Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Of My Love tuning

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Best Of My Love tuning

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Are you talking about the part in the song where the vocals stop and they play out that one chord one string at a time? Because based on the capital centre footage, i think Glenn strums like a triad or something. I can’t tell what it is but he’s not doing the chord on the record. Maybe joe or don is.
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I think Glenn does play the arpeggio in the video I posted. I'd have to check to make sure, but that's what I remember.

Stuck on the Border

Are you talking about the part in the song where the vocals stop and they play out that one chord one string at a time? Because based on the capital centre footage, i think Glenn strums like a triad or something. I can’t tell what it is but he’s not doing the chord on the record. Maybe joe or don is.
    Don't forget that neither Joe nor Don Felder played on the record. It would have been Glenn or Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I think Glenn does play the arpeggio in the video I posted. I'd have to check to make sure, but that's what I remember.
    What performance is it from?

Question Re: Best Of My Love tuning

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Don't forget that neither Joe nor Don Felder played on the record. It would have been Glenn or Bernie.
    I was just basing it off the live performance of it at the captial centre. I don’t think there’s a 12 string guitar on the record but there is one live

Stuck on the Border

What performance is it from?
    The link is in my previous post.

Just checked the original version. There's definitely at least one 12-string guitar right from the beginning.

Stuck on the Border

Now that I looked at the video again Glenn doesn't play the C on the A string when the play the C chord. (He also avoids playing barre chords.) I think his low E's are in C and his A strings in G. So in the C chord his two lowest strings (C and G) are open, whether he actually picks them or not, and in the D minor chord his thumb plays the low D and A on the 2nd fret. And when they come to the G7, he plays the open G and the chord on top of that.

EDIT:

When you look at Glenn's fingerings, he plays the Em7 and Fm7 chords the same way. Thumb on the two lowest strings providing the root and the 5th. For example, on the Em7 chord his thumb is on the 4th fret (two lowest strings) and the rest of the notes are G (D string), B (G string), D (B string) and possibly the high E open. (Of course he doesn't play an open E in the Fm7 chord!)

I'm not saying I'm right, but I tried it on the guitar and it works. Plus it looks like what Glenn is playing.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Out on the Border

I have the Sirius XM channel, and they had CH 30 as the EAGLES channel ( Now a damn Billy Joel channel - who gives a **** about Billy Joel?) - Don Henley refers to a "Drop C" tuning - For guitar players , you tune down your top ( Fat E ) string down to a C -

I have tried the "Double Drop C" ( tune BOTH E strings down to a "C" - this DOES work, but really does not seem to add much to the dynamics of that song. I can tell on videos, that they don't fret EITHER of the E-strings when they play it-
    Joe Walsh's guitar appears to be standard tuning as he DOES fret these strings..

Hope it helps a little -

SPK

Stuck on the Border

Glenn did fret the low E and A string with his thumb imo

After listening to Glenn’s 1989 interview about the making of On The Border, he explains the tuning he comes up with. He said that he was inspired by open C that Joni Mitchell was using but got lost along the way. The tuning he said he “came up with” was that he lowered the low E string to C and the a string to g. He was playing with that and then hammered on a a minor 7th onto the D and B strings. His state’s that the first two chords (in simple terms) are a c and d minor chord. The most trustworthy chord book I used had it as being standard tuning with a F major chord instead. But it is not apparently which is interesting. I’m gonna have to try this out soon and see. Normally I’d trust Glenn but Don himself was off about the tuning of the song so who knows Lol.

Here’s the interview in case you’re interested: http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on...aocl97hraUrbfs

Keep in mind it covers Desperado and On The Border so you have to skip around if you want to hear strictly the BOML part but the interview is really good in general though

Out on the Border

After listening to Glenn’s 1989 interview about the making of On The Border, he explains the tuning he comes up with. He said that he was inspired by open C that Joni Mitchell was using but got lost along the way. The tuning he said he “came up with” was that he lowered the low E string to C and the a string to g. He was playing with that and then hammered on a a minor 7th onto the D and B strings. His state’s that the first two chords (in simple terms) are a c and d minor chord. The most trustworthy chord book I used had it as being standard tuning with a F major chord instead. But it is not apparently which is interesting. I’m gonna have to try this out soon and see. Normally I’d trust Glenn but Don himself was off about the tuning of the song so who knows Lol.

Here’s the interview in case you’re interested: http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on...aocl97hraUrbfs

Keep in mind it covers Desperado and On The Border so you have to skip around if you want to hear strictly the BOML part but the interview is really good in general though
    Thanks. I’ll have to get my guitar out and try and I’ll get back to you if Austin doesn’t beat me.