Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cat Stevens

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Cat Stevens

I did listen to it but I only played it once, in the car. I promise you that next week I will play it again properly.

The reason I play everything on shuffle on my iPod is to give all 7510 tracks an equal chance to be heard except for when I make playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I did listen to it but I only played it once, in the car. I promise you that next week I will play it again properly.

The reason I play everything on shuffle on my iPod is to give all 7510 tracks an equal chance to be heard except for when I make playlists.
    Oh, I understand why you use shuffle. I use it too most of the time. But when you have a new album...

FP, after you give it another listen, I'm wondering - most of the songs are very spiritual. I would imagine you wouldn't like them because of their message, but maybe not.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Now that is an interesting comment. A lot of my favourite songs have spiritual messages - including many of Yusuf's older songs. You don't have to 'believe' to be swept away by the message of My Sweet Lord, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Now that is an interesting comment. A lot of my favourite songs have spiritual messages - including many of Yusuf's older songs. You don't have to 'believe' to be swept away by the message of My Sweet Lord, for example.
    Good to know!
    ~ Cathy ~

FP, tonight's your Yusuf concert, right? I'd love to hear all about it.
    ~ Cathy ~

Stuck on the Border

Yes, it's tonight. Eagles tickets and Yusuf on the same day - wow!

Here is undercover.com.au's review of the Melbourne show but please note I have not looked at it. I don't want to know the setlist. I glanced at the photo.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story...._June_16,_2010

By the way I never did that review of Roadsinger that I promised. I will make a couple of comments.

The opener Welcome Home is slightlly reminiscent of Gerry Rafferty's The Ark. I feel that I'm walking into a warm, cosy pub in England when I hear it. The other tracks that I really like are Roadsinger itself and All Kinds Or Roses. He is really playing the part of the 'wandering minstrel' in this album, very much 'on the road to find out'. Thinkin' About You is a straightforward love song (or is it about more spiritual matters - fair enough if it is).

ETA: I revisited this thread & downloaded Boots & Sand. What a great track & video!
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-22-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Stuck on the Border

The Undercover review is very accurate and I don't have much to add. You will notice that the show featured many 'deep' album tracks (how I wish the Eagles would do this) and it was very challenging to hear a lot of songs I wasn't that familiar with.

As the review said Yusuf is very funny and entertaining - he does not come across as 'naive' as the Sydney Morning Herald saw fit to describe him and his songs. I wasn't entirely sure about the point ot the mini musical but at least it showed he was capable of pushing boundaries. He was in fine voice all night and it was great to see his long term partner Alun Davies. Yusuf himself had a stunning array of acoustic guitars.

The highlights for me were Morning Has Broken, Rubylove (I adore this because it shows his native Greek influences), Where Do The Children Play, Wild World and Miles From Nowhere. I was very pleased that All Kinds Of Roses was in the encore as it is a favourite. Of the songs I didn't know, I especially liked Midday (from An Other Cup) and Bad Brakes.

Great night and I was celebrating pretty hard after getting the Eagles tickets. I had a bit to drink!

First thing - love your new banner!

So glad to hear that you liked Boots And Sand. How did it play live? Since he played so many deep tracks, do you now wish you would have looked at the setlist beforehand so you could familiarize yourself with the ones you didn't know?

Everything sounds great except for the mini musical. I'm not sure I'd like that. Can you remember any of the things he said or the stories he told?

I would love to see him someday!
    ~ Cathy ~

Stuck on the Border

Boots & Sand was excellent and they played the video while he sang it. He did tell some stories but they were brief - Boots & Sand itself was about his 'identity problems' when trying to enter the US. Many of the stories were about how he used to struggle for a living in North London or 'on the road' and a couple about guitars. Mostlly he was trying to explain the plot of the musical such as the hero, Stormy, after leaving The Old School Yard, was working for Matthew & Son before he had to leave & return to his unsympathetic parents (Father & Son). I wish I could be more detailed.

I was glad I didn't look at the setlist because the songs worked so well that I didn't need to know what they were. I am now going to buy them from iTunes.

By the way if I had any regrets about what wasn't played - Can't Keep It In , Sad Lisa (Someone shouted out for this a few times), Oh Very Young.

I'm surprised he didn't do Oh Very Young, but I guess, just like the Eagles, he can't do everybody's favorites. I made a list from the set list of the songs I'm familiar with - just over half of them. Here it is...

The Wind
    Where Do The Children Play
    Medley - ( I know two of them)
    Boots And Sand
    Miles From Nowhere
    World O' Darkness
    Remember The Days Of The Old Schoolyard
    Tuesday's Dead
    Roadsinger
    Sitting
    Morning Has Broken
    Wild World
    Father & Son
    Moonshadow
    All Kinds Of Roses
    Peace Train

Of the old ones I would have to say my faves are Where Do The Children Play, Miles From Nowhere, Tuesday's Dead and one of my favorite songs ever, Peace Train.
    Of the new ones from this list I like Boots And Sand, Roadsinger and All Kinds of Roses. As I've stated here before, there's really not a track on Roadsinger I don't like.

BTW, as I was getting ready for work this morning I had the Ipod on shuffle and got All Kinds Of Roses.
    ~ Cathy ~