Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Songs you wished you could switch lead vocals

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Songs you wished you could switch lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    There were links posted here at some point to Felder singing VOL live. They weren't bad, but I think the Eagles made the right decision in having Henley sing it on the album. Definitely the right decision.

Most songs I wouldn't change the lead vocals on. Glenn does a credible job on Desperado, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original, IMHO. Ditto for Joe on LITFL. I think Glenn could have done a decent job on LITFL.

For live shows, I would have liked to see Timothy or Don sing TITTL instead of Glenn. Glenn's version is okay, but he doesn't sing high enough for the song. (Again, just my opinion.) Nobody could touch Randy's version.

On the current tour, people have stated some displeasure with the way Vince Gill sings HT. Having Deacon sing it is one option. I think Don could do a great job, but he has enough vocals. Why not give it to Joe? I'd like to hear his version of it, and there's no question it would rock!

I liked both Timothy and Don's live versions of PEF, but still liked Glenn's the best.

I agree that Don likes/liked to sing lead on the songs he wrote most of the lyrics for. And why not? The songs probably have more personal meaning for him. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the band singing TLR or even HC.
    I don't have a problem with people thinking someone else should have sung TITTL but I don't understand why they think it should have been sung high just because Randy sang it that way. As I have said on numerous occasions Glenn put his own spin on it & didn't try to be a clone (because he couldn't).

I actually think Glenn could have sung TLR, but never mind. But as for VOL, it's the lyrics thing again, Henley wrote the lyrics. Therefore Henley sang it. It's a totally Henley lyric which Felder with his limited vocal abilities could not have interpreted well enough. I know SS has heard Felder's version, but as I never will hear it I can't comment on it any further.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't have a problem with people thinking someone else should have sung TITTL but I don't understand why they think it should have been sung high just because Randy sang it that way. As I have said on numerous occasions Glenn put his own spin on it & didn't try to be a clone (because he couldn't).

I actually think Glenn could have sung TLR, but never mind. But as for VOL, it's the lyrics thing again, Henley wrote the lyrics. Therefore Henley sang it. It's a totally Henley lyric which Felder with his limited vocal abilities could not have interpreted well enough. I know SS has heard Felder's version, but as I never will hear it I can't comment on it any further.
    I like Glenn's version of TITTL...but I think that it will always be compared to the original. And, the song itself is (IMO) only an average song lyrically, and Randy's high notes were what made it stand out. I think that's why people immediately think it needs to be sang higher.
    I would have liked to have heard Glenn sing it in the 70s or 80s when his voice was at it's peak. I think 2000 was the first time he sang it wasn't it?
    I wonder why they chose after all that time to do it?

I often wonder what goes into which songs are selected. That would have been an amazing book....The why and how of the Eagles setlist, and which songs were added, dropped, etc. Like Witchy Woman? Why not during HFO? That along with Glenn not doing The Heat is On was a disappointment. I am soo glad they added WW on the HOTE tour.

And BTW...I really do appreciate Glenn not "trying" to copy Randy's voice on the song. I think that makes a song seem a bit fake..when the singer tries to Parrot somebody else's rendition.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I like Glenn's version of TITTL...but I think that it will always be compared to the original. And, the song itself is (IMO) only an average song lyrically, and Randy's high notes were what made it stand out. I think that's why people immediately think it needs to be sang higher.
    I would have liked to have heard Glenn sing it in the 70s or 80s when his voice was at it's peak. I think 2000 was the first time he sang it wasn't it?
    I wonder why they chose after all that time to do it?

I often wonder what goes into which songs are selected. That would have been an amazing book....The why and how of the Eagles setlist, and which songs were added, dropped, etc. Like Witchy Woman? Why not during HFO? That along with Glenn not doing The Heat is On was a disappointment. I am soo glad they added WW on the HOTE tour.

And BTW...I really do appreciate Glenn not "trying" to copy Randy's voice on the song. I think that makes a song seem a bit fake..when the singer tries to Parrot somebody else's rendition.
    Yes, I agree with all of that. I don't know why they decided to revive TITTL.They did THIO very briefly during HFO. I have a version of them doing it in London. It just sounds wrong for the Eagles; wrong. Frey fan that I am, even I can't deny that.

