Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Prince has died

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Prince has died

Well, we're not the only ones wondering (in a respectful way) why Prince's unfortunate and untimely passing received media saturation: Politico and the National Review have articles on it now.

The Politico article mentions that Chevrolet took out full-page ads in major newspapers across the country to mourn Prince! I ask you: where the hell was Ford's tribute to Glenn?! Ingrates. See if I buy a flat-bed Ford any time soon.

The Chevrolet division of General Motors indicated that the world had lost not just a rock star but an icon who appealed across generations, races, and musical genres by publishing a full-page ad in the New York Times, the Detroit newspapers, the Minneapolis Star Tribune, and USA Today. The ad depicted a little red Corvette against a funereal black background and the caption, “Baby, that was much too fast—1958-2016.”

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz46wpIEeOQ

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Nice catch, NMB. Well, this is basically an ad for Chevy, capitalizing on Prince's death. But it is creative. Ford could have done a sweet piece on Glenn's lyric, guess their ad team isn't as creative or thoughtful.

From the Politico piece: "it’s less informative to look at the merits of the dead individual than it is to check out the demographic makeup of the newsrooms providing the send-off. Had Prince died in 2000, when his artistic footprint was roughly the same as it is today, he would have gotten a lesser reception because his biggest fans were maybe 30 years old, not important enough to agitate for coverage of his life inside the newsroom. Likewise, had Prince waited until 2040 to die, the aging retirees who once bought Purple Rain the day it came out would have been too far out of the cultural current to drive massive coverage proclaiming the importance of his life. But by dying right now, in 2016, Prince left us right when his biggest fans –Prince-loving boomers and Gen Xers – make up the ruling coalition calling the editorial shots. Much the same dynamic applied in 2009, when the media similarly erupted following the death of Michael Jackson."

This is my exact sentiment, posted earlier in this thread...Basically, it's Prince, Michael Jackson, and Madonna - those are the three 80s artists that will invoke the media coverage. Nobody before, and nobody after. Maybe Willie Nelson

Ther is n doubt Price was talented....i just never understood the levels at which he was regarded by the press and piers. In a countdown of greatest artists on vh1 he was number 2 or 3.... And i bet he is up ther on rolling stones list also.

But i dont get it. He has about 5 recognizable songs, not that hits mean everything. But it helps. And some of his hits are anoying. I like purple rain, doves cry...but corvette and the other borde bubble gum pop. He did write the sinnead o conner hit nothing compares to you which is a great song.

Again its just the proportions that gets me. As far as a bad year, get used to it as most rockers from the 60s-80s are getting up ther in age.

I also notice this. Other than popularity. If you had died unexpectedly (for example collapse somewhere in your house and you're unconscious), you are going to big news because the media are going to wonder why you all of a sudden died. In the media or tabloids' eyes, David and Glenn's deaths are not newsworthy. They weren't found unconscious or had a drug overdose.

Scott Weiland, Brittany Murphy, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney, Anna Nicole Smith and others were found unconscious. Of course the media will do anything and everything in their power to find out why they died so young and they will also do anything to destroy their name.

Like I said. I'm glad David, Glenn, Merle, Alan and others didn't have their names drag to the ground. They died in a hospital of common diseases that everyday people most likely to die of and the media didn't go any further. Like I said before. Maybe its good Glenn didn't get this kind of exposure after his death like Prince is. I don't want the media to make Glenn look bad. I want to remember him for his music not have bad memories of how he died and then the media destroying his name or reputation because how he died.

And I don't think the deaths of legendary rockers are going to stop anytime soon which is sad. They are getting up there in age.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 04-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    This is my exact sentiment, posted earlier in this thread...Basically, it's Prince, Michael Jackson, and Madonna - those are the three 80s artists that will invoke the media coverage. Nobody before, and nobody after. Maybe Willie Nelson
    And Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, possibly Keef - there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, deservedly so.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I saw this morning "CBS This Morning" was talking about the Millennial generation and that we have now surpassed the Baby Boomers in size as the largest demographic worldwide. Millennials are considered anyone born between 1982 and 2004. I still consider myself under the older name of Generation Y, which was anyone born from 1982-1990, and mostly because my family didn't get our first computer till I was 12 so I remember life before computers. LOL

But again Prince was a huge influence on my generation and we make up a large demographic now so that's part of the reason we're getting so much coverage too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I also notice this. Other than popularity. If you had died unexpectedly (for example collapse somewhere in your house and you're unconscious), you are going to big news because the media are going to wonder why you all of a sudden died. In the media or trabloids' eyes, David and Glenn's deaths are not newsworthy. They weren't found unconscious or had a drug overdose.

