The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > Eagles

Eagles Hang out on The Border with the Eagles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 180
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
If you don’t mind my asking, about how many pro shot concerts from the 70s are there and how do you know the Eagles have them?



The “Spread Eagle” videos are home movies taken by the band members (or possibly road crew members) of the various 3rd Encore parties.



I have seen cds from last year’s Grand Ole Opry Concert for sale. It’s a really nice recording. However it’s not an official release—who knows in the future it could be.



I believe one reason the Live album included “Take It to the Limit” was b/c it was such a show-stopper and highlight of the concerts at the time. It would have been a grave omission to not have that critical part of the live experience on the album, even though it was obviously not performed during The Long Run tour. Also, AFAIK, the band did not tour with a string section for The Long Run album (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Therefore, the band used “Desperado” from the HC tour b/c you could hear the strings.

As far as using NKIT from the HC tour, I don’t really know why other than what you say, maybe it was just better than the Long Beach version.
DM'd the list.

Interesting about the home videos. I would personally NOT like to see that at all.

I was talking about the 2001 tour, the first one without Felder. But either way, nothing officially released from LROOE till today. And they won't release it, I'm sure.

I understand TITL. But Desperado, Wasted Time and New Kid in Town were all done in 1979-80. Desperado was common, Wasted Time less. Apparently for example it was done in 1980 Houston. And for New Kid, very rare but done. An example is 1980 New Mexico. But they did not do it in Long Beach. The only HC songs done there were Pretty Maids, HC and Life in the Fast Lane. And those statements about those kinda solidify my point. That these were better off in the HC times than TLR times. That they were inferior to the HC ones. Interesting.
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #32
My My
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 307
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
Delilah, I thought the infamous home movies were filmed by Don H. That’s why they called him Nikon Don. Among other things.
Don may have been the photographer, but I have a feeling anyone who was available could have taken pictures. I came across this blurb from a UPI reporter, named Bruce Meyer.

"Glenn Frey of the Eagles is putting together a film from footage taken while touring. He describes it as the first X-rated rock movie, to be titled 'Spread Eagle."

I think we've all seen one of the stars of that movie on the HOTE!

This was in several papers in July of 1974. Most papers at the time carried syndicated music and entertainment news columns.
My My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #33
My My
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 307
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Delilah, you're so right about TITTL being a highlight of Eagles concerts at the time. From the Indianapolis News concert review from the concert I attended on November 22, 1976-

"The man who stole the show, perhaps, was bass player Randy Meisner, who sang lead only once. The number was last winter's giant hit, "Take It To The Limit." Meisner had 'em cheering long before the finish of the song. His clean, crisp high vocals earned him the only standing ovation for an individual performance."


It's interesting that this concert period is referred to as the Hotel California tour now. That night, before the album was released, "Hotel California" was just a new song from their upcoming album that was played. It was described as being "well received." I'm sure I probably enjoyed it, but nothing like the way I enjoyed it in 1978 and 1980!
My My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #34
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 180
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by My My View Post
Delilah, you're so right about TITTL being a highlight of Eagles concerts at the time. From the Indianapolis News concert review from the concert I attended on November 22, 1976-

"The man who stole the show, perhaps, was bass player Randy Meisner, who sang lead only once. The number was last winter's giant hit, "Take It To The Limit." Meisner had 'em cheering long before the finish of the song. His clean, crisp high vocals earned him the only standing ovation for an individual performance."


It's interesting that this concert period is referred to as the Hotel California tour now. That night, before the album was released, "Hotel California" was just a new song from their upcoming album that was played. It was described as being "well received." I'm sure I probably enjoyed it, but nothing like the way I enjoyed it in 1978 and 1980!
WOW!!! Randy Meisner!!

But there is a massive error here. At this point, Randy always got 2 leads: TITTL and Midnight Flyer. Try And Love Again debuted in this month. The newspaper (and maybe you too) forgot Midnight Flyer was done. So Randy has 2 leads. And how was Wasted Time (Reprise)? It was apparently done at the arena. So an orchestra was there? Maybe Desperado also had Doolin Dalton Reprise II? Such a good concert it must've been.

