Page 1 of 148 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Fleetwood Mac

There is some animosity in the Fleetwood Mac fandom towards the Eagles and especially Henley. Some Stevie fans absolutely loathe him. I was wondering if the reverse were also true?

~

Default Re: What do you guys think of Fleetwood Mac?

Well, I first heard the 'Rumours' album at a party in 1980 ( or posibly 81) and it hit home immediately. I hadn't caught up with any other stuff until I bought a compilation album this year, since when they have become a second favourite. I am saving them for more exploration in the future. My current faves are 'Little Lies', 'Landslide', 'Gypsy', the unusual 'Tusk', and the haunting 'Sara'.

Current top five:

The Eagles

Steely Dan

Fleetwood Mac

Joni Mitchell

Bruce Springsteen

If you had asked me this ten years ago I'd have added these as favourites

Jethro Tull

Genesis

Pink Floyd

Queen

Elton John

~~~

This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

I love the Rumours album, but it took me a long time to buy it because I resented that it got all the critical attention which IMO should have been given to Hotel California. I still resent that it shows up in critics' 'best' lists when HC doesn't. When I bought it I also bought the self-titled album. I bought Bella Donna because of Leather And Lace. We also have her other albums except for the last one she released.

I mainly like Lindsey Buckingham's songs and some of Stevie's. I don't know why but I find Christine McVie's songs rather boring except for You Make Loving Fun. If I had to choose a top 10 of Mac songs it would be:

Go Your Own Way (by a very long distance. This is one of my favourite songs of all time. It rocks).

Rhiannon

Landslide (this is one of my 'Glenn' songs)

Never Going Back Again

Gold Dust Woman

The Chain

Second Hand News

Crystal

Dreams

Tusk

BTW - a bit of trivia pointed out by one of my fellow Fleetwood Mac fans: Thirty years ago today - July 4, 1976 - the American bicentennial - Fleetwood Mac played Tampa Stadium with the Eagles.

~

Stuck on the Border

Nancy, we're waiting for you to tell us your Top 10 Fleetwood Mac songs!

Border Desperado

I don't think I need to respond here... LOL!

Oh gosh...I will give my own top 10 Mac songs some thought and try it out, but...seeing as they are my favorite band by far and away...the Eagles are second but nobody's gonna change my Mac love, haha...it could be really hard, considering I can't even pick a top 10 Eagles. I'm also a Lindsey First kinda girl, although I adore Stevie as well. I agree about Christine's songs, they're the ones that I most often skip, to be honest...I love them all, but if I'm in a mood, I need Lindsey's anger and Stevie's mysticalness, and Christine tends to be too upbeat!

Even before I became an Eagles fan, though...I became a Mac fan first... I didn't hold any animosity towards the Eagles or Henley or anyone. I figure, as I've said to Nancy before, if Stevie can remain such good friends after all this time with Don, why worry about it? And as for any competition goign on between FM and the Eagles back then, well, that was a long time ago. In fact, Don was my favorite Eagle for awhile and is still a very close second to Glenn. So clearly, no animosity here.

-----

~*She'll always be...the girl from yesterday...*~

My friend and I: "Nice coat Glenn!"

Joe Walsh, at next pause between songs: "Hey, nice coat, Glenn."

Glenn: "Thanks, thanks...yah, I picked this up at the..Liberace garage sale, glad you like it..."

Yeah, Bree, I knew your answer to the above question a while ago!

My all time favorites are Gypsy and I'm So Afraid (Live, not studio). After that, in no particular order: Why, The Chain, Landslide, Never Going Back Again, Second Hand News, Sara, Angel, Fireflies, Silver Springs, Don't Stop, Songbird, Hold Me, and Little Lies.

Oops - how about top 15? lol

P.S. Crystal would have made it, but the Fleetwood Mac version loses out to the Buckingham Nicks version (Stevie and Lindsey's equivalent to Longbranch Pennywhistle, only MUCH MUCH better).

~

Nancy, have you ever seen Lindsay Buckingham solo? I am on the email list for concerts in Atlanta (since so many of the bands and solo artists I love seem to perform there lately, instead of coming here to Birmingham) and I just found out Lindsay is playing there in October. I missed seeing Fleetwood Mac live--and at this point, I don't know what my chances are of ever seeing them together--so I was just wondering what their individual shows are like. (Obviously I know about Stevie--I saw her last summer with Don and she was wonderful.)

I have only seen a full Lindsey Buckingham show once - his Chicago soundstage in 2003 which was filmed for PBS. It was wonderful. He did it unplugged and it was a special experience I'll never forget.

Like Glenn, his last solo album was in 1992. However, next month, he is releasing a new one. He hasn't toured since 1992, and doesn't do private shows, so this tour beginning in October is a landmark for Buckingham fans. I have been a hard core Buckingham fan for years, so I'll be giving him the same attention as I gave Glenn, following him around the midwest to Ohio, Michigan, Chicago, and perhaps Milwaukee if my friends and I can get good seats.

When I saw him in Chicago, I was astounded and dismayed that he didn't play one song off of his 1992 masterpiece Out of the Cradle at the concert, and played a grand total of three solo songs off of previous solo albums. The rest of the time he did Mac tunes.... but he also did two unreleased songs, which thrilled us all to no end. One was a Rolling Stone cover "I Am Waiting" which appears on his new album. However, now that he has a new album, I imagine that will change and he will do more solo songs. (It's an interesting parallel to Glenn, who also played nothing off of his 1992 masterpiece Strange Weather at his latest solo shows, and did an unreleased cover which may appear on the Eagles' new album).

He's a virtuoso guitar player and I recommend seeing him!

~

I wish you were somewhere near me, because I would love to go see him with you. I had a feeling it would be a good show and I don't know if I can find anyone to go with me, as my sister in Atlanta is not much of a music fan.