Scott Weiland, Brittany Murphy, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney, Anna Nicole Smith and others were found unconscious. Of course the media will do anything and everything in their power to find out why they died some young and they will also do anything to destroy their name.

Like I said. I'm glad David, Glenn, Merle, Alan and others didn't have their names drag to the ground. They died in a hospital of a common diseases that everyday people most likely to die of and the media didn't go any further. Like I said before. Maybe its good Glenn didn't get this kind of exposure after his death like Prince is. I don't want the media to make Glenn look bad. I want to remember him for his music not have bad memories of how he died and then the media destroying his name or reputation because how he died.

And I don't think the deaths of legendary rockers are going to stop anytime soon which is said. They are getting up there in age.
    You keep talking about the actual death. I think what most people are getting at is the amount of media coverage the artist's work had, not the manner of death. I tried to explain in an earlier post that Glenn's musical output had been so limited in recent years that there wasn't going to be much attention given. Most think he did his best work four decades ago, in the 70s. They don't know what else he did. To paraphrase Don McLean, perhaps they never will. It has nothing to do with him being 'destroyed'. He wasn't seen as that significant a figure in musical terms. I am sorry to be so blunt & I obviously don't share this opinion but that seems to be the case.

When Bowie died the vast majority of the musicians I follow on Facebook left tributes. When Prince died they did the same. When Glenn died the only musician I follow who left a tribute was Robbie Robertson, which surprised me. The only other tributes he seemd to get were from a couple of members of Kiss & a few country rock acts (yes, some people did perform Take It Easy but I am talking about their Facebook pages).

I think there is a hysteria with a death involving drugs..

But I am open-minded, and listened to some stuff - I like the song "Purple Rain". Me and friends used the song "When Doves Cry" to make jokes.. At work, when someone wanted to communicate, we'd hit the desk to the beat (dum da da dum... dum da da dum).. Eventually we'd change lyrics "Sit if you will on Jon Forbes' stomache" etc....

I have listened to the song "Purple Rain" quite a lot... Sounds a lot like Journey's "Faithfully".

I know this is pure exploitation. Notice yesterday with the elections, they dropped it. I've joked in the past that Ferguson cured Ebola.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You keep talking about the actual death. I think what most people are getting at is the amount of media coverage the artist's work had, not the manner of death. I tried to explain in an earlier post that Glenn's musical output had been so limited in recent years that there wasn't going to be much attention given. Most think he did his best work four decades ago, in the 70s. They don't know what else he did. To paraphrase Don McLean, perhaps they never will. It has nothing to do with him being 'destroyed'. He wasn't seen as that significant a figure in musical terms. I am sorry to be so blunt & I obviously don't share this opinion but that seems to be the case.

When Bowie died the vast majority of the musicians I follow on Facebook left tributes. When Prince died they did the same. When Glenn died the only musician I follow who left a tribute was Robbie Robertson, which surprised me. The only other tributes he seemd to get were from a couple of members of Kiss & a few country rock acts (yes, some people did perform Take It Easy but I am talking about their Facebook pages).
    I have seen a few facebook posts that paid tribute to Glenn and these people I followed. And of course some twitter post from some artist and actors. I even posted a few I found after Glenn's death. Don Johnson, Ken Wahl, Vince Gill, Kareem Abdul Jabar, MeatLoaf, Huey Lewis, Kris Jenner, Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, a few country singers I know some don't know so I won't name, Donny Osmond (of the Osmond family) etc post on their pages or in an article about Glenn. Bruce Springsteen(which I think is the only artist I know who has paid tribute to a lot of artist who died this year. He didn't have to do that, but that tells me he respects their music a lot. HE put one of their biggest hits in his show), I think Elton John, Dwight Yoakam, Billy Joel, Sheryl Crow(at the RnR HoF this year), Keith Urban, Vince Gill, and Brian May paid tribute to Glenn in their shows. Eric Church did that little tribute to a few artist who died this year at the ACM's.

I might get fussed at for my post, but at this point. I'm just tired trying to defend what I write. It may not be as much to some compare to David or Prince, but I'm glad some like Glenn's and the Eagles music. Some of the artists I've seen I was shocked they were fans.

I'm just going to stay quiet about this topic. I'm throwing my hands up on this.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 04-27-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Why, Shun? I thought it was a friendly, civil discussion. I'm sorry if you felt like you had to defend what you wrote. We all respect each other, even when we don't agree.