Page 4 of 148 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Re: What do you guys think of Fleetwood Mac?

Here's the first one! One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star

Um... it's not exactly her best work, I must say.

~

Okay, I admit to not being a Fleetwood Mac fan (please don't throw things at me), so I have to ask the question:

If Don and Stevie were so hot and heavy for each other, what happened?

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
    Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
    I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
    In a world full of pushin' and shove.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm shocked that Don was the one to let that all out about the baby and the abortion! Wonder what got into him?

And you wouldn't think that "Stevie fans" would hate Don if Stevie has never badmouthed him.

~~~

The highway to freedom is when you start believin."

Stuck on the Border

The above is interesting, but I have no comment as I don't know enough about the situation. I was rather shocked by the way Don talked about it in that GQ article.

In Edge Of Seventeen, the lines 'words of a poet and the voice of a choir and a melody...nothing else matters' make me think of the Eagles every time.

As for the line 'undoing laces' in Sara, I had never been able to hear that.

Well, Stevie and Don's affair was passionate, but it was never really serious. It started in 1975 and lasted a couple years, off and on. They would have these rendevous where they would meet up, have sex, have fun and then each would go their separate ways. In the rare times when neither were touring, they would spend time together, but they never lived together or anything like that. Indeed Stevie had sex with Lindsey Buckingham in between her rendevous with Don. Songs like Sara and One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star imply that Stevie wanted more than that, but that Don wasn't on the same page. They remained friends and maybe hooked up a few more times, but that was it.

Their "fun" relationship did not seem to survive Stevie getting pregnant with Don's baby. She told him about it and it seems they mutually agreed she should abort, but Stevie has expressed regret about it since. Of course it's thanks to Don spilling the beans about it in the early 90s that we even know about the abortion at all! Stevie fans have always been angry about that, and about how he framed it: "I believe to the best of my knowledge [Stevie] became pregnant by me..." Um, she TOLD you it was yours Don! :: shakes head ::

Some Stevie fans believe that Don ended it BECAUSE Stevie got pregnant and left her to deal with it on her own, but she's never actually said that. Still, those who believe that hate Don, and point to his ambivalence about stating that the baby was his in the above interview as "evidence." They also use lyrics from Sara to back it up - she wanted Don to "finish his house" and "call her home" - a home for a baby - but he didn't want to "stay with her a while" so she wound up aborting the baby. (Stevie has said that Don often invited her to hook up in his house while it was still under construction and that's what inspired those lines - by the time he finished the house, it was over.) No proof of that abortion scenario, though.

Personally, I don't think Stevie wanted a baby at that point in her life regardless of whether or not Don "called her home." She was doing coke, flying around the world, partying constantly, and at the height of her success. She has even said that one of the considerations for her having the abortion was that having a baby would make it impossible for Fleetwood Mac to tour for Rumours. She has never blamed Don in any way or had anything but good things to say about him, to this day.

Don't you love the drama? I know Stevie fans love it. lol

~

I was rather shocked by the way Don talked about it in that GQ article.
    Well, even the words of the best of men aren't always well-thought out.

(BTW, if you're not aware of what we're referring to, L&M's site has the 1991 GQ article. The relevant part is this: Henley’s prodigious romantic escapades would include an affair with Stevie Nicks, who “I believe to the best of my knowledge became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion”-and then wrote the song of the same name “to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there’s a line in the song that says ‘And when you build your house, call me.’)

~

eaglesfans

I'm pretty sure Not Enough Love in the World is about Lois Chiles and/or Maren Jensen.

Heart of the Matter is about Maren Jensen

At the risk of sounding negative, I don't think any of Don's songs are explictly about Stevie, except possibly Life in the Fastlane.

</p>

And you wouldn't think that "Stevie fans" would hate Don if Stevie has never badmouthed him.
    To be frank, I think that the Stevie fans who believe that just don't want to accept the fact that Stevie made the decision to abort because she felt it was in her best interest. They'd rather blame Don and make him the bad guy and Stevie the victim who was forced to abort because he left her.

Edited to add: I also want to say that there are alternative demo versions of Sara which belie the "bad Don" theory because they have additional lyrics like "And he reached out gently." Hardly condemning words.

~

Yeah, I never thought HOTM was about Stevie. As for the rest - I guess we'll never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

~

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I came across a FM Rumours dvd the other day. Do you know if it's a good one Soda? I couldn't tell from the description if it was more a documentary or does it have some complete concert songs on it?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten