The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Band Member Discussion Areas > Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh Enjoy the good life with Joe Walsh (everybody says he's cool).

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #21
Funk 50
Stuck on the Border
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
I think getting Joe in the band in place of Bernie was the smartest thing they've done or could do.

The change to rock n' roll served them well with the success of Hotel California and The Long Run.

I notice Felder's still claiming the credit for taking the Eagles more rock'n'roll.

I've just recently formed the opinion that the Eagles/Walsh union was on the cards before Felder arrived on the scene, the stumbling block being Joe's solo career.

When the band meet Felder, they decide we don't need Joe, we can have this guy instead. A few months later they decide that they still need Joe.

If they brought in Joe first, I can't see Don Felder ever becoming an Eagle. Whether Bernie left or not. Judging by Felder's most recent album, he's actually more M.O.R. than the Eagles.
Funk 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #22
UndertheWire
Stuck on the Border
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

The story is that Joe was out of town when they wanted someone to play slide on "Good Day in Hell". The truth is that Glenn, Henley and Randy were responsible for taking the band in a more rock-n-roll direction and they brought Felder and Joe in to help them.
UndertheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
Midnight Visitor
Border Rebel
 
Midnight Visitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bandon, OR
Posts: 813
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

I've just recently formed the opinion that the Eagles/Walsh union was on the cards before Felder arrived on the scene, the stumbling block being Joe's solo career.

When the band meet Felder, they decide we don't need Joe, we can have this guy instead. A few months later they decide that they still need Joe.
Sorry, I don't think that's the case. Felder was a friend of Bernie's. Felder did in fact bring a more rock guitar sound to the band. I don't believe there was any talk of Joe joining before Felder.
__________________

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69
Midnight Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
Ive always been a dreamer
Moderator
 
Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cruising down the center of a two-way street in Virginia
Posts: 16,878
Exclamation Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
Dreamer, I look at it in the sense that Bernie had already left the band, so for me, it's not a case of Joe being a better option than Bernie. I just feel that Joe was a much better option than anyone else they could have chosen.
I hear ya VA. And I certainly don't mean to be derogatory to Bernie. I think he was the perfect choice for the band at the beginning to achieve the country rock sound they were going for. When the band decided to go for a more rock and roll sound, they brought in Felder. Unfortunately, they still were unable to achieve exactly what they wanted until they made the transition from Bernie to Joe. They actually announced Bernie's departure and the addition of Joe at the same time in a short press release. I know the context of the press release is on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Now, since I'm one that loves all of the music that the band did, I don't think one incarnation of the band was better than the other. I do, however, believe the change was a very shrewd move because it proved that the band was able to perform pretty much any genre of popular music at a very high level. As I said in my previous post, I believe that the change was very significant in making the band a lasting entity.
__________________

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
Glenn Frey 1948 - 2016
Ive always been a dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #25
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 23,249
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
I notice Felder's still claiming the credit for taking the Eagles more rock'n'roll.

I've just recently formed the opinion that the Eagles/Walsh union was on the cards before Felder arrived on the scene, the stumbling block being Joe's solo career.

When the band meet Felder, they decide we don't need Joe, we can have this guy instead. A few months later they decide that they still need Joe.

If they brought in Joe first, I can't see Don Felder ever becoming an Eagle. Whether Bernie left or not. Judging by Felder's most recent album, he's actually more M.O.R. than the Eagles.
Joe didn't join until the end of 1975 which is over a year after Felder joined.

I'm not sure how the comment about Road To Forever which was made in 2012 is relevant to Felder's music in 1974.
__________________
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #26
VAisForEagleLovers
Stuck on the Border
 
VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ridin' with Lady Luck in Kentucky
Posts: 11,013
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
I hear ya VA. And I certainly don't mean to be derogatory to Bernie. I think he was the perfect choice for the band at the beginning to achieve the country rock sound they were going for. When the band decided to go for a more rock and roll sound, they brought in Felder. Unfortunately, they still were unable to achieve exactly what they wanted until they made the transition from Bernie to Joe. They actually announced Bernie's departure and the addition of Joe at the same time in a short press release. I know the context of the press release is on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Now, since I'm one that loves all of the music that the band did, I don't think one incarnation of the band was better than the other. I do, however, believe the change was a very shrewd move because it proved that the band was able to perform pretty much any genre of popular music at a very high level. As I said in my previous post, I believe that the change was very significant in making the band a lasting entity.
I think they had to make the change. They wanted the success that only came to bands who were pure rock and roll, yes, but by 1975, country rock was not nearly as popular, and rock music was taking a turn. Their older catalog was still well received, as evidenced by the sales of Their Greatest Hits, but to keep making more of the same would have been a mistake.
__________________
VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.
VAisForEagleLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #27
Ive always been a dreamer
Moderator
 
Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cruising down the center of a two-way street in Virginia
Posts: 16,878
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY JOE!!!

This is a momentous day in Eagles history. It was 40 years ago today that the music world was rocked with the news that Joe Walsh was joining the Eagles. In spite of many fans being very skeptical at the time, I thought it was awesome. Looking back now, it seems to have been a brilliant move for all parties involved.



CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!


Long may you ROCK!!!
__________________

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
Glenn Frey 1948 - 2016
Ive always been a dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #28
LuvTim
Stuck on the Border
 
LuvTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Prairie
Posts: 3,315
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY JOE!!!

This is a momentous day in Eagles history. It was 40 years ago today that the music world was rocked with the news that Joe Walsh was joining the Eagles. In spite of many fans being very skeptical at the time, I thought it was awesome. Looking back now, it seems to have been a brilliant move for all parties involved.



CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!


Long may you ROCK!!!

Dreamer, you have said it well, so I will second that.
Gotta love Joe.
__________________


It's all in your smile that brings
All of the special things about you
LuvTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
SoaringRockyMountainWay
Border Desperado
 
SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 278
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Joe is so awesome and I'm glad he's an Eagle!
__________________
People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.
SoaringRockyMountainWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #30
shunlvswx
Stuck on the Border
 
shunlvswx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 4,230
Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Happy 40th Anniversary to Joe. I think this was Glenn's and Irving's best decision to bring Joe into the band. He brought so much back in 1975 and he still bring so much today.

Taking a quote from one of his songs. Life's Been very good to him.
shunlvswx is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.