Page 6 of 148 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by janisjoplin
    I grew up listening to 60's and 70's music because I was there

I think there was something special about the music back then as the musicians were creating sounds we'd never heard before and listening to music was a big deal...........no MTV, VH1 etc etc
    This sounds like I wrote this, jj. I totally agree with you. I think the music that was created during this era is, overall, superior to what we have today. I'm not saying that there aren't talented artist out there now because there are, but I wonder how much staying power their songs have? I don't think much of the music of today will still be around 35 or 40 years from now, On the other hand, people will still be listening to The Beatles, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and some other bands from the 60's and 70's. I think part of the reason for this is because the lyrics and the music were the only means the artists back then had of conveying their message - no MTV, no videoes, no Internet. The result was often a more imaginative, creative piece of work. This is all of course, JMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oh I agree with you 100% Dreamer

When I have my shower I always put the radio on and the songs from the 60's and 70's (and even 50's LOL) sound so different to today's songs.

A lot of them seemed simpler and easy on the ears and great to boogy to in the shower not to mention screeching along *cackle*

I'm not dissing all of the current music scene - but some of it leaves a lot to be desired - gangsta rap, hip-hop and stuff like that doesn't really get me "there" IYKWIM :P
    I want total sensory deprivation and back-up drugs :O)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm not dissing all of the current music scene - but some of it leaves a lot to be desired - gangsta rap, hip-hop and stuff like that doesn't really get me "there" IYKWIM :P
    Doesn't "get me" here, there or anywhere either, JJ!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I love FM and Stevie, too, although I don't have much except old vinyls, which I can't play as I don't have a record player anymore. I think I'm gonna have to work on updating to some cds of theirs!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    I love FM and Stevie, too, although I don't have much except old vinyls, which I can't play as I don't have a record player anymore. I think I'm gonna have to work on updating to some cds of theirs!
    I've still got all my vinyl - we did have a turntable but sadly it got ill and died

I'm seriously contemplating putting my lp's on Ebay - my mum thinks I should let them go - and with not having any children to leave my worldly goods to I might just have a go.

First of all though, I'll have to get a digital camera and learn how to upload images - then there's the rigmarole of working out what price to start the bidding at and then work out postage and packing.

Gosh, I feel tired just thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by SweetHolly
    I'm really envious of you, Holly, discovering all these wonderful CDs etc. I remember the thrill I used to get when a new album by someone I liked came out - I'd spend hours pouring over the liner notes and lyric sheets and if one was lucky - a poster
    I love finding out about the bands that I like. I love reading the liner notes whenever I buy cds. I always do it as soon as I open the cd. Most of the music I like is from the 60s and 70s, stuff my parents grew up listening too.
    Wow, SH, you're a lot like me in that regard . I love reading about my favourite solo artists and bands as well as watching and listening to them. I also love reading the liner notes of CDs, not to mention looking at the pictures (if there are any, I must add). My favourite music encompasses the mid '50s, '60s and '70s. My collection of Elvis and Beatles literature is quite impressive, if I have to say so myself... So far, I've only got one Eagles book, but I'm working on correcting that . It's just so difficult sourcing anything in South Africa. You won't believe how I've battled to source Glenn Frey's solo albums, although Eagles music has become available of late.

I agree with you totally, Dreamer - today's music does not compare to the music of yesteryear. I've always preferred retro. Today's music doesn't "do it" for me either, JJ and Brooke! I got stick for it in school, being a '90s teenager, but I stuck to my guns. Elvis and the Beatles are cool again, now - well, I don't remember a time that they weren't cool... (cue the Eagles singing: they're cool... )

I also still have my vinyl, although my record player has also died . A lot of it is not available on CD, which is frustrating.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

I thought I'd share this with all of you Fleetwood Mac fans: here in Cape Town, a tribute to them has been running at a theatre called "The Theatre @ The Pavilion", at the V&A Waterfront. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it, but a review running in our local newspaper, The Cape Argus, was favourable. It's running until 7 July.

