
    I'll check it out. I didn't realize until reading about it in an English newspaper a few days ago that David's father was in PR and was very involved in his son's early career: coaching him about his image and how he was perceived.

Freypower, you are lucky to have seen Bowie in concert. I had tickets for his show in Miami circa 2004. The Welsh band Stereophonics opened for him, and after their brief set we waited and waited. After a very long time, someone came out and announced that the show was cancelled. Very disappointing. Turns out there was an accident setting up the stage and a member of the crew died.

Bowie retired from performing some time after that, reportedly because of heart disease.

The documentary is coming on again Showtime this Friday. It did come on last Friday for David's birthday. I'm recording it and I'm going to try to save it.

The Man Who Fell to Earth came on last night and its coming on again Saturday. Then a movie about David doing his last concert as Ziggy Stardust on VH1 Classic.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Oh, Bowie is a giant. I love something from his every "era". Even Tin Machine II, which is bashed even more than the first one, contains a few fantastic songs.
    Like Bowie has observed himself, he sometimes had one song on an album that was "predicting" what was to come on the next album. Like 1984 on Diamond Dogs -> the Young Americans album.

Some favorites off the top of my head:

Heathen
    Always crashing in the same car
    Repetition
    She'll drive the big car (The story is a bit similar to that in Lyin' Eyes. But in SDTBG it's suggested in the end it seems that she eventually drives the car into Hudson river, killing herself and her family. Bowie left the ending open, but that's what he thinks will happen "after the song.")
    Sweet thing
    Zeroes (Yes, I'm not joking)
    Loving the alien
    Bewlay brothers
    Lady grinning soul
    Rock'n'roll suicide
    Blackout
    Space oddity
    Life on Mars
    Thursday's child (which already contains the "Where are we now" chorus melody)
    Scream like a baby
    Maybe it's unfair to leave out the 'on the next album' part here but it happened again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw