Page 10 of 148 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac touring!

LOL! I was just coming in here to quickly post about this, Willie ! I'm SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!! I had to text a fellow Eagles/Fleetwood Mac fan last night to share my joy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Oops--sorry I stepped on your toes! I am just excited for you and been thinking about it myself!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

How exciting for you Nancy! Hope you have a great time, and don't forget to tell us all about it

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That is great Nancy! I know you will have a great time. Can't wait to 'hear' all about it.

I'm hoping to go see them in May if luck holds out.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Soda, your excitement is palpable! Can't wait to hear all about it!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Soda, your excitement is palpable! Can't wait to hear all about it!
    Ok, I have to do this... I just did!! How exciting!! She's on her way home right now, we were talking while she was on the road (I know, she was watching the road!!) so it won't be long. Other than freezing her booty off, sounds like she had a fabulous time. Can't wait to see it here also tho!

This just came up on my google alerts. Be sure and check out the slideshow photos. Look at this dress Stevie came out in. Soda was telling me how awesome she looked in this red dress with the red boots! Stevie is such a beautiful amazing woman!!

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_614069.html

And here's another one. This one has the setlist --look at the LAST song!!! Wow!!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09061/952639-388.stm

MIKE-what kind of guitar is this one? It looks so small.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, those were both great reviews! And Stevie looks fantastic! Thanks TBF!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Wow, what a show!

It was opening night in Pittsburgh, and my two friends and I had scored first row tickets. We were hoping Fleetwood Mac would let the first couple of rows stand at the stage like they had at the past, and we weren't disappointed!!! I SO wish the Eagles would do this. All the people in the front who want to stand and dance can go to the stage where they're not bothering anyone and have a terrific time rocking out.

My friends and I were planted at Stevie's feet. The stage was high and we had to crane our necks a bit to look up at her, but it was a prime spot not only to see her but to see Lindsey - he was always looking that way.

Stevie doesn't really interact with the audience, but Lindsey's practice is to play with all the girls at the stage. He doesn't single out anyone or just pay attention to pretty girls so it's not weird or icky or anything, lol, it's just fun! Several times he looked over at me and my friends while Stevie was singing and mouthed the lyrics at us, or pointed at us during a line of a song (again, he was doing this to all of the girls at various times, it's not as if he thought we were hot stuff. But it's so cool!)

He also tried to catch Stevie's eye and play with her, but I think they must have had a fight or something before, because she refused to meet his eyes almost the entire night. Even their signature "Moments" during Landslide and Silver Springs were absent. Still, they did have some special "moments" which I'll go into below.

The Mac travels lighter than the Eagles. They had three backup singers, a "helper" drummer for Mick, a keyboardist to play Christine's parts, and a "helper" guitarist to play along with Lindsey whenever a song called for it.

The band came out around 8:20 and played for about two and a half hours with no intermission. Lindsey was wearing a bright red-orange shirt that showed some chest (love that), black jeans, and a black jacket. Stevie came out in a magnificent dark red dress with matching high-heeled suede knee-high boots. There are photos above - thanks Willie! - and here's another:

The frizzy-haired person at Stevie's boot under the tambourine ribbons is me!

Stevie changed a few times during the night and the rest of her outfits were black, but it's so rare for Stevie to wear color that we were all blown away!

And here's Lindsey:

And a photo of the band:

I had deliberately avoided setlist spoilers so that I could be surprised, and while there were some predictable songs, they definitely did surprise me with some choices!

The show opened with Monday Morning, which they haven't performed in a while and which sounded great. Then, they went into The Chain and pounded that out. I love that song!

Dreams is their biggest hit, and it was third in the set. Stevie did well with it, singing the higher notes instead of backing away from them - yay!

At this point in the show, Lindsey talked about how they love touring without an album to promote - how relaxing it is to just enjoy themselves without worrying about new songs - and it kind of surprised me. He had always been critical in the past of people going out and doing "nostalgia" tours.... oh well. I don't care, I just want to see them, but one would think Lindsey would be a bit more hesitant to so openly contradict himself! At any rate, at least he didn't talk about "organic cycles" as he has been wont to do. lol. He did most of the talking for the evening, but even that wasn't so much; they didn't have much in the way of speaking and intros to songs.

I Know I'm Not Wrong is a lesser known Tusk song, but a lot of fun live. The next song, however, really got me screaming - Gypsy! It's my favorite song not only of Fleetwood Mac's, but of ALL TIME! Stevie sings low harmony on the song's bridge now, but I don't care, I just want to hear this wonderful song. My friend Tiffany and I squealed so loudly with delight that Stevie actually looked down at us - unheard of! lol During this was one of the few moments that Stevie and Lindsey interacted - they sang "I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes" at each other.

Like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac had some screens where they flashed images. I couldn't really see them that well from my position, but I glanced up at one point and saw they were flashing the 1982 MTV video on them. That's one of the best videos ever made and I eagerly watched the segment were Lindsey kisses all over Stevie as they dance. Nice!

Stevie left the stage at this point, so I figured it was time for one of Lindsey's showpieces. He pulled out Go Insane, a solo song, but instead of doing it acoustically like he did for The Dance, he had a full band version closer to the album cut. It had special effects and everything (he loves those special effects lol). I prefer the acoustic version, but it was nice to see something different, so I was down with the full band version. At the end, Lindsey acted all weird, moving oddly in front of the drum kit and doing this hunched over pose. Guess he was trying to do an interpretive dance to demonstrate the theme of the song. One thing that surprised me - Lindsey used a guitar pick! His trademark is playing without one. Oh well, it was just for one song.

And Willie - Lindsey plays a custom-made Turner Model 1.

Stevie re-emerged for Rhiannon in black, with glorious flowing sleeves that gave her an ethereal appearance. I tried to find a photo of them from last night, but I couldn't, but she's wearing them in this promotional photo if you want to see what I mean. They'd been doing a slow intro for this song for the last couple of tours, but they skipped over that and went straight into the fast tempo. I liked that!

Second Hand News
    was next - lots of fun - and I noticed they had newspapers flipping across the screens. Not nearly as awesome as the ones for Dirty Laundry, and far less song-appropriate, but oh well! lol They did Tusk next, which used to come at the end of the set, so I got taken aback for a moment. It's not my favorite song, but the marching band cadence is fun to dance to.

Then I heard the beautiful opening notes to Sara and once again screamed in delight. Stevie sang it in a very somber, serious tone... and she added the additional lyrics... "Dreaming... and the wind became... crazy" towards the end. She and Lindsey sang "I think I had met my match" to each other, which was cool, even if she might have written that for Don. She also walked over to Lindsey mic to sing the last part, kind of like she does in the 1979 Sara video. At the end of her vocal, she walked off the stage while the music continued without her. It was really affecting.

Lindsey went into Big Love with Stevie still offstage, doing that elaborate acoustic version similar to the arrangement he did for The Dance and other tours. When I watch this man play guitar I am just amazed. He is so awesome.

Then, Stevie came back out for Landslide no longer wearing the sleeves, but still in black. When I saw them in Columbus in 2003, they kissed each other afterwards on the lips, but no such interactions tonight. Stevie dedicated the song to her father (he passed away in 2005). At the end of the song, there was a flub as Lindsey waited too long to start playing again after the "Maybe...." That was funny. Afterward, they did exchange a poignant look - perhaps because of this song's history - and Lindsey blew her a kiss. It was nice, if not quite the same as before.

The next song was a REAL treat and surprise - Storms from Tusk! They had never played this live before - EVER. Not even in the seventies. It would be like the Eagles playing On the Border. It was wild! Mick came out and played drums in the front as Stevie delivered a beautiful vocal. Wow! Again, she seemed very emotional and into the song. At the end, in the best Stevie/Lindsey moment, she turned to him and sang "And not all the prayers in the world could save us." He harmonized with her acapella on it, his hand over his heart. Aw!

Another surprise - Say You Love Me! Stevie and Lindsey traded off verses, then harmonized on the third verse. It sounded great - Christine would be proud!

When Stevie came out in her gold shawl, I knew what was coming - Gold Dust Woman! It rocked, and she let out the longest howl towards the end that I've ever heard her do in years of shows! Wow!

When Lindsey pulled out Oh Well - a song from the Peter Green days of Fleetwood Mac and one he hadn't performed with them since 1980 - I was once again happily surprised. He changed up the opening riff a bit, but not too much - it is practically an iconic riff, after all! The screens were great for this one, flashing lights at the parts with the drum solos. And Mick really worked it. He drums like a wild man!

I'm So Afraid
    - my favorite Lindsey song! I knew this would be included - it's a staple - but it gets me every time. When he does that guitar solo for this song, I just listen in awe. Joe Walsh rocks and Felder's good too but Lindsey - he's in his own league!

Then Stevie pulled out Stand Back and the place ROCKED OUT. That song is irresistible! I was dancing my heart out! She was wearing a bright red shawl and looking fierce. They did an awesome false ending, a full stop, and then started it back up to play for another minute. Took everyone by surprise and we loved it!

There was a brief break and then Stevie re-emerged with the cutest black velvet top hat on, just like the old days! Then the notes started for Go Your Own Way and I got a bit bummed - like the Eagles' Heartache Tonight, it signals the end is near. Lindsey came down to the audience and let the people standing at the stage reach up and strum his guitar during the end of the song. I love that!

After a brief absence, they came back out for the encore starting with World Turning. Stevie took on Christine's vocal and Mick did an extended drum solo, but it was good and not self-indulgent like on the Say You Will tour where Mick would do his solo for twenty minutes (no exaggeration) and use a ridiculous sound effect vest. Oh man, that was bad. I was so happy to hear Mick doing NORMAL but awesome drumming instead! His "ARE YA WITH ME???" as he drummed reminded me of Life in the Fast Lane, though. lol But I was not to be entirely pleased, as Lindsey decided to incorporate electronic vocal manipulations into the drum solo. I know to blame Lindsey for this because he did it during his solo shows. Yuck! Give me the music and not the gimmicks, please! It was the only thing I didn't like about the show.

After a rollicking version of Don't Stop, I knew the concert was pretty much over, but that they'd probably play one more song - a slow one - to close. I thought it would probably be Goodbye Baby, especially since they hadn't played any songs from Say You Will yet. I thought, "Man, it's ending, and no Silver Springs!" and once again got a bit bummed.

Silver Springs is special to me. I remember when they dropped it in 2004 - I was at its last performance in Atlanta, and I couldn't believe they'd drop a song that meant so much to so many people. In my case and in the case of many others, it got us into Fleetwood Mac. Then, suddenly, I heard those opening notes and along with thousands of other people, I screamed with delighted recognition. They'd brought it back! They were closing with Silver Springs! However, instead of railing on Lindsey at the end like she's always done before, Stevie just stared straight out at the audience. I thought that was odd, but who cares? I got to hear the song!

At the end, they all stood together arm in arm and bowed. Lindsey kissed the side of Stevie's head through her hair, and she squeezed his hand that was resting on her shoulder. It was the most she gave him all night, lol.

The concert was wonderful, but the night ended on a bit of a sour note as my friends insisted on waiting out by the venue exit to wave to the band as they got into their cars. Normally, I would be fine with this, but it was FREEZING COLD!!! The kind of cold where it hurts to stand out in it. I said, "Look, it's too cold, they're going to run to their cars and not even look up." "We don't care!" They cried. "We just want to holler thank you!" I could tell they secretly believed Stevie and Lindsey would wave to them, though. I resigned myself to the wait. But when it was 30 minutes and still no Stevie and Lindsey, I once again had to say something - and was one again shot down. As the hour mark approached, I was considering just going to the car (parked on the other side of the venue) and waiting for my friends in there when Lindsey came out. He ran to his car and didn't look up. I bit my tongue from saying "I told you so" and we all went back to the car to attempt to regain feeling in our extremities.

Whew! Well, that's it folks! What a great time, despite the end bit. I recommend that anyone who enjoys Fleetwood Mac go!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Glad to hear you had a good time Nancy