Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles harmonies

Default Favorite Eagles harmonies

Obviously the Eagles are an elite harmonizing band, but what is your favorite Eagles song in terms of harmonies. (Something outside of like seven bridges road which is too obvious)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favorite Eagles harmonies

YEF - LOL - I would have to say SBR - That is one of my all time favorite Eagles songs. However, I think the harmonies on LE, NKIT and BOML are beyond beautiful ! They won the Grammy for Best Vocal Arrangement for LE and a Grammy for Best Vocal By a Group or Duo for NKIT.

NKIT i too love those songs but to me the peak for the Eagles vocally was already gone. Having bernie made them fuller to me.

In no particular order other than chronological:

1. Take It Easy
    2. Nightingale
    3. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    4. Saturday Night
    5. Already Gone
    6. My Man
    7. Best of My Love
    8. Ol' 55
    9. You Never Cry Like a Lover
    10. Midnight Flyer
    11. One of These Nights
    12. Lyin Eyes
    13. New Kid in Town
    14. Waiting in the Weeds (Don and Timothy's voices blend beautifully here)

ETA: oops I mis-read the OP...it's supposed to be one song...I guess it's either Best of My Love or My Man...it's hard to choose. To me the On the Border album was where their harmonies truly shined the most.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

There are so many songs that we could talk about the famous Eagles harmonies. Delilah has a good list. They really shined on the first four albums.

One of mine would have to be the "Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise". And "Ol' 55". The way the harmony builds is just so perfect. It's really a beautifully produced track. You can hear each instrument individually, but they all blend, too. The harmonies don't drown out Glenn's lead, and they slip between leads so easily. I do like that one.

Out on the Border

That part on New Kid In Town where they harmonize the Tears On Your Shoulder line, it's so beautiful especially Randy Meisners high part

Ol 55 is incredible, for the reasons listed. Love that song.

I loved the one they opened Take It Easy with in the beginning. I think it was Silver Dagger (maybe). The first line "My daddy was..." set the harmonies standard from the beginning.

Border Troubadour

Most of mine have been said but I will add my own comments.

I love Silver Dagger; I wish it had never been culled but that of course is totally implausible. It sounds so raw and I like the utterly random nature of it, it does sound like something you just sing backstage for five minutes to get warmed up. I have never been a Seven Bridges Road fan, as much as I love the lyrical content, as it sounds far too polished and I think it begins to drag.

My next is Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise); the strength of the closing harmonies I think probably takes it beyond my beloved username as the strongest closing track on an Eagles album. It was haunting back in the day when you used to see Glenn really lean back to put all his energy into singing it, you could tell they all threw absolutely everything they had at the ending.

Ol' 55. Never did harmonies save an Eagles song more than this. I love the steel pedal (as ever on an Eagles song) but were it not for the chorus the rest of it would be a forgettable cover. How fortunate then that they probably produce the best harmonies of their entire career on the chorus. Absolutely beautiful.

Moving onto 1976 and deliberately bypassing the most obvious candidate for this thread (Lyin' Eyes), I will say New Kid in Town. This is Glenn's unparalleled best contribution to the band's discography for me; but I love the final two minutes or so, when the various combinations of voices join in. As well as 'tears on your shoulder...' I also love Glenn's 'and you're still aroooooound' and the way Henley, Randy and Joe (I think) hold the backing vocals whilst he does it, before joining back in for the 'there's a new kid in town' etc. until the end. Wonderful.

My final nomination would be Pretty Maids All in a Row. Not as spectacular as the others I've mentioned, but the way Glenn (I think, and Henley?) harmonises the final verse and chorus, and the subsequent 'Oooh' over the outro (especially when Joe played slide ove it live) is absolutely heartbreaking. How brilliant that the tenderest and most delicate moment on the album came from the newbie with a reputation for good old fashioned rock and roll destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Most of mine have been said but I will add my own comments.

My final nomination would be Pretty Maids All in a Row. Not as spectacular as the others I've mentioned, but the way Glenn (I think, and Henley?) harmonises the final verse and chorus, and the subsequent 'Oooh' over the outro (especially when Joe played slide ove it live) is absolutely heartbreaking. How brilliant that the tenderest and most delicate moment on the album came from the newbie with a reputation for good old fashioned rock and roll destruction.
    I can't speak to how it was performed live, but on the album version, I'm pretty sure that's Henley harmonizing on the final verse. I think Glenn joins in on the 'oooh' parts. This video plays the vocals, drum and bass parts so anyone who is interested can listen and decide for himself. I agree the harmony here is lovely.

It starts about 50 seconds in.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tI7rwWJ1v3g[/ame]

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...