Page 110 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1134

Thread: Concerts

Default Re: Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Austin, if you read this (and you really should see this guy) perhaps you can help me out. At one point he played a steel blue coloured Gibson shaped body with what looked like a Stratocaster head. I looked at a couple of images of him with his guitars & couldn't see anything like this. Would you have an idea what it may be?
    It's a Les Paul/Firebird hybrid named after Joe called the "Bonabyrd". Les Paul body and Firebird neck.

That pic is from his Twitter account.

Joe is indeed a great musician, hope to catch a concert someday. He certainly shares my love of old Gibson guitars.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for helping me with that. I should add that he didn't use the Felder signature twin neck although I have a DVD of him playing it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-14-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thanks for helping me with that. I should add that he didn't use the Felder signature twin neck although I have a DVD of him playing it.
    This isn't the thread for it but I'll just add that JB changes guitars (and amps) more than some change their underwear. It's the nature of the beast. You play 10 certain guitars for a tour/year and you're bound to be bored of them, so he changes his entire guitar locker every tour.

As a guitarist you like to be inspired by new gear (amps, pedals, even picks and strings!) and guitars and that's one of the reasons I have 30+ guitars. People ask "can you play them all at once?!", which the obvious answer is no as it is a loaded question but they all sound a little different, feel different, and bring something different to the table. Even two Sunburst Les Pauls won't sound exactly alike. I rotate which ones I play every day. We all have favorites but it's good to change it up now and again.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I agree Austin, while many people will have one particular guitar a particular guitar might just suit a certain song more or less than another one. Sure our guys change guitars almost every song, they wouldn't do it if is didn't make musical sense
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Went to see Eric Church and Dwight Yoakam last Friday...AWESOME concert!!!

Halestorm opened, not a big fan but I just don't like modern rock. Too scream-o for me.

Dwight Yoakam was next. Dwight, to me, is country with an edge. It has traditional country through it but it's delivered in such a way that doesn't make me yawn. Loud Telecasters and twang with attitude. I dig it. Sorry, but Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr, Buck Owens, and Merle Haggard make me yawn...just not enough "oomph" to it. Waylon Jennings is tolerable, as is Johnny Cash as they have more attitude and loudness and more of a raw sound. Dwight takes Bakersfield and injects some major attitude and snarl into it and it comes out traditional country with a modern punch - more palatable for me.

Eric Church came on and proceeded to deliver the country version of a KISS show. AWESOME freaking performance. A lot of today's country is repackaged 70s/80s rock and I love that. It was loud Marshalls and Gibson and PRS guitars. I dug the hell out of it. I'm a rocker through and through and I was head banging the whole time. I actually stood up during "Drink In My Hand" and proceeded to sing right along, and I haven't done that in a concert in years. And I'm not even a drinker!

As much as I have a love/hate with modern day Nashville being generic, times like this reminds me of why I like it. Great shows and tours and giving you an entertaining show both sonically and visually, ala KISS. While I don't like all the lyrics, it's good music and good party tunes. It's like KISS, they may not be very deep lyrics but I'm not a lyrics guy really, give me the music! I like simplistic rock party tunes. And I'm not a partier so I guess I live vicariously through those songs.

So the modern country haters/traditional country purists (I'm looking at you "Saving Country Music" blog!) can keep their stuff, I like the new stuff just fine. Should it be called country - who knows but I like most of it. Some lyrics aren't great but the music is pure rock n' roll.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkI_myXGkk[/ame]

I'm with you Austin - who cares what it's called as long as it's good?

I suppose we could do like Classic Rock, and call the old stuff Classic Country.

Glad you had a good time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Glad you enjoyed yourself Austin!

And even though I get tired of all the drinkin' songs, I really like Drink in My Hand by EC! It's a fun song!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra next week. Should be a pretty awesome show.

Stuck on the Border

Joe Bonamassa at the Opera House on September 30 was one for the purists.

1. Mountain Climbing
    2. Blues of Desperation
    3. No Good Place for the Lonely
    4. Drive
    5. Love Ain't a Love Song
    6. How Deep This River Runs
    7. Mainline Florida
      (Eric Clapton cover)
    8. Livin' Easy
    9. The Valley Runs Low
    10. Little Girl
      (John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers cover)
    11. Angel of Mercy
      (Albert King cover)
    12. If I'm in Luck I Might Get Picked Up
      (Betty Davis cover) (with Mahalia Barnes)
    13. Boogie Woogie Woman
      (B.B. King cover)
    14. How Many More Times
      (Led Zeppelin cover)
    15. Encore:
    16. Hummingbird
      (B.B. King cover)

NB The first song was This Train but I'm not going to recopy the set list.

While I do own some of these songs I'm not that familiar with some of them. My favourite was probably Drive. I was surprised he did Mainline Florida. He is an exceptional guitarist but I don't think it would have hurt him to have included a more familiar track like The Ballad Of John Henry. Sadly I was unimpressed by Mahalia Barnes, daughter of Jimmy, the singer from one of our greatest bands, Cold Chisel.

Dire Straits Experience at the State Theatre last night (October 5):

Telegraph Road
    1. Walk of Life
    2. Romeo and Juliet
    3. Tunnel of Love
    4. Your Latest Trick
    5. The Man's Too Strong
    6. Private Investigations
    7. Down to the Waterline
    8. Lady Writer
    9. Expresso Love
    10. Two Young Lovers
    11. On Every Street
    12. Brothers in Arms
    13. Sultans of Swing
    14. Encore:
    15. Money for Nothing
    16. Going Home: Theme from Local Hero

It was great to see Chris White (sax) & Chris Whtten (drums) after all these years & the singer-guitarist Terence Reis is almost a Knopfler clone. He did all the intonations & little idiosyncratic things you would expect, for example 'he got the action, yeah he got the motion' in Walk of Life. Tunnel Of Love was exceptional; I could not fault it, nor Expresso Love. If I could have changed anything I would have swapped Two Young Lovers for either Twisting By The Pool or a personal favourite of mine, Solid Rock. Down To The Waterline was another highlight - I don't think I ever saw DS do that themselves. The Man's Too Strong was probably the big surprise, but they didn't quite get that pounding guitar which comes after the title quite right. NB again The first song was Telegraph Road, which I predicted.

People here who know how much I love Mark Knopfler will sympathise with me that I still hope to see the man himself again some day.

Well, Mark Knopfler-- what's not to love?
    We love him, too.

I hope you'll get to see him, FP. I know it would be one of the highlights of your life!
    Last edited by LuvTim; 10-06-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Correcting egregious spelling violation! :-)

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you