Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Prince has died

Default Re: Prince has died

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    Full non stop cverage by cnn and the like. Funny how little tv news time Glenn Frey got in comparision.
    Exactly.. Should have been the other way around. But the news is big business, loves gossip, loves to trivialize our lives.

I have a couple of prince albums and will have to listen closely because i never got him that much. People call him a genius but to me his big hits were basic pop...little red corvette etc...he was even on so e countdown not long ago as the greatest musical artists of the 20th century coming in at 2 or 3. Really? I dont know.

I know its sad that Glenn didn't get that much news on his death, but when you think about it. Maybe its good they didn't because too much news about somebody people will get tired of it. I don't think David had round the clock coverage of his death like they are doing with Prince.

I'm glad they are not in Cindy's face or even the guys face. Don said that one statement about The Eagles being over and that was it. Joe hasn't said much and Timothy has been very quiet.

The reason why Prince is getting so much news about his death is because they are wondering how all of a sudden a 57 year old probably healthy man died all of a sudden especially when he was fine days before his death. Sad to say. Its going to be a while before the news die down on Prince's death. Even though Glenn and David kept their health crisis a secret(meaning when Glenn got very sick in November, we didn't know how bad it was until he died or when David died of cancer and we didn't know he was very sick), it wasn't newsworthy as Prince dying unexpectedly of an unknown illness.

There's no story. No gossip secrets hiding behind David's or Glenn's death since we knew what they died of. You have to think of what's going on in their heads. Hmm Glenn Frey died from complications of different diseases. OK. Nothing interesting. Hmm David Bowie died of liver cancer. Hmm Nobody knew he was dying, but maybe dug into when he got sick. You have go inside their heads. To the media, they didn't need to dug any further other than how they got sucker punched without knowing how sick they were especially David.

Even though Glenn and the Eagles been out longer than Prince, IMO to the world he was more popular(sad to say) and his life was more interesting than Glenn's and even David's. And these two guys came out way before we heard of Prince.

I wouldn't be surprise if Prince gets a whole cover of him and even a whole issue on Rolling Stone(I know Ebony and Essence will have something on him) while we are still waiting to see if Rolling Stone or any magazine will dedicate a whole issue to Glenn. Heck. Rolling Stone did a cover or issue on Merle. You can see where their priorities are.

Even though Prince had fans of all color, the black community is hurt with his death(I'm black myself. So I'm including myself). We have lost Michael, Whitney and now Prince. They were our childhood soundtrack of our life.

But Prince was soo young. He was only 10 years younger than Glenn. I've never thought in a million years Prince would die young.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 04-22-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Prince has died

I cant cry. I mean it's like I'm so immune to death this year. my facebook is flooded with him and it's like I cant even believe it. Like Glenn, my friends told me to not go on facebook. this is just heartbreaking. Purple Rain was the soundtrack of my life. and again like Glenn this is going to be hell to get over.

Stuck on the Border

Glenn described "Living in Darkness" as "my Prince tune".

I'm shocked Prince was as old as 57 as I'd assumed he was younger than me - and Michael Jackson. It seems like this is how it's going to be from now on

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Count me as one who isn't a fan, but respects his music. The only song I care for is Little Red Corvette. The mysterious and unknown circumstances surrounding this death will be making headlines for weeks to come. With Glenn, almost all of us could figure out his cause of death before we read the statement. Plus, Prince being a solo artist only, his name is a household name.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    Full non stop cverage by cnn and the like. Funny how little tv news time Glenn Frey got in comparision.

I am glad I am not the only person who feels this way! I don't recall any building being lit a special way in honor of Glenn.

Prince was a big influence on musicians and he was pretty popular so I can understand why he would get so many tributes, let's not knock the tributes.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I knew Prince would get more of a reaction and I'm not surprised it was bigger than Bowie. Prince has such a huge fanbase with so many generations, races, and musicians from all genres seemed to be posting about it yesterday. I know being part of the younger generations almost everyone I knew in school loved Prince and Michael Jackson as I did, but I still got made fun of listening to older music when I brought up loving The Beatles and the Eagles and others. Plus, with the way he died and how he was younger than Glenn it was expected to be more coverage.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Mmm, I don't know the reason why. I would have thought the Eagles had a bigger impact on music but I'm more of a rock person, that's the perspective I'm coming from. Maybe because Glenn was part of a group, that diluted his name recognition in comparison to Prince.

I can appreciate the love that people are expressing for Prince. Even though I wasn't a huge fan, I had two of his albums from back in the day and anyone can see what a brilliant musician he was, the real deal.

Still though, I had to wince just a little at the somewhat hyperbolic tributes on CNN last night: he was the only black man to bravely confront masculine stereotypes (umm, except for Little Richard, who did it in the 50s?) and blend sexuality with spirituality (Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke) and he created a sound never heard before, mixing funk and rock with social activism (Sly & the Family Stone, people)! And those influences were no secret, I'm pretty sure Prince openly acknowledged those who came before and inspired him.

Maybe as Buffy says, it's just too long ago for some folks.