Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Leonard Cohen

Default RIP Leonard Cohen

We've lost one of the legends.

Leonard Cohen, aged 82, rest in peace. Your unmistakable voice will not be forgotten.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Default Re: RIP Leonard Cohen

I just saw that on facebook. I'm listening to Don's and Leonard's version of Everybody Knows right now. Boy those two version are soo different.

To tell the truth. I didn't know who Leonard was until I was looking up Everybody Knows on the internet 2 years ago, he came up on the search.

RIP Leonard

He wrote "Hallelujah" which seemed to be a staple cover on American Idol. That's when I really became aware of him. RIP Mr. Cohen.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I love Hallelujah. A very pretty song.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I gotta admit that I'm only vaguely familiar with Mr. Cohen. I know that he was a prolific American singer-songwriter. May he rest in peace.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Troubadour

Oh no!!! Leonard Cohen as well! What is WRONG with this year? The world is upside down. Leonard Cohen was a genius and deserved the Nobel prize for literature as much as Bob Dylan. Don idolised him - he'll be devastated.

R.I.P. Leonard.
    Last edited by DivineDon; 11-11-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Actually, he was a Canadian. Yes, another legend gone. A friend of mine saw him in concert a couple of years ago (when he was 80). She wasn't that keen on going, but her children had given her the tickets so she was set of obligated.

She was blown away by his performance!

RIP.

RIP Leonard Cohen - another legend gone this year.

Hallelujah is one of my favourite all time songs.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Actually, he was a Canadian. Yes, another legend gone. A friend of mine saw him in concert a couple of years ago (when he was 80). She wasn't that keen on going, but her children had given her the tickets so she was set of obligated.

She was blown away by his performance!

RIP.
    I saw him three years ago, and he sang for 3 hours! He had more stamina than many much younger folks in the audience.

Brilliant songwriter. I first got into his music in 1990, after hearing "Suzanne" on a low-power college radio station. Even with the fuzzy signal, the crystalline beauty of that song just stopped me in my tracks.

If anyone would like a good introduction to his music, may I recommend "Songs of Leonard Cohen" from 1967 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Leonard_Cohen

The 1992 tribute album "I'm Your Fan" by various artists (R.E.M., The Pixies, John Cale, Ian McCulloch) is also highly recommended.

Excuse the cranky critic in me for a moment: Headline News paid tribute to Mr. Cohen this morning by playing a montage of the many young singers and bands who have covered "Hallelujah," all of them over-singing and over-emoting with faux passion. I couldn't help but smile drolly thinking of Cohen's advice to songwriters and performers in his book Stranger Music, advice recommended by Don Henley, against such bathetic displays. Yet, of course, these bands were paying tribute to the man and that is surely appreciated by all.

Ending on a positive note: Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen is a fine singer and a longtime admirer of Leonard Cohen. He's done outstanding covers of "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" and "Lover, Lover, Lover"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcNmIb3tS4
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 11-11-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I'll copy & paste what I wrote on the KISSFAQ forum:

The news made me sad, but I wouldn't call it a tragedy, because he did live a very long life. Dylan said that people fail to mention his melodies. I must add that they also fail to mention his sense of humor. He was an extremely funny man in his own unique way.

"I was born like this, I had no choice
    I was born with the gift of a golden voice"

RIP, Leonard
    Ï love you