Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Glenn's new album "After Hours"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: New album "After Hours" press and discussion

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    An interview from The Australian. To read it you need to subscribe. Here's the link if you wish to do so, but it's a mostly positive review with no new observations and definitely no new news. I was hoping there would be some details about a possible trip Down Under for Glenn, but there's nothing even hinted at about it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts...-1226446665646
    Unfortunately I refuse to subscribe to Murdoch's right wing trash.

As for the other review, I guess I should be pleased that the Australian press has suddenly discovered the album exists.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.

I just ordered a vinyl copy of AH & the tee shirt from Glenn's website (what a hassle, but that's beside the point). Has anyone gotten the vinyl yet? If so, how do you think the sound compares with the CD? I have read in some reviews that the vinyl gives superior sound.

I had better search for a supplier of a new needle for my turntable before I play the record. It hasn't been changed in years & I certainly don't want to damage the LP in any way. Also I want the best sound.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

GL, I got the vinyl copy but haven't listened to it yet. A friend borrowed my turntable and hasn't returned it yet. I'm thinking I need to just buy another one.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

GL, I got the vinyl copy but haven't listened to it yet. A friend borrowed my turntable and hasn't returned it yet. I'm thinking I need to just buy another one.
    We're thinking of getting a new one too. We want to convert our old albums so we can put them on CDs & iTunes. Does anybody have any recommendations?

What a coincidence! I just received an email about this from the company behind the vinyl. They say:

"On the 180g LP, listeners will experience the complete dynamic range,dead-quiet backgrounds, impeccable balances, and ultra-silent surfaces. The production is supervised by multi-Grammy-winning engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner.The results on vinyl are nothing short of exquisite. Frey did with the performances on the album, our LP copy references the era of great-sounding analog recordings. The amount of information in the record grooves exceeds that which is available via download or CD."
    It sounds pretty good!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    We're thinking of getting a new [turntable] too. We want to convert our old albums so we can put them on CDs & iTunes. Does anybody have any recommendations?
    I use a Starlogic turntable with a USB port in order to digitize albums that aren't available on CD. You hook up the turntable to your computer via a USB cable, then you use audio software such as Audacity to capture the audio as .wav onto your hard drive. You can also convert that to MP3.

It's worked pretty well for me. That's how I got Longbranch Pennywhistle on MP3, the Eagles B-side "Get You in the Mood," the soundtrack song "The Lonely Guy," etc. Unfortunately, it will also pick up that "scratchy" sound LPs often have.

Here's "Get You in the Mood":

I got mine several years ago, though, so there are probably better ones out there now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    What a coincidence! I just received an email about this from the company behind the vinyl. They say:
    "On the 180g LP, listeners will experience the complete dynamic range,dead-quiet backgrounds, impeccable balances, and ultra-silent surfaces. The production is supervised by multi-Grammy-winning engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner.The results on vinyl are nothing short of exquisite. Frey did with the performances on the album, our LP copy references the era of great-sounding analog recordings. The amount of information in the record grooves exceeds that which is available via download or CD."
    It sounds pretty good!
    That's what I read that made me want the vinyl. I must have gotten it in a Google Alert. I just got an alert about your post of this on GF Online, LOL! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I use a Starlogic turntable with a USB port in order to digitize albums that aren't available on CD. You hook up the turntable to your computer via a USB cable, then you use audio software such as Audacity to capture the audio as .wav onto your hard drive. You can also convert that to MP3.

It's worked pretty well for me. That's how I got Longbranch Pennywhistle on MP3, the Eagles B-side "Get You in the Mood," the soundtrack song "The Lonely Guy," etc. Unfortunately, it will also pick up that "scratchy" sound LPs often have.

Here's "Get You in the Mood":

I got mine several years ago, though, so there are probably better ones out there now.
    Thanks for the info, Soda!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Got this in a Google alert where it says that Glenn is going to Australia in October, but they are quoting an interview he did in London back in June. Where they say Music-News 'also says' tells us the first bits of info are from there as well.

http://www.noise11.com/news/glenn-fr...ralia-20120817
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Got this in a Google alert where it says that Glenn is going to Australia in October, but they are quoting an interview he did in London back in June. Where they say Music-News 'also says' tells us the first bits of info are from there as well.

http://www.noise11.com/news/glenn-fr...ralia-20120817
    I thought the same thing, VA, but I listened to the interview again and Glenn made no mention of going to Australia or anywhere else to promote AH. So happy for FP & any other Australian Glenn fans!!!