View Poll Results: What's your favorite music format?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

6 17.65%
  • 8-Track (no, really)

0 0%
  • Cassette Tape

1 2.94%
  • CD

20 58.82%
  • MP3 or digital format

7 20.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Music format?

Default Re: Favorite Music format?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I agree with Austin. You can always rip CDs to MP3s if you want. Also, Amazon has a new service where they will automatically give you an MP3 download free if you buy the CD.
    I just found that out awhile back....I went into their cloud drive thing and all of these CD's I've bought from them were all accessible on there. Pretty cool.

Now I do like Spotify though, but that's a different animal (streaming as opposed to owning), simply for convenience of listening to songs I don't have or on the go.

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

ETA: I think I'll go with CD, but still burn 'em all to MP3 for my iPod. lol
    Argh, I voted for MP3 for my iPod but realised that's what I do--burn my CDs to MP3 LOL.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok! Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with the cd for sure!

I kinda like to hold it in my hands too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I've always loved vinyl for the album covers but now that there are Cd's and Digital for sound quality, I prefer them. Still miss going and getting excited about buying an album though for all the pictures and background info on the band.

Cassette tapes.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thought I'd revive this topic because I've been thinking about this recently. I voted for CDs, as most of the music I buy is in this format, although in practice I mostly tend to listen to music in MP3 format on my computer or iPod. However, I prefer to upload the music I want from the CDs I buy rather than downloading.

I did not grow up with vinyl and therefore have no particular nostalgia for vinyl records, and in any case I feel buying a vinyl record would be pointless - I have no access to a turntable and would also be wasting money that could be spent on 2-3 CD albums that I can actually use without having to buy new hardware. I do remember cassette tapes, indeed I remember listening to The End of the Innocence in that format, but once cassette players were phased out the tapes my family had became obsolete.

I keep a database of all the albums in my collection and have a record of which albums I have on CD and which I only own on digital format. My collection currently consists of about 100 albums including live albums as well as studio records (this is why I only did a top 50 rather than top 100 in the favourite album chart thread). The split is surprisingly straightforward, with more or less exactly two-thirds of my albums being on CD with the remaining third in MP3 format. There was a major change in my attitude around the summer of 2014, prior to then I usually downloaded albums on iTunes but around that time I started to favour getting CDs and uploading from them. In fact, over the last 12 months I've only downloaded two albums - Coda by Led Zeppelin and Brothers & Sisters by The Allman Brothers, every single other album I've bought has been on CD and my only other downloads have been isolated individual tracks.

There have been six albums that I have initially downloaded and then replaced on CD. Four of these are actually Eagles albums - I first got Eagles, Desperado, On The Border and The Long Run in MP3 format before replacing them with the Studio Albums box set at Christmas 2014. The other two are Love Over Gold by Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac's self-titled/White Album.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

My favvie is always going to be the vinyls!! I actually like the scratchy sounds too! LOL!! But c.d.s come second best to me

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Definitely CD. I just rip them to iTunes for my iPhone. I prefer to have a hard copy just in case.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

Vinyl all the way. Something about vinyl sounds so cool.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border

I opted for mp3 because I'm hopelessly disorganised and my CDs are spreadh over the car, kitchen, bedroom and who knows where. I'm even being converted to the idea of storing music on a cloud so I can pick it up on whatever device is handy (so long as there's wifi). I know I could buy the CD and load up as mp3, but sometimes that means plugging in an external DVD drive etc and I rarely get around to it.

I inherited my parents' "music centre" - turntable, cassette deck and radio in one with separate speakers and I keep meaning to set that up and pull the vinyl and cassettes out of storage. The more complicated option is to set up my old hi-fi system which has separate turntable, amplifier, tuner, cassette deck (but unfortunately no speakers anymore). It all seems too much trouble and a waste of space.