I don't know much about Fleetwood Mac, but a couple of songs I've heard of theirs sounds good to me. I used to perform "Don't Stop" in my previous band about three years ago. I also enjoy "Albatross", although I hardly ever hear it on the radio (or much else from the '50s, '60s and '70s, for that matter... ). It's a very beautiful instrumental, reminiscent of the Shadows.

JJ, you were saying that you enjoyed retro music because you were there, and that there wasn't VH1 and MTV at that time. Well, I must tell you, those of us South Africans who don't have what they call DSTV (Digital Satellite Television), and I'm one of them, STILL don't have VH1 and MTV! Mind you, after watching VH1 at a friend's house recently (and especially after thinking that VH1 was the "adult contemporary" station), I discovered that I'm not missing much!

I bought vinyls without even having a record player, just to collect the photos and inserts. Then I started to feel ridiculous collecting LPs without a record player, so I bought one on Ebay. Unfortunately, it broke when it got jiggled a bit too hard. No wonder more people don't have them!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetHolly
    I'm really envious of you, Holly, discovering all these wonderful CDs etc. I remember the thrill I used to get when a new album by someone I liked came out - I'd spend hours pouring over the liner notes and lyric sheets and if one was lucky - a poster
    I love finding out about the bands that I like. I love reading the liner notes whenever I buy cds. I always do it as soon as I open the cd. Most of the music I like is from the 60s and 70s, stuff my parents grew up listening too.
    Wow, SH, you're a lot like me in that regard . I love reading about my favourite solo artists and bands as well as watching and listening to them. I also love reading the liner notes of CDs, not to mention looking at the pictures (if there are any, I must add). My favourite music encompasses the mid '50s, '60s and '70s. My collection of Elvis and Beatles literature is quite impressive, if I have to say so myself... So far, I've only got one Eagles book, but I'm working on correcting that . It's just so difficult sourcing anything in South Africa. You won't believe how I've battled to source Glenn Frey's solo albums, although Eagles music has become available of late.

I agree with you totally, Dreamer - today's music does not compare to the music of yesteryear. I've always preferred retro. Today's music doesn't "do it" for me either, JJ and Brooke! I got stick for it in school, being a '90s teenager, but I stuck to my guns. Elvis and the Beatles are cool again, now - well, I don't remember a time that they weren't cool... (cue the Eagles singing: they're cool... )

I also still have my vinyl, although my record player has also died . A lot of it is not available on CD, which is frustrating.
    It was pretty hard for me to find all of Glenn's solo cds but I was so glad I did. I have quite a collection of Beatles cds and Elvis cds. I also have a few books about the Beatles.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey

JJ, you were saying that you enjoyed retro music because you were there, and that there wasn't VH1 and MTV at that time. Well, I must tell you, those of us South Africans who don't have what they call DSTV (Digital Satellite Television), and I'm one of them, STILL don't have VH1 and MTV! Mind you, after watching VH1 at a friend's house recently (and especially after thinking that VH1 was the "adult contemporary" station), I discovered that I'm not missing much!
    VH1 isn't what it used to be unfortunately - I don't watch it anymore. Ages ago when I used to get up at around 3 in the morning I used to put VH1 Classic on - they tended to play the songs I liked

Unfortunately these days a lot of the songs are all about the video - I'm fed up of seeing scantily clad girls doing all that gyrating. It's too false. I prefer to watch someone who is into the music and just goes with it rather than too much choreography

VH1 isn't what it used to be unfortunately - I don't watch it anymore. Ages ago when I used to get up at around 3 in the morning I used to put VH1 Classic on - they tended to play the songs I liked

Unfortunately these days a lot of the songs are all about the video - I'm fed up of seeing scantily clad girls doing all that gyrating. It's too false. I prefer to watch someone who is into the music and just goes with it rather than too much choreography
    I couldn't agree with you more, JJ. I have no interest in scantily clad, gyrating girls. Give me an intense Elvis or Glenn on stage, performing their hearts out, and connecting sincerely with their fans ANYDAY in preference...