Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Particularly Galling Eagles Snub in Documentary

Default Re: Particularly Galling Eagles Snub in Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    I mentioned this before in the 'Eagles Mentions in TV Shows' thread. Here's the page on that thread where I mentioned it: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ary#post338657

No need to really look at it though, since I pretty much said the same thing as you.

I watched the music episode for "The Nineties" in the hope that maybe "Hell Freezes Over" and/or "The Dance" would be mentioned to indicate the resurgence of 70's groups coming back to life to become popular and mainstays in the live music circuit once again. But nope, no mention of the Eagles nor Fleetwood Mac. It was about the new music at the time: grunge, country (Dixie Chicks/Garth Brooks/Reba/etc), Alanis Morissette, and Hip Hop/Rap.

I don't remember what the music episode for "The Eighties" had, but I'm pretty sure that Don Henley wasn't mentioned b/c I probably would have said something if he were.

Also, the mention of Fleetwood Mac in "The Seventies" informed me that the person who sings "Go Your Own Way" was not a woman as I've thought, but it was a man, Lindsey Buckingham. Yep, I always thought the song was from a woman until I saw that bearded dude with an afro playing on a white Les Paul. And because of that, I've been on a Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey Buckingham kick for about a year.
    Rudie - ah, sorry to retread old ground! This was my first time seeing it - in fact, I didn't realize it was a CNN series.

(PS - LOL about GYOW!)

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    I seem to vaguely remember reading an article a few years ago that indicated the Eagles and management granted very few requests to use their images or songs for documentaries or other types of TV programs. (There is a You Tube video of David Letterman claiming he wanted Paul Shaffer and the orchestra to play Eagles songs but an agreement couldn't be reached.) That may or may not be part of the reason but it shouldn't prevent anyone from mentioning them by name.
    The omission of the Eagles wasn't about images because when they mentioned Glenn and Don in their list of songwriters, they showed a quick clip of each playing.

Now, it is very possible CNN would not be allowed to use the Eagles' music. As you say, though, that wouldn't prevent them from talking about the Eagles. It would be the height of pettiness to not even acknowledge the existence of the biggest band of the 70s just because you couldn't play a clip of a song! I guess we can't rule it out, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

No need to be sorry, Soda. I'm glad to talk about this, since it didn't get any traction back then.

I didn't think that the omission would be from legal issues regarding music copyright. It didn't come to my mind at all. (sorry that the previous sentence here was painfully repetitive.)
    Last edited by RudieCantFail; 09-18-2017 at 01:00 AM.

My guess is it had everything to do with the music licensing. Some groups would have either licensed their music happily, or just didn't care that CNN used it. (Any press is good press, right?) Some groups are not in that camp. And CNN may have thought, "Well, it's a music group. Without the music, what's the point? Moving on..." Because you have to be so careful about copyright/licensing. We dealt with it all the time at the newspaper where I worked. It can be a real minefield.

Still wish they could have worked out a mention.

I think it is just downright poor reporting to do a show on 70's music and not include the Eagles, even if they couldn't include music clips.
    But I agree with Houston Baby that this sort of thing has been going on a long time! I remember not mentioning them when talk turned to music, just to avoid the ugly remarks some people would make. All the undeserved criticism has been crazy. I hate to think what their kids have had to endure.
    If it was a deliberate snub, we should put those responsible on the Eagles' "punch 'em on sight list" Glenn referred to!LOL.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

A lot of "history" writing seems to be about tastes of and decisions made by a rather small amount of people. We learn almost from the cradle which dead composers are genuises etc. Usually they were picked by someone along the way and put on a pedestal. (No women allowed!) However, the Eagles were so popular in the 70's (and still seem to be) that I think they will live on without the support of documentaries.

Having said that, I haven't watched the doc, but they can't include everyone. Fans of many bands will be upset whenever documentaries or - more often -"the best ever" lists are made. Were the Eagles the only huge band from the 70's that wasn't mentioned? Did they mention ELO? (another band that is cool to hate) I don't know how "serious" the doc is supposed to be. Anyway, being a Kiss fan I'm used to this.

Stuck on the Border

It was a surprising omission. I can't remember much about it, but was there a narrative that they didn't fit into?

With the caveat that I wasn't there, I thought the episode of "The Seventies" on TV was pretty poor, too. It didn't reflect the kind of show that made its way across the Atlantic and they failed to mention that several of the "groundbreaking" shows they featured were based on successful british shows (eg "All in the Family").

Stuck on the Border

Pippin - I think you are right about the music rights thing. Some times I don't get it. It would not kill the Eagles to allow a small tid bit of music to go along with a picture for music specials like the CNN one. I remember watching Letterman with the whole Eagles thing - they got torn apart for not allowing their music to be played. JMO, but they are too uptight when it comes to that kind of thing.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    A lot of "history" writing seems to be about tastes of and decisions made by a rather small amount of people. We learn almost from the cradle which dead composers are genuises etc. Usually they were picked by someone along the way and put on a pedestal. (No women allowed!) However, the Eagles were so popular in the 70's (and still seem to be) that I think they will live on without the support of documentaries.

Having said that, I haven't watched the doc, but they can't include everyone. Fans of many bands will be upset whenever documentaries or - more often -"the best ever" lists are made. Were the Eagles the only huge band from the 70's that wasn't mentioned? Did they mention ELO? (another band that is cool to hate) I don't know how "serious" the doc is supposed to be. Anyway, being a Kiss fan I'm used to this.
    That's what I would like to know. Were only American bands featured? If so, then the omission of the Eagles is wrong. If certain British bands who were as big if not bigger than the Eagles were featured, I can't say it bothers me that much.

Well, it was definitely geared towards American pop culture; the British bands that made it were the ones who were big over here (Led Zeppelin, Elton John, David Bowie all got some love). They also spent a segment on the solo careers of the former Beatles.

I'm sure there were many beloved bands that were omitted (ELO among them although I do believe they were ever quite as big a phenomenon in the States) but the Eagles aren't just a popular band, they were the most popular band.

The Eagles would have fit beautifully in the segment talking about California rock where they were showing Linda Ronstadt, JD Souther, etc!

The program often would do montages of several bands' images during a segment discussing a certain genre while not playing songs clips by every single band discussed simply due to logistics. Seems they could have done that with the Eagles.

This was just reshown on CNN and I felt my outrage all over again. NOT COOL CNN!!