I have a further answer to maryc's post. Much as I would rather totally ignore the current incarnation, I would suggest that Henley, Walsh & Schmit apparently do not wish to sing any of Glenn's songs, all of which have been given to Deacon & the other person (I know; how petty I sound). My own view is it would have been more of a tribute to Glenn if HWS had in fact sung one of his songs each. But that is another issue.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I do agree that Glenn was right not to try to copy Randy's version. He couldn't come close to hitting those notes, even in his younger days. (And neither could anyone else in the band.) I guess it just doesn't sound right to me in the lower key.

When I said TLR, I meant The Last Resort, not the The Long Run. I didn't realize there were two songs with the same initials. I think Glenn might have done a pretty good version of The Long Run. He seemed to like singing along with it when Don sang it, anyway! I don't think The Last Resort would have been right with anyone else on lead vocal.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I do agree that Glenn was right not to try to copy Randy's version. He couldn't come close to hitting those notes, even in his younger days. (And neither could anyone else in the band.) I guess it just doesn't sound right to me in the lower key.

When I said TLR, I meant The Last Resort, not the The Long Run. I didn't realize there were two songs with the same initials. I think Glenn might have done a pretty good version of The Long Run. He seemed to like singing along with it when Don sang it, anyway! I don't think The Last Resort would have been right with anyone else on lead vocal.
    Fair enough - The Last Resort is Don from start to finish. 'Don's opus' I think Glenn called it. As you previously also mentioned HC,that is also for Don & nobody else.

Stuck on the Border

I agree with MaryC & FP, HC and The Last Resort are DH songs. Truthfully, IMHO, TITTL is Randy's song. I like Glenn's version but no one can come close to Randy. That is no knock on Glenn - just MHO that Randy owns that song. I think Glenn could have done TLR and LITFN. And I too would have loved to hear Don Felder's version of VOL.

Side Note: Don gave an interview in 2016 stating he would not do any of Glenn's songs. It may have been the March 2016 interview with the Montreal newspaper but I am not sure. Anyway, he did state he would never sing any of Glenn's songs again - That I am sure about reading. I thought Tim did a beautiful job on PEF and even Joe's TITTL was good last year.
    As I stated earlier, I would have loved to hear more songs from Glenn, Randy, Bernie, Joe and Tim. I loved the Eagles when they all sang as they had great, unique voices.
    *Please, I AM NOT making this a Glenn form, I am just responding to other people's posts.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-09-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Honestly, I don't wish any lead vocals were switched, as I feel the vocalist that was chosen is the correct fit. Having said that, I think it would be interesting to hear some songs sung by someone else, just for curiosity's sake.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I agree with MaryC & FP, HC and The Last Resort are DH songs. Truthfully, IMHO, TITTL is Randy's song. I like Glenn's version but no one can come close to Randy. That is no knock on Glenn - just MHO that Randy owns that song. I think Glenn could have done TLR and LITFN. And I too would have loved to hear Don Felder's version of VOL.

Side Note: Don gave an interview in 2016 stating he would not do any of Glenn's songs. It may have been the March 2016 interview with the Montreal newspaper but I am not sure. Anyway, he did state he would never sing any of Glenn's songs again - That I am sure about reading. I thought Tim did a beautiful job on PEF and even Joe's TITTL was good last year.
    As I stated earlier, I would have loved to hear more songs from Glenn, Randy, Bernie, Joe and Tim. I loved the Eagles when they all sang as they had great, unique voices.
    *Please, I AM NOT making this a Glenn form, I am just responding to other people's posts.
    I guess Don went back on his word, as he sang PEF when I saw him in Boston in June. It was the last song, after Desperado, and he dedicated it to Glenn. Don did a great job with it and his band members contributed beautiful harmonies. I still prefer Glenn's version, but it was a nice tribute.

I always thought even Don did a great job of Nightigale that it was just a Glenn song and more suited to his smooth, sweet nasal tone. Also would've liked hear Glenn try OOTN or Wasted time for a change
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    I always thought even Don did a great job of Nightigale that it was just a Glenn song and more suited to his smooth, sweet nasal tone. Also would've liked hear Glenn try OOTN or Wasted time for a change
    With all due respect, I don't think Glenn had the range for those songs. Well, maybe Wasted Time.
    Last edited by maryc2130; 09-17-2017 at 11:58 AM.