Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Judy Collins ? That should be interesting.

I started reading "Altamont: The Rolling Stones, The Hell's Angels, and The Inside Story of Rock's Darkest Day." I've been intrigued by this subject ever since learning about it from Barney Hoskyns' "Hotel California" book. It still blows my mind that someone was murdered at a Stones' concert.

So far it's really interesting getting into the back stories of the major players: the Stones' financial and personal situations, the changing social and cultural scene in San Francisco, and the unconventional lifestyles and mindsets of the Grateful Dead members.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I don't have any music related books that I plan on reading within the next month or so.

I read Philip Dick's The Minority Report a few days ago. I hope that what happened in that book never happens. I'm currently reading Witches and Ghosts of the British Isles by J. Wentworth Day. I love ghost stories, so when I saw this book in the library, I decided to read it. I'm enjoying it, but some of the language is hard for an American to follow. I plan on reading Murder at Buckingham Palace by T.E.B Clarke next. I have several books checked out from a local library, but I don't have a specific order to read them in, so I just pick one after I finish one usually.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

After I finish the Brian Jones biography, my stack of 'to-read' books includes "Hitch 22" by Christopher Hitchens and "How to Be Born Again" by Billy Graham(can you imagine two more different authors?).
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I started reading "Altamont: The Rolling Stones, The Hell's Angels, and The Inside Story of Rock's Darkest Day." I've been intrigued by this subject ever since learning about it from Barney Hoskyns' "Hotel California" book. It still blows my mind that someone was murdered at a Stones' concert.

So far it's really interesting getting into the back stories of the major players: the Stones' financial and personal situations, the changing social and cultural scene in San Francisco, and the unconventional lifestyles and mindsets of the Grateful Dead members.
    Have you seen the movie "Gimme Shelter"? It's a classic.

No, I haven't seen it but after reading the book I absolutely want to. I don't think it's on DVD though and I don't have Showtime. I did see some clips on YT.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

It's been on DVD for ages. Shoot, I think I saw it on VHS!
    https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/The-Ro...rkid=201891639

Oh, I forgot about YouTube. Someone's probably uploaded the whole film there.

Well, doh! I need to be more vigilant about these things. Thanks for the info, NMB.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm currently reading a lot of historical fiction. As I type this, I'm about halfway done with The Black Death by John Hatcher. It focuses on one English village during the spread of the bubonic plague (The Black Death) between 1345-1350. The book after this one will be Churchill'so Secret Agent by Max Champlin. I also plan to read a few Faulkner books and The Diary of Anne Frank sometime within the next month.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I just finished reading Nicholas Sparks’ latest novel “Two by Two” and it was great!!! It was a bit different for a Sparks novel as it feels somewhat like a memoir as it’s told from the main character Russ’ POV and tells what happened to him over the worst year of his life and Russ shares a story at the beginning of each chapter from his past. The book focuses a lot on Russ’ marriage falling apart and him learning to be a single dad, which probably was inspired by what was going on with Sparks in real life at the time, but then it does take a tragic turn before getting hopeful again. It also felt different as romance wasn’t the main aspect of this book, but it was more about relationships between family members and friendships and how that will help us get through anything.

Next I'm reading "With Light" and it's a new Christmas set Young Adult novel in California that's been getting great reviews. Then will be reading a couple memoirs by actresses Lauren Graham and Anna Kendrick that come out this month and want to check out Bruce Springsteen's and Phil Collins' new books too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."