So it was like the One of These Nights tour going on then? Same as Seattle 76, Budokan 76, but just with extra HC songs not released at the time?

I also am actually confused: when DID the HC tour start? eaglesonlinecentral's tour page claims it was in Osaka 1976, but no HC songs were played at all. Interesting.

Also you make me REALLY JEALOUS!!!! I wish I could've seen them during 1976 till 80 and you saw some of my most favorite years! The 70's were the best and you got to see them in a span of 3-4 years! You have no idea, just how many people would be jealous! I want to see Don Felder so badly with them and now it will never happen!
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #35
New Kid In Town
Border Troubadour
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

[quote=cosec3791;378770] I also am actually confused: when DID the HC tour start? eaglesonlinecentral's tour page claims it was in Osaka 1976, but no HC songs were played at all. Interesting.

The Eagles did some songs from the HC album in Oct. and Nov.1976 concerts. Hence the LA Form live on the re-issue of HC. The official HC tour started in January 1977 and lasted until September 1977.

I thought Don H.(Nikon Don) was the one who filmed all those 3E parties. However, if he was "busy" he obviously had others to do the filming. I have also read about the road crew doing some filming.
New Kid In Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #36
My My
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 307
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

cosec, I'm sure the paper could have made a mistake about Randy having only one lead. They constantly got the names of the Eagles mixed up in concert reviews. I really don't remember if they played Midnight Flyer that night, it's been over 40 years ago! I do remember how wild everyone got for TITTL though. Certain songs, like TITTL and TIE always got the crowd going. After HC album, HC was always the song that opened the show and had the same effect.

From two different Indianapolis newspaper reviews the day after the show these are the songs that were mentioned; TIE, Outlaw Man, Doolin-Dalton, Tequila Sunrise, OOTN, BOML, HC, Lyin' Eyes, TITTL, Witchy Woman, Already Gone, Wasted Time, Desperado, Rocky Mountain Way, Funk 49.
Not a complete list by any means, but a pretty good list of songs. The paper also stated that they played for almost 2 1/2 hours. No mention of the orchestra.
I think I've heard Midnight Flyer in concert but I also saw them for the first time in August of 1975 where it was probably played.

As far as the concert being part of the HC tour, I think it's just a common term used for that time period. I saw them about a month after the '76 Forum shows, so they were playing a few "new" songs from the album that was due to be released.


Sorry I can't give you lots of information, about that night. I was just a teenager going to see my favorite band. I didn't think that over 40 years later I would even be thinking about such things. It was just a very in the moment thing. My memories of those times are more about the excitement of being there, hearing the songs that I constantly played on my GE Wildcat record player.

Don't be too jealous though, corsec. Yes, I saw some wonderful concerts in the 70's, but that means that means I'm old now, 59! Enjoy your youth and make some great memories of your own!
My My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #37
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 180
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

[quote=New Kid In Town;378771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
I also am actually confused: when DID the HC tour start? eaglesonlinecentral's tour page claims it was in Osaka 1976, but no HC songs were played at all. Interesting.

The Eagles did some songs from the HC album in Oct. and Nov.1976 concerts. Hence the LA Form live on the re-issue of HC. The official HC tour started in January 1977 and lasted until September 1977.
Confusing, ain't it? I feel the HC tour informally, but properly started in October the 15th, 1976, in the Arizona State University. Apparently small concert, but one world shaking thing: the world debut of Hotel California. Only song from that album.

It went full swing with The Forum, wherein New Kid in Town (your name ) and Wasted Time debuted. Pretty Maids All in a Row, Try And Love Again, Victim of Love and Life in the Fast Lane all debuted in Michigan, November 12th (at the same time). I should find out about the debut of The Last Resort. And yeah, the HC tour officially began in 1977. Capital Center was the first spontaneously changed concert in terms of setlist. Here they completely deviated from the usual order and kept on changing things as dates progressed. Alpine Valley 1977 (last concert) was bittersweet. Randy left, but the setlist was so DAMN BRILLIANT! They even did Saturday Night and ATTIG which is just dreamy!

