Page 72 of 148 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

I forgot to mention that one of my highlights of Chicago's concert was Second Hand News. I'm addicted to that song now. It's so uplifting and upbeat - you can't help but to move!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I forgot to mention that one of my highlights of Chicago's concert was Second Hand News. I'm addicted to that song now. It's so uplifting and upbeat - you can't help but to move!
    Second Hand News is a great song and a great opener for Rumours. I always wondered about the lyrics, though. If they're breaking up, why does he want to " lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff"? Or maybe I don't want to know...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Second Hand News is a great song and a great opener for Rumours. I always wondered about the lyrics, though. If they're breaking up, why does he want to " lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff"? Or maybe I don't want to know...
    Same here! I wondered what it meant since it's a breakup song. According to some people, it's a reference for doing drugs, but I think my mind went to the same place yours did.

To me, it suggests Lindsey attempting to solve their problems with sex. He has said that their sexual chemistry was "excellent" in his words lol. Maybe he feels, if she would just let him "do his stuff", she'd change her mind and he'd no longer be "second hand news." Apparently he is confident in that way at least, he is the man who will satisfy her when she "can't get enough" with this new guy.

The song, which combines defiance with desperation, is very human. Lindsey has said that he didn't want to let go and that her "specter" crippled his ability to love someone else for years. Stevie certainly emphasizes that she was the one who left often enough. Still, no one wants to look weak, so declaring he won't miss her even in the midst of attempting to get her to connect with him again shows that inner conflict. I think that Lindsey felt most in control when they were having sex because she kept coming back for that even when they weren't a couple. This song centers around that sense of power over her that he wants to feel again since right now, he's being "tossed around" emotionally by her.

At the very least, even if they don't have a strong relationship where she can't get "peace of mind" and he supposedly "ain't gonna miss" her when she leaves (note that she hadn't left him for the other guy yet), they could have sex anyway. As I alluded to before it's common knowledge that they still hooked up after the initial breakup even though they were in relationships with other people. Of course, there really isn't such a thing as "meaningless sex" between exes, and it's a large part of the continuing conflict between them. Stevie has said that it was like they never truly broke up completely until he left the band in 1988 and broke off all contact with her. This came after he basically had a complete meltdown and the fight to end all fights with her, yelling that he had to "get [her] out of my life!"

I've actually never heard the drug interpretation before, but I don't think it works as well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That's probably right Soda.

I think I read about the drug reference on a song interpretation website before (might have been Songfacts or something).

But yeah, I think that's probably more the case.

Stuck on the Border

Wow, Soda, I would like to hear your analysis of more FM songs. Second Hand News is one of my favourites. They played it when I saw them. I see I Don't Want To Know along the same lines.

..Will be in Boston for their concert on the 25th...my first...

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ..Will be in Boston for their concert on the 25th...my first...
    Enjoy!
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Saw Fleetwood Mac for the first time last night in Columbus. It was a great show and Lindsay was just on fire! We could not afford the best seats, as we saw Jackson Browne this weekend, also, but I really loved the big screens in the second half, particularly Stevie doing Landslide. They sounded great--my only complaint was that the people around me would not stand up! (well, they stood up to go to the bathroom--lol) As has been pointed out here, they can really still rock!

Absolutely! Glad you had a good time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten