Page 73 of 195 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don in the press

Awww. Thanks for finding that, Nancy.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I was looking through some Google alerts (which I sadly don't check as often as I should) and found this:

Don Henley Has No Patience For Your 'Gotcha' Questions, Lamestream Rock Critics
    It's old news, and we discussed it when it first occurred, but the way Don pwned that interviewer still makes me laugh!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I totally understand why Mr. Henley loses his patience. Picture yourself sitting a hotel room on a press junket. In a five-hour period you are repeatedly asked inane, personal and annoying questions by dozens of "journalists".
    Some have preconceived or negative ideas about you and your art. Some have their own agendas. Some have no clue. How many torturous hours and ridiculous questions would I get through before losing it? Not many. Is it part of the territory? I guess. Does it make it any easier to handle? Nope. I'm just glad that he manages to effectively skewer this "journalist" with a sharp tongue. Maybe it'll be incentive for future interviewers to keep their questions thoughtful and relevant rather than inane. JMHO.

I agree, HH. In this case, the interviewer was clearly trying to embarrass Don by calling him out about wine not being a spirit. "Do you regret that lyric?" the guy asked him. How is Don supposed to react to a question like that? "Gee whiz, I never thought of that! My bad! Thanks for pointing it out and giving me the opportunity to apologize for making this mortifying mistake." I guess he could've laughed it off, but he couldn't resist giving that smarta$$ a snarky set-down and I don't blame him. In fact, I find it highly amusing.

ETA: That article only contains an edited version of the quote. Here is Don's full response:
    Don: Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention -- and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes.
    Don = 1; Lame Interviewer = 0

..haha...WELL DONE DON!

Cute Don mention on former backup singer Jana Anderson's Facebook:
    "In honor of Groundhog Day, I have a slightly funny Groundhog Day story. It was several years ago, I was on tour as a backup singer with Don Henley. We were all on the commerical flight, including Don. We pulled away from the New York airport gate. Because of weather, we were unable to take off...for FIVE AND A HALF HOURS!!! They couldn't take out the carts and serve us any food or drinks because we were in a line to take off...FOR FIVE AND A HALF HOURS!!! Guess what the free inflight movie was? Yep, GROUNDHOG DAY with Bill Murray. We watched Groundhog Day TWO TIMES IN A ROW BEFORE EVEN TAKING OFF. Then they played it a third time while we flew. Ironic enough? "

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Too funny!

I'm sure that was pretty terrible, but being stuck on an airplane with Don wouldn't be so bad!

ETA: IF he was in a good mood!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

How deliciously funny is playing that movie 3 times?

I have to admit, if I didn't have any water or food with me I would have been losing the plot after 5 hours... although it might be enough time to screw up my courage to say hello to Don... nah, I'd just think I was gonna annoy him and would sit back in the cheap sits dreaming and kicking myself.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I dunno - I've gotta think that if I were stuck on an airplane with Don for 5 hours, that would give me plenty time to muster up enough courage to speak to him!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Don Henley to be 2012 MAC Gala Guest Speaker

http://meadeactivitycenter.org/2012/...re-don-henley/
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)