1977 was the period of more seriousness, image upkeep, etc. I really think if we check out the extra backstage stuff, pre 77 would've been crazier and funnier. It only became worse after 1978, where they "...grew apart as collaborators and friends."
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #38
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,891
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Back then, the setlists were not as set in stone as they are now. It's possible there were some shows where songs were not played for whatever reason, or legs where they didn't have the same setup (such as overseas).

That said, newspapers do make mistakes.

My My, I love reading these old excerpts. Thank you.

TITTL brought the house down every night - I think Glenn said it made crows "go wild"? Was that his quote? He said something like that, about how everybody just went crazy when Randy did it. In fact, I remember reading that when Glenn was trying to encourage Randy to sing it when Randy got nervous, he would tell Randy that everyone wanted to hear him sing it... but I think it was that same audience expectation that was stressing Randy out - the (unwarranted) fear of letting them down. I think that's also why in some video footage, you see Glenn congratulating Randy after he knocks it out of the park. It's like "See, you did it again." lol
__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #39
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 180
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by My My View Post
cosec, I'm sure the paper could have made a mistake about Randy having only one lead. They constantly got the names of the Eagles mixed up in concert reviews. I really don't remember if they played Midnight Flyer that night, it's been over 40 years ago! I do remember how wild everyone got for TITTL though. Certain songs, like TITTL and TIE always got the crowd going. After HC album, HC was always the song that opened the show and had the same effect.

From two different Indianapolis newspaper reviews the day after the show these are the songs that were mentioned; TIE, Outlaw Man, Doolin-Dalton, Tequila Sunrise, OOTN, BOML, HC, Lyin' Eyes, TITTL, Witchy Woman, Already Gone, Wasted Time, Desperado, Rocky Mountain Way, Funk 49.
Not a complete list by any means, but a pretty good list of songs. The paper also stated that they played for almost 2 1/2 hours. No mention of the orchestra.
I think I've heard Midnight Flyer in concert but I also saw them for the first time in August of 1975 where it was probably played.

As far as the concert being part of the HC tour, I think it's just a common term used for that time period. I saw them about a month after the '76 Forum shows, so they were playing a few "new" songs from the album that was due to be released.


Sorry I can't give you lots of information, about that night. I was just a teenager going to see my favorite band. I didn't think that over 40 years later I would even be thinking about such things. It was just a very in the moment thing. My memories of those times are more about the excitement of being there, hearing the songs that I constantly played on my GE Wildcat record player.

Don't be too jealous though, corsec. Yes, I saw some wonderful concerts in the 70's, but that means that means I'm old now, 59! Enjoy your youth and make some great memories of your own!
).

Maybe they did. Everyone overlooks Midnight Flyer. And TITTL and TIE really are crowd pleasers, though I personally find them too cliché.

And interesting about the songs. So if no orchestra most definitely Wasted Time (Reprise) wasn't done. And Outlaw Man and Doolin Dalton? Makes the setlist at setlist.fm completely wrong. None of those two songs are even there. And also, you got lucky!!! 2 and a half hours is long for a 70's Eagles show!

Also, Midnight Flyer in 1975 Seattle is a staple. In fact, I assume you may have heard Blackberry Blossom before/after.

And it's fine. Though kinda disappointing. Minors like me (I'm only 16) want more!!!!!!!! We need details of reasonable veracity. I may sound selfish, but I personally would've loved if people who were there at the concert would've remembered more of the details. They are miles ahead of anything today fo' sho.

And lastly, that jealousy will never really subside, sadly. You got to see them in their prime. I'll never get to see them at all, let alone prime. And the future of music, as to my generation looks so bleak, all of you would roll your eyes. Memories, as good as yours, will never be made. I arguably became an Eagles fan at the worst age possible.
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #40
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,891
Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
).
Makes the setlist at setlist.fm completely wrong. None of those two songs are even there.

Not the first time and not the last time that site's been wrong!
__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.