Thread: Eagles songs live vs in the studio

Default Eagles songs live vs in the studio

Are there songs you seen played live or heard live personally that makes you believe it's better live than in the studio or Vice versa? To me the country songs sound better on the record because they can get the more subtle things better than live but the harder stuff sounds better live

Border Desperado

Default Re: Eagles songs live vs in the studio

For me, Hotel California and Life's Been Good are 2 that just stand out to me that I thought were much better live, than the studio version.

Border Troubadour

As much as I love it, I never thought Pretty Maids All in a Row worked very well in large arenas; though it isn't too bad in a more enclosed venues (see the HFO concert and Walsh's solo performances). Conversely, I prefer the live versions of Peaceful Easy Feeling to the studio one.

Stuck on the Border

I didn't think much of the studio version of Those Shoes so I was surprised at how well it worked live.

Doolin Dalton sounds even bigger live and In The City is stretched out and feels more rockin. I also prefer the arrangement of Take It To The Limit with the little slide guitar at the beginning, though nothing can beat the 77 version due to the vocals I prefer the more guitar heavy arrangement of the History tour it was my personal favourite of the show I saw in 2014.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

I tend to get attached to the studio versions, unless they are below the bar sonically (see the early Kiss albums, which are great in terms of material). I don't think I've ever heard a live version of an Eagles song where I've went "this is better than the studio version". If an exception comes to mind, I'll get back to this.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

After seeing them twice on the HoTE tour, I think that Those Shoes, DD and DD Reprise and all of the Joe songs sound better live. Loved them. Was really surprised.

I can only go by what I've heard of the various concert clips over the years. The live versions of "Tryin" and "Chug All Night" so rock more than the studio versions! The band were more experimental and daring in their early days compared to the later play-live-just-like-on-the-album years. I love how they performed these songs along with "Oh Darling/Wait and See" with long instrumental jams (I'm guessing the studio version of "Wait and See" was shorter and less lively).

Other songs where the live versions are better: '75 Too Many Hands, '77 Witchy Woman, '77 Turn to Stone (their pinnacle as a true rock band, IMO).

YEF, I tend to agree with you about the country/country rock ballads being better on record, or at least just as good live, from what I've heard anyway. The exception being "Take It to the Limit" with Randy on lead.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Bernie's banjo tunes