The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Off-Topic Discussion Areas > Wonder at the Powers That Be

Wonder at the Powers That Be For when the talk on the street is about more serious off-topic subjects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #61
Brooke
Moderator
 
Brooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)
Posts: 19,866
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

I watched the rebroadcasts on MSNBC yesterday evening. Unbelievable it's been 10 years. I can't imagine how it would have been to have been living in NYC then. Thanks for your story HH.

After watching the part about the FAA and how they handled it all, it looks like they really dropped the ball and might have been able to have prevented at least part of it. Hopefully, they've gotten their act together by now.

ETA: Soda, your video was awesome.
__________________
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Frey/glenngreenbanner.jpg

"My brothers, the Eagles, forever may you fly" Linda Ronstadt, Kennedy Center Honors, 2016

Last edited by Brooke; 09-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #62
Topkat
Stuck on the Border
 
Topkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,313
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

HH: I too was alarmed at how young most of those who died that day were. The company Cantor Fitzgerald, where the entire company perished, was a group of very young traders, most in their 20's & early 30's, and the firefighters were also mostly such young guys, with small children & some had pregnant wives. It really struck a nerve, that these people were in the prime of their lives, with so much ahead of them, all taken away so quickly. I was so heart broken for their families. We will never forget that day. Even 10 years later, the pain doesn't go away.
Topkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #63
SteveJoburg
Out on the Border
 
SteveJoburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 95
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

I hope you folks don't mind me posting in this thread... Its amazing to me how people from all over the world, literally, remember that day as though it was yesterday. It was late afternoon here and my father had phoned me to tell me to find a TV and switch it on. I went home early and put on CNN...

A big part of going to NY for my wife and I is the fact that we have wanted to go to the memorial and pay our respects ever since that day. We never knew anyone who passed away. But it is going to be an incredibly emotional experience for both of us, as bizarre as that might sound.

On the tenth anniversary, a forum member on another US site posted a link to the letters his then eighteen year old daughter had written home to him. She had just arrived in NY to attend college. Instead of rushing back home, she spent the rest of September volunteering, getting food to the firefighters, helping at a hospital... Her daily accounts (The letters ran for quite a few weeks after) made it all so much more real and immediate. It was quite something to read.

I asked my amazing wife who she would love to see in NY and jokingly, who's autograph she would love to get... Without hesitation, she said "every New York firefighter and policeman I see..."

I fell just a little bit more in love with her for that.
__________________


I woke up this morning with an attitude
looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood
SteveJoburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #64
VAisForEagleLovers
Stuck on the Border
 
VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ridin' with Lady Luck in Kentucky
Posts: 11,013
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJoburg View Post
I hope you folks don't mind me posting in this thread... Its amazing to me how people from all over the world, literally, remember that day as though it was yesterday. It was late afternoon here and my father had phoned me to tell me to find a TV and switch it on. I went home early and put on CNN...

A big part of going to NY for my wife and I is the fact that we have wanted to go to the memorial and pay our respects ever since that day. We never knew anyone who passed away. But it is going to be an incredibly emotional experience for both of us, as bizarre as that might sound.

On the tenth anniversary, a forum member on another US site posted a link to the letters his then eighteen year old daughter had written home to him. She had just arrived in NY to attend college. Instead of rushing back home, she spent the rest of September volunteering, getting food to the firefighters, helping at a hospital... Her daily accounts (The letters ran for quite a few weeks after) made it all so much more real and immediate. It was quite something to read.

I asked my amazing wife who she would love to see in NY and jokingly, who's autograph she would love to get... Without hesitation, she said "every New York firefighter and policeman I see..."

I fell just a little bit more in love with her for that.
Ah, Steve, that is so sweet what your wife said! And of course we don't mind you bringing this thread forward.

My family lives in Somerset County, PA and I grew up there, I still haven't seen that memorial. I now live in DC and haven't gone to the Pentagon, either. My memories are still so fresh, I don't need to see any memorials for me to remember. I'll never forget.
__________________
VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.
VAisForEagleLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #65
zeldabjr
Stuck on the Border
 
zeldabjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 5,653
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

I don't think a day goes by without me thinking of 9/11 (my sister thinks I'm morbid about it). I live in NYState but have never been to NYC... I hope to go there one day...and I know the highlight of a trip there will definitely be going to the memorial... We all changed that day... I remember I could feel the love coming from all over the world that day...still gives me the chills.

Zelda
__________________
zeldabjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #66
Ive always been a dreamer
Moderator
 
Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cruising down the center of a two-way street in Virginia
Posts: 16,880
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Loved reading your post, Steve. That's the thing about 9/11 - it seems it didn't just change us here in America - it change the entire free world. It truly is a day we'll never forget. I try not to dwell on the negatives though; I try to focus more on the good stuff that came out of it instead.
__________________

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
Glenn Frey 1948 - 2016
Ive always been a dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #67
Prettymaid
Stuck on the Border
 
Prettymaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere out on that horizon
Posts: 11,244
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Thanks for the touching post Steve. If only humankind could keep that initial feeling of love, compassion and support always. We could move mountains.
__________________
~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
It's a perfect occupation for me.
Prettymaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #68
SteveJoburg
Out on the Border
 
SteveJoburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 95
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
Thanks for the touching post Steve. If only humankind could keep that initial feeling of love, compassion and support always. We could move mountains.
Amen... Don't know if you've ever seen the movie Invictus with Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman, which was about the 1995 Rugby World Cup, which was in SA. That movie was about something huge to us here that really happened. In a country known for it's issues, especially back then, and with a fledgling year old democracy, us winning that world cup here in Johannesburg was just as significant a day for every South African, but in an incredibly good way. People of every colour, culture, background, social standing, were literally dancing in the streets. I lived in a little flat in the city back then and when the final whistle blew, the cars in the street literally all came to a standstill while strangers partied and danced together... That feeling of euphoria lasted a long time, but I've never felt it again... We as a nation just then could have done anything, or so it felt. The power of positivity, I guess.
__________________


I woke up this morning with an attitude
looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood
SteveJoburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #69
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,086
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

It's that time of year again to remember the victims of 9/11. Here's the video I posted last year:

https://myspace.com/eaglesonlinecent...orld/108181358

11 years and counting. I just hope humanity can learn.
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #70
zeldabjr
Stuck on the Border
 
zeldabjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 5,653
Default Re: Remembering 9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
It's that time of year again to remember the victims of 9/11. Here's the video I posted last year:

https://myspace.com/eaglesonlinecent...orld/108181358

11 years and counting. I just hope humanity can learn.
I wish I was a fly on the wall when our guys got together that night and started writing that beautiful song...did any other major music acts write a song about that day?...God bless the USA...can't believe it's eleven years...I would love to visit the memorials in all three places someday.
__________________
zeldabjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.