Page 74 of 195 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Interesting! Thanks Koala!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Interesting! Thanks Koala!
    I wonder why/how they got Don? I know they've all done a lot for various charities over the years (in addition to the ones they have established themselves e.g. Caddo Lake Inst/Walden Woods), but do the guys get approached for a lot of this sort of thing, how do they pick what they will support?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi
    I wonder why/how they got Don? I know they've all done a lot for various charities over the years (in addition to the ones they have established themselves e.g. Caddo Lake Inst/Walden Woods), but do the guys get approached for a lot of this sort of thing, how do they pick what they will support?
    Here's what MAC is, according to their website:
    "The Meade Activity Center project was initiated by a group of local citizens with the goal of constructing a state-of-the-art fitness facility that will provide programming and activities to improve overall wellness in the area. With the recent national focus on rising health care costs and diseases caused by obesity and smoking, this volunteer-based organization is taking an innovative approach to improve the quality of life for a community that previously had limited access to fitness opportunities."
    I wonder if MAC is actually non-profit? Their "vision" and "fundraising" seems to imply that they are, as well as the statement that it is "volunteer-based." Everyone here has assumed they are - but where does it say that? If you look at their site, a membership to this "state of the art fitness facility" costs $40 a month and if you want to use the golf course, it costs $80 a month. Financial aid is available so presumably they give discounts to poor people, but overall MAC sure doesn't sound like a charity to me. Just to be sure, I asked them straight out. I'll let you know their reply.

At any rate, I doubt Don would accept money for himself, but it is probably known to many Directors of Fundraisers that the fastest way to Don's heart is through Walden Woods. Judging from some of his past activities, he's not too discriminating with regard to where the money for the donation comes from, so he is unlikely to turn you down if you can contribute a substantive amount. That makes him a prime candidate to approach for such things, be they non-profit or for-profit.

It would be interesting to see what Don's speech will cover - the importance of exercising?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

It would be interesting to see what Don's speech will cover - the importance of exercising?
    I hope so, these guys have another 40 years to go.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Here's hoping they're still performing for many more years (I'm not sure about 40 more years, though!).

Hmm, he could do a speech on people taking individual and collective responsibility for their local communities - environment, recreation and other facilities, wellbeing etc. He could tie it into what is being achieved by the Caddo Lake Institute...?
    Suzanne

As of today, I have gotten no reply from MAC to my question about whether or not this is a non-profit (a question which I not only emailed them but asked them on their facebook - a facebook they've posted on since then). To me, that silence says it all.

Seems like they are actively trying to mislead people into thinking they are a charity - notice how they bold the words "non-profit" in the write up, even though that is describing Don's work, not theirs.

When I ask them point-blank if it is a non-profit... a simple yes or no question... they don't answer. Why not?

There's only one reason that I can see: an honest answer ("yes, we're for profit") will destroy the illusion they're trying to create with all their implications and noble-sounding statements about wanting to help the community. The lawyers tell them not to outright lie, so they just don't answer.

This is a business, and the community members must pay a pretty penny for their "access to fitness opportunities." The website vaguely mentions there is a possibility for "financial aid" but gives no specifics. Certainly that is not what their main purpose is. Their main purpose is to make money.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that. Who knows - perhaps a portion of their profits go back to the community in some way (although they never explicitly say so). I have no problem with a fitness center holding a gala to encourage investment in their enterprise. I do have a problem with the way they are trying to strongly imply they are a non-profit (without outright saying it) when they are actually a for-profit business.

Maybe Don should give a talk about corporate ethics.

However, EaglesKiwi, I think your guess is far more likely!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Technically, unless they have certain IRS-sanctioned distinctions, they are not allowed to bill themselves as non-profit, even if their goal isn't to make money. There's a fitness facility here in town that charges people money, depending on where they live (town, county, or out-of-county) and they also get money from the local governments. They are not non-profit, yet they operate in the red each year and in order not to take more money from local governments, they have fundraisers a few times a year. Not sure it's the same thing.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

If that's the case, more power to them... but why not just say so when asked directly?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    If that's the case, more power to them... but why not just say so when asked directly?
    Maybe because it's harder to explain? (Although VA did a fantastic job!). And they wouldn't necessarily want to say that they operate in the red each year!

Soda - I would almost be more surprised if Don didn't find a way to work "corporate ethics" into his speech, even if he goes with my themes!
    Suzanne

You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love