Page 7 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

"Battle of Evermore"....genius. That mandolin takes that song and just sends it to the stars! It's one song they did that rivals "Stairway" in my opinion as their Masterpiece.

But just about everything on Zoso is over the top! A friend of mine literally blew out a pair of ARs on "Black Dog" right there at the beginning with that dri ving DRUM / Guitar riff! Cranked a 100w amp to the max. The speakers literally toasted! The padding around them gave way first apparently and then they tore. The woofers. The tweets were okay. Everyone in the Apartment Complex in Fayetteville, Arkansas was rocking to that one. Played it over and over...that one album ALL NIGHT LONG! No one complained <LOL> Not even the manager!

After the ARs blew out, I pulled my rig out onto the balcony of my apt and cranked it up through my Bose 501's. No one complained about not being able to hear it. My amp would cut-out if the speaker channel wasn't handling the load so there was no danger of blowing the speakers.

A couple of kegs of beer (and whatnot) in the courtyard area of the complex and probably a hundred college aged kids who lived there with invited guests....out partying all night long and going No Where....or if they did leave, they came back!

ZEP IV hadn't been out that long and a lot of people hadn't heard much of anything other than "Stairway" off of it. Besides the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Led Zep was the rage back then with the Razorback crowd.

MikeA

Just got my copy of Rolling Stone (June 11, 2009) and found this short blurb:

Led Zeppelin fans might need a new pair of undies after watching the amazing doc "It Might Get Loud". We got a sneak preview of the movie which documents a summit between Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White. In our favorite scene, Page plays "Whole Lotta Love" - while White and the Edge just stare, slack-jawed. "They look like 13-year-old boys watching a rock star," says director Davis Guggenheim. "They were like, "That's how he did it!" Guggenheim, who won an Oscar for An Inconvenient Truth, set out to capture something improvisational and organic. In Nashville, White takes some wood, string and a coke bottle, and makes a poor man's guitar in a few minutes. And the crew joins Page at the 18th -century manor where Zeppelin IV was recorded. "We learn how Page's entire life builds up to playing "Stairway to Heaven," says Guggenheim. "When you see it, you'll be like, "Holly F@&#!"

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Mike---SO COOL---Something to look forward to! And for the record---Jimmy Page has had that effect on me many a time!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Me too Willie. I listen to a LOT of music, but my repertoire is and always has been limited in artists. Led Zep, and particularly Page were always in my list.

Eric Clapton says that the noise Cream and Led Zeppelin made "was painful". Clapton is another of those on my list but in that statement, I have to disagree. Zep took the same Blues influences that Clapton loves, but gave it a very Heavy Rock twist where Clapton tried to keep it more "pure".

I myself, like Blues both ways....and just about any other way you can think of to present it!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Congratulations to Robert Plant, CBE!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-of-Wales.html

Thank you so much FP for that!!!!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this part...
    "Asked today if he would ever return to the stage with his old band-mates, he said: "Sometimes I go a bit deaf in either ear, especially when people are talking nonsense.""

As much as I would love to see it, it could never be the same no matter what, so I see his point. May he rock on many many more years anyways.

FP--can you help me out tho---what exactly is a CBE and it also says that Jimmy has a OBE? I know we've done this whole discussion (or similar one) before, but I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    FP--can you help me out tho---what exactly is a CBE and it also says that Jimmy has a OBE? I know we've done this whole discussion (or similar one) before, but I don't remember.

CRS

I have received that award myself multiple times...I think.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

CBE - Commander of the British Empire (one rank below knighthood)
    OBE - Order of the British Empire (below CBE). So Robert outranks James Patrick Page Esq!

Thanks FP! I wonder how they decide when giving entertainers these titles, who gets which one. I think Jimmy and Robert should be on the same level but that's just me!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

a friend of mine posted this on her Myspace and I thought of you Willie *G*